any way of getting video from an oler computer into my avr

Well here goes, I have about a 10 y/o Gateway desk top computer and for my avr a Yamaha RX-V665 about 5 years old. Now before we begin I'm not at all what you would call computer literate so be gentle if this can work.I already called Yamaha and my avr is not new enough so they said and to ask more folks like you .Now for audio and it works I have a minijack out of the headphone port of the computer into a Y spliitter into 2 rca cables. These cables run from the computer to audio1 to the rear of the avr and I p/u I-net radio and YOU-Tube and I-Tunes just fine.How can I get video from one to the other I do have a couple of unused HDMI jacks on the avr but no such animal on the Gateway.I think I still have USB ports at the rear of the computer. Is this possible ?

I assume you are running a version of Windows on your Gateway. Which version? You could probably get an HDMI card for your PC, and they aren't too expensive.

I run vga out of a PC directly into my TV. I feed the audio directly to my TV as well, as I take the optical audio out back to my OLD HK430. I use a cheap RS optical to analog box, since the HK only has analog RCAs going in.

Bruce

Marvel, I assume it's Windows 7. I already use toslink from cable box right into the avr so that ia taken care of . This HDMI card does interest me. My other problem which I failed to mention is that my computer is in my bdrm and all my audio stuff is in the living rm to which those RCA cables I spoke about before are 30 footers. So I guess a monoprice long HDMI cable if I go this route would be in order. But it looks possible and that's the answer I was looking for.

This HDMI card does interest me. My other problem which I failed to mention is that my computer is in my bdrm and all my audio stuff is in the living rm to which those RCA cables I spoke about before are 30 footers.

I think that is long for HDMI. That should also carry your audio, with it (other than helping oir A/V guys at school, I try to ignore some of this stuff. I'm not really an HT fan).

Blue Jeans Cable has some good info on distances with certain HDMI cable. The price for quality goes up, of course.

Bruce

I agree the length seems a little long but I have no problems w/ the audio at all. Any i-net channel no hum or any other noise. Now I had another idea .Would it be possible to have a VGA out of the monitor to Hdmi .Again it would be the same length and Monoprice and others do have all kinds of lenghts of cables.I just need to know for sure that it would work beforre I invested in any amount.

I think vga from computer directly to vga on my tv. Now I have another problem w/ this method. My tv is already hung and is a pita to get to ports now.

I think this is the only way to do this and if i really want it I'll find a wayw/ some help. either Mono price or parts express has these cables for very little money for the runs involved. thanks guys.