Looking for a used/budget projector

Brac

I don't post here as much as I used to, but I keep the rss feed active and try to help out where I can. Long story short I had an infocus LCD projector, that lost the power supply. I thought how hard could that be to change, I do all sorts of repairs......... Okay, it could be that hard by the time I was done I had a large pile of parts that would never again be a projector. I didn't think too much of it as I had owned it for a good while and I though Craigslist would provide me with a replacement.

So craigslist has had nothing worth even looking at. Thought maybe I would ask here see if anybody has anything kicking around.

My projector mount is currently 15' back from a 117" diagonal 16:9 HT is in basement and is plenty dark.

Thanks

Cant go wrong with any of the Epson UB series projectors Brac.

My 8700UB has got to be about 3 years old now (or longer) and I am still on my first bulb. Dark basement will make the bulb last even longer. It has been a plug and play unit since I got it, not a single issue.

Good luck with the search.

The Epsons are good but depending on what you consider "budget" they may be out of your price range. Optoma makes some good budget projectors that you can find on ebay pretty cheap used. HD65, HD20, HD66 just to name a few. I think for the distance and screen size those should work but check out the distance calculator on www.projectioncentral.com to know for sure. Also sometimes you can get projectors with burned out bulbs for next to nothing and buy the bulb for less than $100 which is a heck of a deal for a projector. Browse ebay and amazon. Good luck with finding a replacement

Budget really wants to be around $400, which isn't enough but the wife just started her RN to BSN college program and boy doesn't that screw up my toy budget :)

Thanks for all the input.

Worst part of not having a PJ right now, is I have the living room torn apart to do the floors (local hardwood from trees) and for the first time in my life I'm using the sound from the television. How can people live like that??????????????

Budget really wants to be around $400, which isn't enough but the wife just started her RN to BSN college program and boy doesn't that screw up my toy budget :)

Thanks for all the input.

Worst part of not having a PJ right now, is I have the living room torn apart to do the floors (local hardwood from trees) and for the first time in my life I'm using the sound from the television. How can people live like that??????????????

I dont have any specific models but for 400 i think used you can get a good projector. Espon would be how i would start my search. I bet you could find an older 1080p projector with good light output for 4 or 500. I would start by posting on avs http://www.avsforum.com/f/68/digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp. Someone will be bound to have one sitting around they would sell.

• Moderators

Earlier today, I purchased this Refurbished Epson 3000 lumen projector for my student ministry. It's 4:3 but that's what we need to fill our 143" diagonal screen that is 9.5" wide x 7" tall. Refurb was $499 shipped. New on Best Buy is $792.00. $300 savings seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

Here are the Epson Refurbs

Ive been looking at projectors lately and well, wouldnt a 1080p projector be better idea since almost all content coming out is in 1080p? Sorry to hijack!

Yes it would, but it costs more than a 720p projector. For me i would want at min 1080p but if someone isn't watching blu rays and only watches movies on dvd and hd cable/sat tv then 720p would be fine.

My current projector is the Epson 7500 UB, but I used to have a Sony VPL-AW15, which was a 720p projector. That was a fantastic projector, and I would absolutely recommend it to you as a stop-gap projector until you're able to get something newer.

My parents have the Panasonic PT-AX200U which was one of the more popular 720p projectors, but I much preferred my Sony. The Panasonic could go brighter, but to my eyes the Sony put out a crisper picture with more "sparkle", which I suppose probably meant it had more contrast. As I mentioned, the Sony is not a terribly bright projector, but if you have a light-controlled space then you're rewarded with a very nice picture.

I eventually bought an Epson 8100 to replace my Sony, and while it had more resolution as a 1080p unit and it could go brighter, I didn't feel like it was a meaningful upgrade from my Sony when it came to watching movies. It wasn't until I got my Epson 7500UB that I felt like I had a significant upgrade from my old 720p Sony.

In addition to the great picture quality, the VPL-AW15, like a lot of LCD projectors, provides a generous amount of lens shift and lens zoom, making it very flexible in placement.

The VPL-AW15 frequently sells on eBay for around $400, but right now there's not one listed at a good price. According to your profile, you're in Dexter, Maine. I did a search on Craigslist, and found the following VPL-AW15 listed in Gardner, Massachusetts for $325, complete with a new spare bulb:

http://worcester.craigslist.org/ele/3874288268.html

It's a bit far if you're not already heading that way for some reason, but you might contact him and see if he is willing to ship if you pay with PayPal. I've had pretty good luck doing that on Craigslist, but some people don't want to ship. Worth a shot though. Otherwise, you might setup an automatic search on eBay to alert you whenever an AW15 is listed.

Here's a couple professional reviews of the AW15:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony/vpl-aw15/

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony_vpl-aw15.htm?page=Overview