Mounting Outdoor Speakers

vonbonds

Hello all,

I just purchased two pairs of KHO-7's for my backyard audio to compliment our new pool oasis :). I have a stucco house that I won't be mounting the speakers too. What is the best free standing post/pole/whatever I can mount them too. I am surprised the lack of information on the web concerning outdoor speaker placement and mounting options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

I think you have to make something yourself out of available material. Might I suggest something which can be moved about.

My thought is a base made out of a concrete umbrella stand base, if they still make them. Then add a pole to support the speakers.

You'll have to run speaker feed wire over. While you're at it you could add 12 volts for some lights. An alternative to putting Titi torches or the big wax candles on the pole -- though these can be charming.

Also add some humorous "pool-type" signs to the pole. Even a life preserver.

The major idea is make it look and function as more than just a place for speakers and give it some esthetics.

WMcD

See if you can find some old lantern style street lights.( Gas light style)Or even just some large lanterns from home goods, marshall's or even antique stores. The trick is to find 4 matching or similar ones that the speakers will fit in. They exist I've seen them. And if you find the old cast lamp posts even better. Remove the glass and replace it with fine metal mesh. If you want them as functional lights, Install some low Voltage puck lights or even solar ones on the underside and hang them off the poles. And if your worried aout security you can use some weather proof plugs and take them in when out of town. We are currently looking for some to fit the quintets in for our master bedroom.

The only idea that I can come up w/ has already been suggested. If you do have a soffit under the roof line and is not way to high have installed them there.Having been a former alarm installer and w/ people insisting that they wanted nothing on their stucco finish we hid sirens and did pre-wire and then eventually hung speakers that way .At the time we were a Bose distributor and used a set of Bose outside speakers and found a header and screwed the bracket to that .For the siren we cut a form fitting hole and flush mounted it.