Klipsch KG 5.5 Date Of Birth

J.L.

Hello everyone!!!!.... This is my first post on here and I hope I don't get into too much trouble..... lol....

I looked around and found some info on this forum about other model Klipsch speakers and when they were made and how to tell when they were made, but I didn't see any post's about the KG 5.5's?? Is there a way I can tell when mine were made by the serial number??.....

Thanks for any help!!!!.... I just picked up a pair of used ones last week and they are in great shape cosmetically, and they sound great as far as I can tell. The only other Klipsch speakers I own are the Pro-Media computer speakers.... which rock!!!!!.... I really don't know, other than the computer speakers that I have, and maybe listening to some Klipsch speakers in Best Buy, why I am so entranced by this brand!!!! But I hooked them up to my Onkyo 70 watter stereo receiver and wow oh wow do these gigantic speakers do a job!!!!!!!!.... Ok, I'm rambling.... once again thanks for the forum and any help with my question....

----John

Sure hope they do..... any idea of the average lifespan of a set of Klipsch speakers?? I really baby all my stuff so hope that would add to their lifespan....

I don't really know if I would be considered an audiophile, but I am more than just a casual listener, I wonder if even I would notice the improvement that people on this forum and other places have said that the Bob Crites titanium diaphragm would do to improve the sound of the KG 5.5's?? I mean after all, I'm using an Onkyo stereo receiver at about 70 watts per channel..... which I'm sure doesn't qualify me as a "high-end" equipment owner.....

Lifespan? I know there's a guy on here with Klipschorns from the 1950's. That should give you an idea of lifespan, so far.

Crites is the place to go for TI diaphragms. HUGE difference.

High end, schmi end. I stated with a Pioneer receiver and Jensen speakers in high school. It can only go up from here. You will be caught up in the upgrades sooner rather than later.

Ive had my KG5.5s for sixteen years, bought them brand new. I was around 24 when I bought them and put them through a fair bit and I reckon they still sound as good today as the day I bought them without once having to get anything repaired. In fact as of last week they sound even better as I put in the Crites titanium tweeters. Very easy to do and stunning results for not much $$$. Highly recommend. I have upgraded a few things around the KG5.5s but theres no way Im ever changing them out! Only thing I might still have to do is get another pair for the rears! I run subs to cover the below 80hz material for movies and music but the KG5.5s are no slouch in that departmemt either.

Ok... thanks again Mongo171.... hope to keep my KG 5.5's for a long time!!!!... and maybe will ask for the Crites titanium diaphragm's for my birthday... hehehe....
I've also been tempted by all that I've heard on the pre-amp/amp set up.... I've known about this type set up for a long time, but I've always been a "stereo receiver" type of person and never got into it...... once again wondering if I would hear the difference and be able to justify the cost.....

I did notice on the 5.5's that the plastic "cover" that goes around the one ten inch speaker was pulling away a little bit. So I removed the speaker and lightly clamped the speaker facing down and putting the plastic ring back into a position where it should be, then using a hot glue gun, put some glue in the space between the outer edge of the speaker basket and the inside edge of the plastic ring. Worked beautifully.....
can't see the glue at all after putting speaker back in place.... so no chance of that ever rattling, I hope.....

Thanks Aj72..... must be our KG 5.5's are the same age!!!!... hehehe.... the guy I bought these from said he took very good care of them and had been using them up until about three years ago when he had gotten married.... and had a kid.... hehehe... I think he mentioned something about the wife thought they were a little too big and should get rid of them..... Said they were in storage, but in a temperature controlled room.

I've looked them over very carefully and they are in great shape!!! We had them cranking at his house for a demo before I bought them.... I was impressed, needless to say.....

Sounds like the Crites thing is gonna be a "must have".....

J.L.

I was also a receiver guy for fifteen years (got the best out of my old Yamaha rxv 992.....) and had read a lot about the Klipsch speakers being so efficient that a power amp was wasted on them. I saw many people remarking about solid state amps not being any good with Klipsch. Couldn't be further from the truth I reckon! Sure a tube amp may be even better (I've never tried this) but I went with a pre amp and power amp combo recently and it was like I had different speakers all over again. I didnt know what I was missing out on until I made the change. I would say that of the overall improvement 30-40% was due to the power amp (Elektra 185w/channel,7 channels) and probably 60-70% due to the preamp (Rotel RSP 1570). Before I made the changes I thought it would be the other way around but I now realise how important the preamp/processor is in the signal chain. Listening to music is now incredible but before I didn't listen to as much as it wasn't as exciting. Movies are also a lot better too but Ive noticed more of a difference with music. If you've got the funds to do it I would highly recommend in my experience. If you dont mind buying second hand you can set yourself up quite nicely but buying new in pre/pro/power world can get expensive. If like me you plan on making one significant spend in the decade its well worth it.

