Crossover Roadshow

Deang

I paid for mine. If I didn't like them I'd have no issues saying so.

I think it is misconception that because one has financial commitment, it taints the bias in favor of the reviewed when there is probably more empirical data that there would bias in a subjective review away from perfectionism.

If you are to give a review of a product, or service, complete ideal satisfaction the value of 100... you will inevitably end up with final gradings somewhere bellow, or well bellow, that 100% value.

We're not talking about financial "backing" of said product or service, but purchasing.

I think this is especially true with critical analysis as opposed to generalized opinion.

Edited by Schu

"Its awesome that 5 people like this network, but its far from unbiased."

8 now. No, it's biased, it's that other version that isn't. : )

"Just having Dean build it, and no financial incentive is bias enough."

In other words, they might feel obligated to say good things. Might they feel obligated to hear something that isn't there, or maybe even lie? I actually told everyone not to feel compelled to share thoughts publicly. As for the money, the way that normally works is that if you pay for something, you feel the need to defend the purchase. Carl doesn't count because he's from Texas.

"Just knowing what the objective is and theory can tilt the scales."

I agree with you on this, but it was unavoidable. Part of this experiment involved investigation and education.

"Fortunately the battery bias should have no ill effects, and is relatively cheap to build."

The capacitors are certainly less than what I normally spend, but the build takes longer, unless I'm retrofitting. I think this is a great solution for those with old crossovers, or for those who already have something that's been rebuilt, but would like to take the sound up a level without having to invest in another, entirely new set of crossovers.

The application of DC biasing capacitors in crossovers has been accepted and utilized in both professional and DIY circles since 1993 with great success. With over 20 years in the field, a ridiculous amount of positive press, while reserved for, and implemented in some of the best products available. I agree, no one needs to be concerned about "ill effects".

PIO builds produce a very distinctive and unique sonic signature that cannot be replicated with metallized or film and foil polypropylenes. DC biasing provides enhanced imaging and the removal of low level hash. I've heard the former referred to as "...retrieval of spacial cues..." - I just thought it sounded more open, which always makes a loudspeaker sound bigger than it is.

Edited by DeanG

I am happy to have waited 3 hours for this response, while not even understanding (entirely) what is being discussed...

Unfortunately (?) all my Klipsch speakers currently utilize their original crossovers, and still receive compliments from everyone that hears them.

1959 Shorthorn speakers, 1967 Cornwall II (Vertical) speakers, and 1973 La Scala speakers. The '80's "K-horns" are Speakerlab bass bins with AA (unknown vintage) crossovers, Altec B-511 lenses with University SA-HF drivers, and University Super (206?) Tweeters.

Don't know what I'm missing...

It's not likely that someone is going to come into your home and insult you by telling you that your 50 year old loudspeakers sound dull and lifeless. Even your 30 year old Klipschorns have reached the point of needing some service.

There are many things in life that we use that are complicated and difficult to understand, but our lack of understanding doesn't prevent our use and enjoyment of them.

• 1 month later...

Update: I moved my Cornwalls over to the HT this weekend and have decided that's where they'll stay. I don't know if it's just inherent speaker improvement or a benefit of the clarity and crispness I already observed after installing the charge coupled crossovers, but movie dialogue is top notch. I'm running these as a phantom center and can't notice any detrimental effects vs. having my RC-7 in place. I'm watching Last of the Mohicans - a movie where I was always having to crank it up for dialogue and crank it down for action scenes. I started the movie at a moderate volume and haven't had to adjust since.

As an aside: My wife started to gripe about the size, so I redirected her vision over to our fridge sized subwoofer and said "we've already got that in here, they're not nearly as big, and we hardly even notice it now." And so they stay...