Does anyone take vitamins and other supplements?

tube fanatic

As a continuation of topics which concern everyone and our families, I'll throw this one out there:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/06/19/durbin-supplement-bill.aspx?e_cid=20130619_DNL_art_1&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20130619

I cite Mercola so frequently because his presentations are quite cogent. The supplement industry has been under attack for many years, ostensibly due to the influence of the pharmaceutical industry which wants all life on the planet to need as many of their products as possible from birth until death. If one is healthy, obviously their drugs and other products aren't needed. Comments and discussion are welcome!

Maynard

One of my favourite subjects I like to share so others can share the long term benefits.

I take one of each as pictured before my lunchtime yoga or Pilates class. What's missing from this pic is the Musashi Nourish. The pic was for one of the girls in my yoga class and she also wanted to see the experimental LFE I was building at the time for my friendly Klipsch Cinema Dealers home system "music content covered to amuse previous poster :)". I have a target of 17 classes per week and every now and then I get all 17, last week I got 6 classes in.

My sups provide omega 3 6 9, "branched chain amino acid" and Magnesium phosphate.

I endeavour to eat mostly John West Tuna, Salmon, Lamb leg steaks and Kangaroo iron pan fried in olive oil plus rice cooked in the rice cooker with steamed vegetables.

I have a Kuvings cold press juicer which is remarkable.

I have a special diet concept; eat a lot of really good food so you are not hungry then you eat less of the food that's not healthy because you are already full.

For meats, I believe that if you eat animals that move very quickly most of the time then the meat is better for you leaner and more easily digested fats. My omega supplements help to remove the unhealthy fats.

When I eat kangaroo or lamb 2 hours before my Pilates class I am invincible. The energy is without limit, bring it on.

I also have a giant trance x2 (2011) dual suspension mountain bike which I ride up stairs as well as down stairs.

The food in the total diet is important and supplements are only supplements.

Regards Rod.

post-45280-13819855808464_thumb.jpg

The only two I consume religiously are B-12 and chewable vitamin C.

I've also been eye balling Glucosamine-Chondroitin for a good long while now.

Every now and then one of my elbows, shoulders, or knees will speak up, only to fade back to normal in a couple months. Usually about the time I remember to visit the supplement isle, they're good to go again.

I take a vitamin D3, a fish oil and a multivitamin specific to old geezers. Be wary about unsubstantiated claims. Take Glucosamine products for example. Lots of promise, no FDA evaluations and no massive populations of people showing serious gains from using the product. If half of these dietary supplements worked half as good as claimed they be 1000% better. Most just get flushed away in your urine. Lots of charlatans in this industry. Any claim can be tested and scientifically proven or debunked. Most of these companies choose not to test at all. The result: "Users results may vary and clinical statements not evaluated by the FDA." Those are the red flags. Ask before you buy.

I take a vitamin D3, a fish oil and a multivitamin specific to old geezers. Be wary about unsubstantiated claims. Take Glucosamine products for example. Lots of promise, no FDA evaluations and no massive populations of people showing serious gains from using the product. If half of these dietary supplements worked half as good as claimed they be 1000% better. Most just get flushed away in your urine. Lots of charlatans in this industry. Any claim can be tested and scientifically proven or debunked. Most of these companies choose not to test at all. The result: "Users results may vary and clinical statements not evaluated by the FDA." Those are the red flags. Ask before you buy.

No question that both sides are guilty of deception. But, contrary to what the FDA and politicians would have folks believe, there's really little risk in trying supplements and drawing one's own conclusion. Regarding glucosamine, my wife's arthritis was awful before she started taking it a few years ago. It has made a huge difference for her. Of course, when it comes to vitamins and minerals, it's hard to judge as serious deficiency states are not typical in spite of the rotten, processed food diet which so many live on. For example scurvy, from lack of vitamin C, is rare. But, that's the crux of the issue- with so many foods having very low levels of nutrients, it can't hurt to supplement; and I don't want some jerk, who is having his bank account filled with payoff money, telling me that I can't have that option. Vitamin D is a good example as testing the level is now included in routine blood work. Most people have low levels which put them at risk of bone issues; and it's easy to assess improvement once supplements are introduced. Regarding the label saying "..... not evaluated by the FDA," that's a requirement of federal law as the FDA doesn't evaluate supplements. It is not in any way indicative that false claims are being made. As far as the "results may vary" statement goes, that can be said of anything from over the counter laxatives to prescription drugs and is also not indicative of anything other than the truth. Many factors affect results including the person's weight (someone weighing 100# is likely to have a different response than someone weighing 300#), and how much of the stuff is absorbed from the digestive system (different from one person to the next.)

