Suggestions for Reference 7 7.1 speaker placement in new construction theater

lwsplking

Hello,

I was hoping perhaps the pro's here on this forum could assist me in planning out my home theater. Our new home is scheduled to begin construction here in the next few weeks and I am having a hard time figuring out what I want to do insofar as speaker placement in my home theater, the room is not exactly par for the course for a theater room.

I am curious if it would make more sense to try to get in ceiling rears/surrounds or try to have something done insofar as adding beams or a coffered ceiling or something to mount the surrounds and rears.

My front soundstage I intend to mount behind an accoustically transparent screen.

Attached are the floor plans for the open theater room. The dim's on the diagonal wall are not final, they will be more set in stone as we go. (hopefully the link worked) LINK

Any help you can offer up is most appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Since you are going to use an acoustically transparent screen, investigate Seymour. They will send you a sample fabric. Several forum menbers have them and like them. www.seymourav.com.

Many home theater screens are too small. With a projector and your AT screen, you can go for a big image. Get the projector first and experiment with different sizes using a bed sheet.

I'd be tempted to put surrounds and rears on pedestals, with the tweeters at the same height as the tweeters in your fronts, or a foot or two higher. Hanging them is O.K. if the construction of the cabinets is strong enough to take it. In-ceiling speakers have never impressed me, but I haven't heard the most recent ones.

How high will the ceiling be?

Tow all speakers in toward the listeners, with the possible exception of the surrounds and rears.

Thanks for the screen suggestions. I was hoping to go for something in the 130" range, preferrably a curved screen but if the price is prohibative then obviously would go with the more traditional route. My initial desire was for a 2.35:1 screen, but with so few blu-rays being delivered in that format I will probably go with something more traditional. I was hoping to stay under $2k for the screen.

I will have 9' ceilings in the basement where my theater area will be.

Thanks for the screen suggestions. I was hoping to go for something in the 130" range, preferrably a curved screen but if the price is prohibative then obviously would go with the more traditional route. My initial desire was for a 2.35:1 screen, but with so few blu-rays being delivered in that format I will probably go with something more traditional. I was hoping to stay under $2k for the screen.

I will have 9' ceilings in the basement where my theater area will be.

We went 130" and 2.35:1, and love it. It seems that every 3 rd movie we rent is 2.35:1 (or 2.2:1 in the case of most 70 mm), and we don't generally rent action movies. If we had to pick a category, it would be drama. Having a 2.35:1 screen is in keeping with the intentions of a director who selects it. S/he intends for the image to be of a greater area than with 1.85:1 or 1.78:1, etc., not less, and not a letterbox.

If you really want a curved screen, Seymour will sell you the fabric alone, and you can mount it on a curved frame. They may also manufacture one now. We wanted one, but it would have had to swing up out of the way to see the view between movies in our room and we just couldn't design one that would do so gracefully. Some people would argue that the only time a curved screen is helpful is when there is bow-tie distortion as with some anamorphic attachments, but I found the one I had in a different house to increase the sense of reality, involvement, and immersion. The curve has to be rather slight, or else there may be distortion. Try your frame with bedsheets.

• 3 months later...

I went with 130" Silver Spandex screen and have been completely impressed. Mine is 16:9 with electric masking to 2.35:1. You can build that for under $200. It is AT and the image looks great if your projector has the lumens to support it. I have an Epson 8350. Look at my build thread for screen details and room pics. Also, I really like the look of the silver when the screen is not in use. It is not the eyesore a bright white screen is and the contrast is superb.

http://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/143424-ht-upgrade-wet-bar-at-screen-fireplace/page-9

As far as surrounds, I have my side speakers wall mounted (one hidden above the fireplace). My rear speakers are ceiling mounted and angled down to the primary listening area.

I have been very please with this setup. The pedestals just get in the way to much IMO.

Edited by WakeJunkie