NOSValves NBS preamp in the house!!

After a 6 month wait, I finally have the new NOSValves NBS preamp in the house! [:D]

There were a few delays due to some unforeseen issues, but the wait was finally worth it. I'm still waiting on Tom Keady to finish the cherry wood case, but thats just the finishing touch! I should have that by next weekend.

As for the sound I'm very satisfied with the preamp. I loved my JMA BlueBerry Xtreme, but this preamp is quieter, has a darker background and is much more detailed. There are no circuit boards in this preamp and its all point to point wiring by Craig. I will upload a few pictures that Craig sent me, and then will update with the finished product after receiving the wood case.

I decided to go all out with this preamp and ordered some pretty pricey tubes from Brent Jessie. The 12AT7's are a matched set of NOS Telefunken ECC801S's, and the 12AX7 is a NOS Telefunken red tip. The 6DJ8 slot is a 1960's NOS Siemans CCA. With the BBX preamp it was very difficult finding a quiet 6DJ8, but this tube is dead quiet. You pay a little extra with Brent but you always get what you pay for.

All in all I'm very happy with the sound, and after I get some tube break-in I know its going to sound even better. I want to thank Craig for giving me an opportunity to take my system to the next level, and to offering the Forum a world class preamp at a very affordable price point. We are very lucky to have someone on our Forum making affordable products, and providing fair priced repair services for a number of other vintage pieces. Thanks Craig, you have been a good friend over the last 12 years!

I would also like to thank my good friend Gary Powers (Garymd) for alerting me to this preamp. Gary and I have similar setups, and I have heard his system on a number of occasions, and it never ceases to amaze me. When he told me this preamp was the real deal, I knew I had to have one! [:)] I also want to thank Marty (Thebes) and Larry Clare (LarryC) for their outstanding reviews of the preamp. Their positive feedback was another factor in pulling the trigger on it. I know Craig is in the middle of making 8 or 9 more, and I'll be very anxious to read other reviews in the next month or so.

Mike

post-6388-13819855675222_thumb.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review Mike, it's very tempting. What are your thoughts on the phono section?

Please post more pics when you get the cabinet completed.

The phono section is what this preamp is all about! I have been spinning records for about 10 - 12 hours so far, and it just keeps getting better and better! [:D]

I have actually started to experiment a little with my Khorns and I'm really liking the results. I have pulled them out of the corners about 8" or so into the room and the image has improved greatly, without any loss (to the ear) of bottom end extension. I only had one good corner anyway but have closed in backs, and there is plenty of bottom end in these khorns.

I am really thrilled with this preamp! I'm hearing things in my record collection for the very first time! [:)] Thanks for all the kind words!

Mike

Glad you like it Mike! Mine sounds better every day. I'm blown away every time I play a record. Played Workingman's Dead yesterday and couldn't believe the detail I'd never noticed before. I know that's a cliche but I don't know how else to describe what I'm hearing....just amazing. BTW - Yours is beautiful! Some day when Craig catches up I'll trade in my prototype for one that looks like yours.....

Glad you like it Mike! Mine sounds better every day. I'm blown away every time I play a record. Played Workingman's Dead yesterday and couldn't believe the detail I'd never noticed before. I know that's a cliche but I don't know how else to describe what I'm hearing....just amazing. BTW - Yours is beautiful! Some day when Craig catches up I'll trade in my prototype for one that looks like yours.....

Yeah, I'm working from home today so am getting a little extended listening time in. I just played my first CD, and gotta say it's very impressive! Patricia Barber's Companion on XRCD. Without question, the best a CD has ever sounded in my living room!

Can't remember what yours looks like, but I'll bet mine cost more! [;)] Look forward to seeing you at the Chris Isaak concert!

Mike

Mike,

That's a great (and clean) looking preamp. I know Craig takes his time with these designs and I'm sure it's everything everyone is saying. I especially like the cabinet. Just a great looking setup.

I wish there was a line level version. I could consider one of those.

What amp are you using? Do you have VRDs?

Edit: Duh! I see you do have VRDs. [:D]