In my experience if a product with any healthcare claim honestly performs consistently, then it is no mystery. Not to discount anyone personal experience, but, there are a host of measurable indices which can be applied to these various remedies. Those objective measures can be statistically reviewed for efficacy. Do the agents really work? Do they work as well and as consistently as purported? Are they cost effective?

Here's a bit of an example. There is now a CAT scan study which has been proven successful for early screening of lung cancers. It works. It has been studied 6 ways to midnight in huge populations. And, if you can afford to get the study done and fall into a high risk category you'd do it in a heartbeat. But it is not an approved screening tool because too many people need it. It has been deemed cost ineffective.

Now supplement and health device firms make a host of claims. They offer drugs, magnets, bracelets, leeching pads, there's an enormous variety of mixtures, devices and diets. Bottom line is that as long as the supplement or tool is harmless they can make pretty hefty inferences and present any number of glowing user testimonials in hawking the product. And if they honestly worked as claimed - it would be no mystery, especially in this day of electronic media.

I take multi vitamins and drink whey protein shakes daily. Not real happy with the shakes , but it's the only way I can make sure I get 50-60 grams of protein daily( being a vegetarian ). The shakes are the same type that thin people , who want to gain weight , drink to bulk up. I am over 50 and bulk is not something I need or desire. It works well besides the unwanted side effects. I install floor coverings and have worked by myself the last 20+ years, averaging around 90 yards installed daily, so I get my fair share of exercise.

I have been blessed with being very healthy, I've probably been to a doctor 3times in the last 10 years , and am on no prescription meds. If I feel the onset of a cold or think I have an infection I swallow garlic cloves, seems to do the trick ,,for me anyway. I haven't been bit by a vampire either. I try other herbs for other maladys

I don't mean to sound like an over inflated donkey,but I truly believe if you take care with what you ingest ,there are some rewards

• Like 1

My dad, who's a retired chemist and physician-wanna-be, hates the pharmaceutical companies and claims the key to life is good nutritiion. He can spout-off the names of hoards of supplements and what they supposedly do. He even takes a good number of them and drinks whey.

The sad part about the whole thing is that he doesn't eat food anymore. He really went off the deep-end, thinking magic potions are the key to health. I try to remind him that the key to a healthy diet is to eat food - not pills and whey.

Frankly, I'd try to find a useful diet that doesn't require supplements. Supplements, by definition, mean your diet is not right. Food is a highly complex form of nutrient that cannot be mimmicked in the form of pills.

Frankly, I'd try to find a useful diet that doesn't require supplements. Supplements, by definition, mean your diet is not right. Food is a highly complex form of nutrient that cannot be mimmicked in the form of pills.

Definitely! If I could afford to buy everything I eat from a 100% organic farm I'd do it instantly and reduce, or even eliminate, most supplements. But, paying $1.25 for one apple just isn't possible on my budget! I've often wondered what it would be like to go back 150 years and experience breathing non-poisoned air, and eating foods grown in nutrient rich and pesticide free soil. Maybe in the next life........

Not much needed if you have a well balanced diet and eat/drink in moderation.

However, there are some "proven" vitamins/supplements that are very helpful for certain conditions.

When I was a kid, spinach was all I thought a guy needed to be healthy.

popeye-5343.jpg

I agree.

My only concerns are Vitamin D, (unless I can get into the sun every day, but it is getting really hot here right now), B12 (because our soils do not have this anymore and 4 lb chicken brests, animal steroids and Bovine growth hormone freak me out so I stopped eating meats), and omega 3s. I was eating flaxseed on my oats in the morning for the omega 3s, but when I went to buy B12, it had like 16,667% of the DV, so I just bought a multivitamin that has much less. I will revisit the issue when we run out.

Not much needed if you have a well balanced diet and eat/drink in moderation.

