Chorus bass reflex vs. Chorus II passive?

vnzbd

Has anyone ever removed /sealed the passive of a Chorus II and ported it like the Chorus I? Maybe due to damaged Passives, I am considering due to proper wall spacing for the passive. I belive you would lose about 6 hz due to the specs, db unknown. They have the same size cabinet and same woofer. Just wondering! Thanks.

Has anyone ever removed /sealed the passive of a Chorus II and ported it like the Chorus I? Maybe due to damaged Passives, I am considering due to proper wall spacing for the passive. I belive you would lose about 6 hz due to the specs, db unknown. They have the same size cabinet and same woofer. Just wondering! Thanks.

It's just not about the bass. Which the II does go lower. The II's also have a totally different midrange driver and horn. The II's just need to be about 6" to a foot away from the wall to get good bass.

If your passives are damaged, they can be reconed. Lot less hassle than sealing and porting a II.

It's just not about the bass. Which the II does go lower. The II's also have a totally different midrange driver and horn. The II's just need to be about 6" to a foot away from the wall to get good bass.

If your passives are damaged, they can be reconed. Lot less hassle than sealing and porting a II.

Not to mention the change in $ value.

I have found that the sound better in my room about 18" from the wall but then they stick out too far. At the 6" mark the bass is a little muddy. I would view the different mids/horn as a plus for the II. The port could be put into the cover of the passive so that no cutting of the cabinet would be needed and the passive could be replaced when wanted....

Thanks for the input!

I have found that the sound better in my room about 18" from the wall but then they stick out too far. At the 6" mark the bass is a little muddy. I would view the different mids/horn as a plus for the II. The port could be put into the cover of the passive so that no cutting of the cabinet would be needed and the passive could be replaced when wanted....

Thanks for the input!

If you remove the passive and put the ports in the rear, you will have the same problem with wall placement. With the ports in the front, it doesn't matter with the distance concerning the rear wall.

the space reason is why I want 1 of each: Chorus AND Chorus II...

Thanks for the input!

If you remove the passive and put the ports in the rear, you will have the same problem with wall placement. With the ports in the front, it doesn't matter with the distance concerning the rear wall.

The port could be put into the cover of the passive so that no cutting of the cabinet would be needed and the passive could be replaced when wanted....

I've pointed this out before, and it makes a lot of sense to me. You could change the port size to tune it slightly lower while you are at it, to match the passive tuning.

Bruce

IMHO this would be a major mistake ! The Chorus I is no match for the Chorus II . What receiver or amp/preamp combo are you using ?

I don't recall ever seeing a set on the original Chorus comming for sale in south FL, I don't believe that I have even heard a set before. I think that I would miss the CII's mid........

Anyway, just a thought.....

Thanks again for the input!

no reason you cannot vent a pair of Chorus ll to work with the passive replaced by plywood blanks. As said already you will have to place them on the front if you you want to get around the front wall loading issues. I would not sell your speakers. Best regards Moray James.