That's what I figured it would be Aj72.... a lot better sound..... I'm happy with what I've got now, but I'm also a pefectionist kinda.... so that would be very interesting to do with the pre-amp/processor and the power amp.... especially with what you say on the sound improvement.....

Any idea of what something like this would cost??.... for new equipment that is.....

It could cost less than a few grand if you were buy something like Emotiva but I havent heard any of their products myself. Best ask someone who has and read on forums like AVS for feedback or try to get an audition somewhere yourself. Im not overly experienced with other than what Ive got so somebody else may be better to give you advice. An entry level five channel amplifier from a reputable brand would set you back between $1000-$2000. Skys the limit after that e.g Krell, Levinson. Processors are about the same cost for entry level maybe slightly more expensive. Expect to start at around $1500 for a superseded or demo model from a good brand and can get very expensive (Classe ssp-800= $10000). Bare in mind these prices are based on Australian market where I live. Anyway in my case I bought a demo Rotel for $1200 (was $2300 new) and an Elektra power amp for $1500 (was $3500 new) second hand. Both these items were less than four years old. Have a look around and listen too is probably the best advice to give.

If looking for used amps Adcom gfa fff at 200 wpc. Clean clear I would say neutral sound and found all over the place. I did not haggle w/ an auction site.I bought mine sight and sound unseen/heard from Audio Classics @ $300 about 4 years ago.It came so clean it almost slipped out of my hands. I also bough into the end al avr h/t thing a Yamaha RX-V665 w/ 90 wpc and was dissapointed clipped at high levels and I added the amp before going all seperates.Point is used quality brands of amps are all over Adcom,Bryston,B&K, Carver it's just how much power and what your bugdet is . I do happen to like the look and price and warranty of the new Emotiva stuff.I would love a pair of 5.5s they would fit perfectly.

Ok Aj72..... I'm in USA and these prices would definitely be out of my price range.... Would love to be in a position to buy, but just can't.....

Thanks for the info tho.......

I wonder what the results would be if I were to hook up a PA amplifier?? I also have a small PA system that I play my guitar and sing thru once in a while, and it would be great to use a "stand alone" amp for the PA system AND for powering my KG 5.5's when I'm not using on the PA system (which I hardly ever use). The PA system at the current time is a simple Yamaha portable mixer/power amp combo with (I think) the ability to add a separate power amp. My receiver that I'm using with the KG 5.5's is an Onkyo unit that has an in/out for the mains that have the little "U" shaped connectors that hook it to the amp section of the receiver. Was thinking I could disconnect these "U" shaped connectors and hook the "out" RCA type connection to a separate power amp that could do double duty as my KG 5.5 amp and when needed, for the PA separate amp. (Hope that makes sense.....)

Hello Mongo171..... that would be more in line with a price I could afford, but I'm really only interested in two channel stuff, if it's still available...

I also was saying to Aj72 about an idea I had, but I don't know where the post went!!!!!..... sheesh.... but what I said to Aj72 was what would you think of using a separate power amp that was for a PA system?? I have a little Yamaha portable PA that has a built in amp, but would like to get a separate amp with mayby 300 watts per side (2 channel). And I thought I could hook this to my Onkyo receiver via the main out's on the back of unit to a PA amp. Do you think this would work?? I know I've seen them for sale in Musician Friend website for $400 to $500, but I don't know if this would work with a stereo receiver??......

Thank you leftwinger57..... i will keep Audio Classics in mind.... have another question I posted to before this one.... if you get a chance to read, let me know what you think of it.......

I am getting kinda confused on how to do the forum posting thing.... hehehe.....

Just to let you know what receiver I have.... it's a Onkyo TX 866 stereo receiver.... 80 watts per side.... I know it's old, but it works fine as far as I can tell and this is the unit I am thinking of hooking in a separate amp to (if possible), as I've mention in the last few previous posts.....