NOSValves NBS preamp in the house!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did ask him, and he said it wouldn't be much work to mod it -- but it's not at the forefront of his thinking right now. He has a lot of his plate right now, and for those who don't know, his wife Becky is fighting Cancer. The family is under an absurd amount of stress right now.

Line stage only will be officially released this fall when I come up for air from building all of these preorders... All it will really require is a new face plate that removes the phono option on the selector switch and in the naming lines on the face plate. I'll also have a plate made to fit over the phono related holes on the rear. I was thinking of offering the line stage in two configurations one identical to the line stage of the line/phono preamp for those who drive tube amps and another with a cathode follower low impedance output to drive SS amps with low input impedance.

Lee Weed order the Line/Phono with the phono section not installed... when the face plate is available he can opt to send his back to update it to the new face plate without the Phono options on it.

Heck if I received a couple orders for line only version and the customers were willing to wait a few months I'd just order it up now. It really is going to be a simple addition.

Mike thanks for posting this and I'm glad you are enjoying it! I will clarify one point you made. The phono is only switchable between LOMC and MM if the LOMC option is ordered.

Mike thanks for posting this and I'm glad you are enjoying it! I will clarify one point you made. The phono is only switchable between LOMC and MM if the LOMC option is ordered.

Who would order it any other way? Stick out tongue

Mike

Mike,

Actually so far the withouts beat the with's by 6 to 4 with 1 no phono section at all LOL!! The MM phono stage sounds really good too with a decent high output moving coil...

Mike - Just wait a few months for the step-up to fully break in. Mine is far and away a better sounding unit than it was just a month ago and it really does seem to improve every time I play an LP.

Craig - I've been thinking about you guys and hope things are getting better. I'll call you sometime this week. Sending good vibes your way as always my friend.

Mike - Just wait a few months for the step-up to fully break in. Mine is far and away a better sounding unit than it was just a month ago and it really does seem to improve every time I play an LP.

Thanks Gary! Craig mentioned it could take a few hunderd hours for the step-up to break in. In addition, all of my tubes are new, so I'm going thru that as well.

My only complaint (and it's very minor) is there is some noise with no music playing and the volume at about the 100 - 105db level (agree, that's pretty loud ;-). Craig said it's coming from the Step-Up transformer and he is correct. When I plug the TT into the MM input and flip the selector switch to MM I do not hear it. He mentioned when things settle down he can address that. Just to be fair I had the same noise coming from the BBX only it was louder. :-)

All in all I couldn't be happier with this preamp.Thanks again Craig!! And like Gary mentioned, I wish you and yours nothing but the best. Keep positive and keep pushing on.

Mike

Line stage only will be officially released this fall when I come up for air from building all of these preorders... All it will really require is a new face plate that removes the phono option on the selector switch and in the naming lines on the face plate. I'll also have a plate made to fit over the phono related holes on the rear. I was thinking of offering the line stage in two configurations one identical to the line stage of the line/phono preamp for those who drive tube amps and another with a cathode follower low impedance output to drive SS amps with low input impedance.

Lee Weed order the Line/Phono with the phono section not installed... when the face plate is available he can opt to send his back to update it to the new face plate without the Phono options on it.

Heck if I received a couple orders for line only version and the customers were willing to wait a few months I'd just order it up now. It really is going to be a simple addition.

Craig, I can verbally commit to a linestage right now.....I am in Africa right now on Safari and will be able to firm it up when I get back.

Sorry about the difficulties you are facing right now with your wife....I hope everything works out great for you!

Craig, I can verbally commit to a linestage right now.....I am in Africa right now on Safari and will be able to firm it up when I get back.

Sorry about the difficulties you are facing right now with your wife....I hope everything works out great for you!

What are you on Safari after? Sounds like a blast. Thanks for the well wishes.

Dean called me earlier and mentioned he thought I should clarify the standard line stage tube that comes in these preamps is the 6H30 (super tube) not a 6DJ8 like shown in Mike's preamp. If a 6DJ8 is desired by the customer he is responsible for sourcing a quiet example of his liking and have it sent to me. It's takes a real primo 6DJ8 to best the 6H30 sonically even then its not some earth shattering difference and it also takes a nice "new" one to equal it in noise floor. The market is full of used still test good vintage 6DJ8's so don't fall for that trap. Also the preamplifier has to be built for one tube or the other they are not interchangeable.

Thanks for mentioning the need to clarify this Dean.

What are you on Safari after? Sounds like a blast. Thanks for the well wishes.

A photographic Safari in Tanzania and Kenya....Not Hunting......Currently in a National Park in Tanzania.

I took a safari in Kenya when I was in the Navy. Saw some beautiful animals.

Dean called me earlier and mentioned he thought I should clarify the standard line stage tube that comes in these preamps is the 6H30 (super tube) not a 6DJ8 like shown in Mike's preamp. If a 6DJ8 is desired by the customer he is responsible for sourcing a quiet example of his liking and have it sent to me. It's takes a real primo 6DJ8 to best the 6H30 sonically even then its not some earth shattering difference and it also takes a nice "new" one to equal it in noise floor. The market is full of used still test good vintage 6DJ8's so don't fall for that trap. Also the preamplifier has to be built for one tube or the other they are not interchangeable.

Thanks for mentioning the need to clarify this Dean.

FYI - I also use a 6DJ8 (actually it's a really old NOS Cca). I was the first to break the seal on this late 50s/early 60s Siemans Cca and also used it in my BBX (guess that means it ain't NOS anymore)....thanks to my good buddy and extremely generous friend, Gilbert. Never heard a 6H30 in my system and doubt I ever will assuming the Cca remains quiet and Gilbert doesn't ask me to return it.

I had an original Peach with the 6DJ8/6922. Then sent to Mark D. for an upgrade to the 6H30 (otherwise known as the "super tube"). Came back much improved. Quiter (less hiss), and clearer. I also found I didn't need an expensive NOS 6H30. An Electroharmonix current production tube sounds just fine.

I'm assuming from what I have been hearing from early reports that the NBS takes what I'm saying to the next level..........as it is a newer design.

Gary,

I actually have a plan for you to hear the 6H30 in your system when we get around to changing out your prototype for a final production. I thought about it the other day. When the time comes I'll ship you my proto type to use while you send me your prototype back for me to remove the SUT and of course your Cca.