Crossover Roadshow

Deang

Okay everyone, level with me. Why isn't anyone interested in trying this? Where is the curiosity that really is the thing that drives our hobby? The goal is seeing if I can increase your pleasure in listening. Sure, I might make a little bit of money, but is that idea really so offensive, I mean, people recommend other equipment to each other here (which drives up sales for companies like Oppo, Emotiva, etc.). This is an opportunity to try something unique for very little money, and people around here used to jump on stuff like this. Did I offend, is it because I used entry level capacitors, or something else. It would great hearing the reasons, even if they involve a butt chewing.

During my research I did not see your stuff, or I indeed may have tried it. what is your facebook addy?

I still need to 'Refresh" my wifes Courus 2s crossovers.

Okay everyone, level with me. Why isn't anyone interested in trying this? Where is the curiosity that really is the thing that drives our hobby? The goal is seeing if I can increase your pleasure in listening. Sure, I might make a little bit of money, but is that idea really so offensive, I mean, people recommend other equipment to each other here (which drives up sales for companies like Oppo, Emotiva, etc.). This is an opportunity to try something unique for very little money, and people around here used to jump on stuff like this. Did I offend, is it because I used entry level capacitors, or something else. It would great hearing the reasons, even if they involve a butt chewing.

During my research I did not see your stuff, or I indeed may have tried it. what is your facebook addy?

There are links in his sig line.

Bruce

Chris (I think), I "removed data" because a certain individual(s) has determined that it is okay to take designs done by other people, change a value or two, claim spending "...hundreds of hours on development", and then sell without permission or giving credit. So, from this point forward, designs, and information used to develop designs, will not be freely available as they were in times past -- at least not from myself or Al. The math for frequency scaling using autotransformers is certainly not proprietary, and it's out there for anyone willing to do the required "hundreds of hours of development". Man, you just touched a raw nerve, sorry.

Edited by DeanG

Hi Dean

I think the offer is outstanding...but I also think the forum structure is very complex and as a result..a lot of folks are not aware of it....gone are the days that you knew whats was happening by just monitoring threads that have been answered vs threads that have not. So this is in the two channel section..might also need to be in the updates and modifications section.

That post of mine was from the beginning of the thread, it started slow for sure but eventually took off. The same is happening on this second round, especially with the Cornwall version, which is really odd -- I thought Cornwall users would be all over this one.

I think most surf this place the way I do, at least I think they do. This place isn't as active as it used to be, so I normally hit just about every section.

The 2-channel section is where I call home, so it just seemed like the best place to do it.

The budget Super AA is back. It's being built real close to the way the roadshow version is. We're calling it the Super AA/e.

The charge coupled capacitor experiment is about to launch. That consisted of DJK forcing me to write all of the requirements of the design out on a napkin. I can't decide who is worse, Dennis or Al -- just give me the damn answer!

All of the battery biased filters will carry Dennis' initials, I just haven't decided how to differentiate the various models yet. I've also been really tempted to offer them in kit form -- I'm still on the fence with that one.

Edited by DeanG

Are we lighting up the house or kicking back in quasi-nearfield with a handful of juicy watts? I think the Universal does better with a little power underneath it, where I'm personally inclined to use less power and sit closer - I'd be using a low order type with the Jupiter caps and a nice coil in series with the K-55, similar to what I just did for Schu. This doesn't mean it won't sound good loud, it just won't do as well as a Universal type.

There are links in his sig line.

Bruce

And just where is that?

Right below everyone of my posts - unless you have disabled the feature, in which case you wouldn't see anyone's signature section (where everyone else normally lists their gear).

www.aletheiaaudio.com

I also just bought:

www.klipschcrossovers.com

• Like 1

I'm using my phone, and it's toggled to the "mobile version" - I don't see any sigs unless I'm in "full version".

BTW, Michael, nice job on the write up. It doesn't surprise me that your Tripath based amp likes the ALK. I always feel like I'm trying to topple "The King" when I'm building these other networks. The Universal and Super AA have such solid reputations, and it's hard to convince some people that a Paul Klipsch based design can hang with them. The ability to attenuate is very popular too -- I was going over my mail and PMs with Schu as we were working through his choices. He really wanted the ability to attenuate, and it came up in almost every exchange. But based on everything he was telling me about his setup and how he liked to listen, I convinced him to go with the Jupiter loaded B2s, and he second guessed that decision to the very end. So, it's going to be really interesting to see what you think about these networks - and I of course am really interested in seeing whether or not they toast your voice coils. Please be sure to contact Dennis if everything starts smoking.

Edited by DeanG

Are we lighting up the house or kicking back in quasi-nearfield with a handful of juicy watts? I think the Universal does better with a little power underneath it, where I'm personally inclined to use less power and sit closer - I'd be using a low order type with the Jupiter caps and a nice coil in series with the K-55, similar to what I just did for Schu. This doesn't mean it won't sound good loud, it just won't do as well as a Universal type.

Food for thought, thanks.

Dennis is "DJK", and I really don't want you contacting him if your loudspeakers catch on fire. :)

I'll know before I go to sleep tonight if we have to worry about anything like that, which is highly doubtful - unless it's a bad recipe, which is also highly doubtful.

Thaddeus, what condition were your previous crossover networks. As in were they upgraded with new caps or original. Thanks for the write up, I am looking forward to trying these out.

Dean I think you posted a link on your facebook page about the battery bias concept, am I right. If so I still need to go and read about it, but I do have one quick question what is the expected life of the battery in these networks, or is that something time will tell.