Crossover Roadshow

Deang

Christopher,

DJK did the capacitor table and the various tables showing the turns ratios were done by Al and Bob. I just recently learned the math which I needed to do so I could finish the capacitor table. The 3619-ET has 6 additional attenuation settings that the 3636 doesn't have (-13dB through -18dB).

Yes, it is the parallel resistor on the autotransformer that makes it possible to attenuate on the fly -- "wire switch", I like that. :-) The impedance always stays right around 8 ohms regardless of the attenuation setting.

Would one use the 1db step cap values if one put a 3636 transformer in place of the old T2A to gain more control over a stock Heritage crossover? Finally are these values for the Atlas K55V driver using 15 ohms as the impedance?

Yes and yes. Don't forget though that the values are for the 400Hz crossover point only.

At the beginning of the thread I couldn't figure out why someone wouldn't want to try something different for free. I mean, I used to spend a lot of money trying different things just so I could experience first hand what others were talking about, so it just seemed really odd to me. For whatever reason, it eventually caught on and the list keeps getting longer. Next year I'll do the same with a different set of crossovers but I'll make the announcement from my website or Facebook page, which in hindsight is what I probably should have done to begin with.

Gezzzz get busy and don't drop by this thread for a couple days and what happens...Erik and Dean start a love fest. Mark is proven to overreact insulting half the forum about something that was never even pointed at him.

THIS THREAD HAS TURNED INTO COMPLETE BS ......um ducking for cover [;)]

Gezzzz get busy and don't drop by this thread for a couple days and what happens...Erik and Dean start a love fest. Mark is proven to overreact insulting half the forum about something that was never even pointed at him.

THIS THREAD HAS TURNED INTO COMPLETE BS ......um ducking for cover Wink

Well to try and get this thread back on track, the crossovers arrived here today! I played them briefly but am about ready to set in with them for a bit and maybe play with the settings on the taps. On first listen they seem a bit layed back and maybe the volume seems a bit lower, but to be honest my amp was not warmed up at all before it tried them. I'm very anxious to give them a long listen.

Thank you Dean for the chance to try these out for nothing, seriously it doesn't get any better than that!

I'm betting you won't want quite as much attenuation, Rusty. I think it is best to take your time at each setting you are going to try and not rush it. With those Fastracs I'd start at either x-3 or 0-2 and work your way up (less attenuation). You could start with MORE attenuation but that is going to be pretty severe attenuation with K55 and fastracs I think. Just my opinion.

These were shipped to you by Nick who is using big horns and drivers, he probably left the jumpers where they worked best for him, which would NOT be anywhere near the best place for you! I would start with either 5 (pos) and 2 (neg) or 4 (pos) and X (neg).

Rusty, please email or call me if you need any help or just have questions.

- / + dB

------- ----

X – 1 -22.7

1 – 2 -19.7

2 – 3 -16.7

0 – X -15.0

3 – 4 -13.7

0 – 1 -12.0 (probable starting point for drivers with 2" exit/ BMS, B&C, Radian, etc.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
X – 3 -9.8

0 – 2 -9.0

1 – 4 -6.8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 – 3 -6.0 (preferred by many who listen louder than most)

X – 4 -5.5 (default setting using Al's Trachorn or Dave's Fastrac)

2 – 5 -3.8 (my preferred default setting for stock Klipsch components)

0 – 4 -3.0 (Klipsch stock setting)

he probably left the jumpers where they worked best for him,

I did nothing of the short, wait did I Rusty. I could have sworn I put them back were you told me to, maybe not. But shouldn't be to hard to figure it out, these are easy enough to change were I don't think anyone would need a switch to do so[;)]

That's because it was never talked about. Cut-throat wants to disconnect his woofers from his passives, use an active filter and additional amp to power his bass bins, but still use the high pass of this passives to run his midrange and tweeter. I told him it wasn't a very good idea to do it that way and that I really didn't want to deal with his question in this thread. I had suggested that he take his question over to the technical section and start a new thread. Instead, he waits a couple of days and posts a link to Rod Elliott's page on bi-amplification. I really don't want the thread hijacked, why don't people get that?

Great... so I am not losing my ability to read. Now, back to crossovers; have you looked at what would be needed to do a crossover for the KSP400's? And/or an upgraded power supply board for it? I know most of your stuff is heritage but I would suspect the newer (older) stuff would benefit as well from your work... particularly when one of my speakers decided to blow a capacitor (I believe it is probably the power supply to the sub) suggesting to me these old boards need updating. Also have a few other speakers that might benefit... KG4's, Heresies.... they wouldn't necessarily need to be your normal works of art and these are meant to be hidden.