However, there are some "proven" vitamins/supplements that are very helpful for certain conditions.

When I was a kid, spinach was all I thought a guy needed to be healthy.

popeye-5343.jpg

Perhaps Popeye had the right idea???

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=106380.0;attach=117819;image

Seriously though, spinach does contain some wonderful nutrients for keeping the retina healthy---- Maynard

My doctor prescribed vitamin D because it helps the spell checker correct cell mistakes after duplicating. (or cancer starts) The Vitamin D test is now included in

the standard Cleveland Clinic $1100.00 blood test.

JJK

I have a suggestion. Approach the claims of salesmen and marketers of supplements with the same degree of skepticism you direct to magic wire merchants. If you find the pitches of the Mercolas and Gary Nulls of the world compelling, you may be a candidate for Coconut-Audio cables.

For those who are alarmed at Monsanto's business practices and influence over our gov't/economy/lives, read up on the DSHEA (Dietary Supplement Health and Education act of 1994) and how it was passed. Scary stuff. The $34B supplement industry cares about your health about as much as Monsanto does about feeding the hungry.

I have a suggestion. Approach the claims of salesmen and marketers of supplements with the same degree of skepticism you direct to magic wire merchants. If you find the pitches of the Mercolas and Gary Nulls of the world compelling, you may be a candidate for Coconut-Audio cables.

For those who are alarmed at Monsanto's business practices and influence over our gov't/economy/lives, read up on the DSHEA (Dietary Supplement Health and Education act of 1994) and how it was passed. Scary stuff. The $34B supplement industry cares about your health about as much as Monsanto does about feeding the hungry.

You hit the nail on the head.

Some of the supplements work in ways that aren't always measurable. I'll use glucosimine as an expample. Persons I know take this supplement every day. Those folks vary in age from 30 to 85. Except for the oldest, most can't even tell they are taking it... until they stop. It made a huge difference in my mother-in-law. Made a difference for me as well.

An acquaintance of mine changed his diet and lifestyle. He was taking insulin every day, knees in bad shape and overweight. Now he is totally transformed and off his insulin.

Yes, eating a well balanced diet of the correct foods it always the best way, but too many of our foods aren't really good for us anymore.

Bruce

Some of the supplements work in ways that aren't always measurable. I'll use glucosimine as an expample. Persons I know take this supplement every day. Those folks vary in age from 30 to 85. Except for the oldest, most can't even tell they are taking it... until they stop. It made a huge difference in my mother-in-law. Made a difference for me as well.

An acquaintance of mine changed his diet and lifestyle. He was taking insulin every day, knees in bad shape and overweight. Now he is totally transformed and off his insulin.

Yes, eating a well balanced diet of the correct foods it always the best way, but too many of our foods aren't really good for us anymore.

Bruce

Good point. I hate taking any kind of pill, but I do take B12, Vitamin D (if not in the sun every day) and omega 3s. Right now it is a multivatamin, but I got frustrated reading about all of the various vitamins and just ordered a multi. I will revisit later. My diet is more similar to most of the world and advocated in "The China Study" as well as by others (I learned about it thanks to this forum). I feel great, and chronic fatigue has went away (I was always told it was allergies).

But I need these vitamins. Well, why do I need these vitamins if my diet is so great? Good question. People used to be in the sun every day so they got Vitamin D, and bacteria in native soil produces B12. We do not eat plants grown in such soil, but animals do, so they get B12. If you don't eat meat, or plants grown in soil with the bacteria, you will not get B12. Omega 3 is available in Flaxseed and other plant sources, but it is just easier to take a flaxseed oil pill every day and a multi-vitamin.

Diet can do wonders. We just watched "Supersize Me" again the other evening. My mother had high cholesterol, circulation problems and was told that she needd a stent. She is in her late 60s and has taken pretty good care of herself. I got her on the diet and her blood pressure dropped by 10/10 and her heart rate by 10 in just two weeks. Her circulation problems are also going away (numbness is gone) and her cholesterol should have dropped by 100 points by now. My brother in law is in good shape and was having heart problems. Same result just by changing his diet. He also lost 10 lbs in two weeks without even trying. I am not advocating any political figure, but Bill Clinton, who has access to the very best doctors in the world, has adopted this diet to reverse his heart disease. It does work.