Crossover Roadshow

Deang

Dean,

If you still have this setup, connect the input (+ and -) to an amplifier and connect the output (+ and -) to a speaker. Now measure the DC bias from A to B, C to D, E to F and G to H.

I get 0.00 at all of the referenced points.

post-1106-0-75920000-1396398166_thumb.jp

No, it's right. The negative wire from the amp is running behind the CD player, around the driver, and then connected directly to the tab. The positive wire comes out of the amp, to the makeshift four point barrier strip on the left, then the circuit, which connects to the three point barrier strip on the right, and then to the driver. It's just like your drawing. Besides, music is playing. : )

Okay, here's the JBL circuit.

post-1106-0-65720000-1396399429_thumb.jp

post-1106-0-39240000-1396399458_thumb.jp

I would use 1MΩ, anything high should be fine.

Some brands of resistors get hard-to-find, and expensive above 1MΩ

The Vandesteen 5A's use three batteries per network (and all three look to be connected in series), and they are soldered in place. This is not rational as the internal cells of the battery are not soldered. Just use a good battery holder, or be very carful if you solder to the battery. Batteries with in excess of 10 years are available.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.avsforum.com/t/772928/vandersteen-von-schweikerts/60&sa=U&ei=NpA7U5f1ONH8yAHKnYHQDA&ved=0CE4Q9QEwEDgU&sig2=8CP7U5Vs5gOyVIMcYIpSZg&usg=AFQjCNGeZz2ntZ5Iy6_4u82aGBLzC9jfHw

Edited by djk

No, that would be bad, it would be like crossing the streams.

If you break the ground reference, you have, according to Mark, nothing but air, which sounds really bad - or if you measure it - has no sound at all.

"What did you think of JW's data?"

Scary, don't let just anyone see it or they would never buy a Klipsch speaker.

I bought the test gear we talked about, now I need to get a laptop to install it on.

Funny. We still have critical piece of data missing, let's see what happens.

The bias improves the low level detail, the quite passages are less noisy, making the detail easier to hear.

I connected the batteries to my Cornwalls yesterday, and my first take with the sound is what you mention above. The lack of grain/noise brings out more detail, with a blacker background.

My ears noticed the difference...

My Corns sound really good, now...really good...

Thanks Mike. I hope you don't mind, but I posted the email you sent me last night on Aletheia's Facebook page. You know what they say, easier to ask for forgiveness ... :)

Thaddeus summed it up best:

"Unrelated testers with varying levels of experience and no financial incentive or bias ... All reporting similar results."

Because of the great (and consistent) feedback, I'm going production with this. I'll try to get something up on my website by this weekend.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by DeanG

Thanks Mike. I hope you don't mind, but I posted the email you sent me last night on Aletheia's Facebook page. You know what they say, easier to ask for forgiveness ... :)

"Unrelated testers with varying levels of experience and no financial incentive or bias ... All reporting similar results."

For sure.

Because of the great (and consistent) feedback, I'm going production with this. I'll try to get something up on my website by this weekend.

Thanks everyone.

No problem...thank you as well.

For sure.

Thanks everyone.

Its awesome that 5 people like this network, but its far from unbiased.

Just having Dean build it, and no financial incentive is bias enough.

Just knowing what the objective is and theory can tilt the scales.

Fortunately the battery bias should have no ill effects, and is relatively cheap to build.

Dean, I think its neat that you have applied this to Klipsch networks, I am not sure it is necessary or will compare to your paper/oil builds, but at least you have tried something new.

Craig