chip amps: Almost everything you ever wanted to know

DizRotus

Probably the most significant modification is increasing the input capacitance from .22uF to 1.0uF per each channel. This lowers the high pass input filter corner frequency to below 20Hz, so that the bass response and definition are significantly improved. The Radio Shack film caps are some of the best kept secrets in DIY audio. Unfortunately, these caps are only available in 1.0uF/250V.

Can this be done independent of the other mods? What are the labels on the board? C1 and c3?

• 4 months later...

I have been following this thread on and off and finally ordered a Lepai LP-2020A+ for my KG 5.5's in my office and am blown away by the sound. Parts Express sent it with a 12V 3amp power supply and I can turn it to 25% max before my ears start to hurt and the room starts to shake. Its crazy to think this thing is $28 and the size of my DAC and puts out such good sound, I can only describe it as liquid and pure compared to the old AB receiver. Even my wife came into the room and said, "Wow is that the new amp you got, it sounds much better!" I think I am going to order another one for my LaScalas now. :D

I have been following this thread on and off and finally ordered a Lepai LP-2020A+ for my KG 5.5's in my office and am blown away by the sound. Parts Express sent it with a 12V 3amp power supply and I can turn it to 25% max before my ears start to hurt and the room starts to shake. Its crazy to think this thing is $28 and the size of my DAC and puts out such good sound, I can only describe it as liquid and pure compared to the old AB receiver. Even my wife came into the room and said, "Wow is that the new amp you got, it sounds much better!" I think I am going to order another one for my LaScalas now. :D

Now you've started down a slippery slope. Enjoy it, but don't miss the meetings or the addiction can get out of control.

I too started with a Lepai 2020 and was most impressed with the performance to price ratio of that gateway drug amp. Next, under the bad influence of this forum's "rhing," I got a TDA7297 from eBay for less than $5. After several of those addictive little amps and their cousins, I graduated to the hard stuff, a TDA3118 Wiener from "gmarsh" at the diy audio forum. I'd link to some diyAudio forum threads if I were in front of a proper computer, rather than an iPad.

Now if my sponsor could just stop me from clicking "buy" again, I wouldn't need to explain to my wife why I keep receiving small packages from China.

• Like 1

Now you've started down a slippery slope. Enjoy it, but don't miss the meetings or the addiction can get out of control.

I too started with a Lepai 2020 and was most impressed with the performance to price ratio of that gateway drug amp. Next, under the bad influence of this forum's "rhing," I got a TDA7297 from eBay for less than $5. After several of those addictive little amps and their cousins, I graduated to the hard stuff, a TDA3118 Wiener from "gmarsh" at the diy audio forum. I'd link to some diyAudio forum threads if I were in front of a proper computer, rather than an iPad.

Now if my sponsor could just stop me from clicking "buy" again, I wouldn't need to explain to my wife why I keep receiving small packages from China.

Yeah no joke. :o  I went to listen to my LaScalas with my AB receiver and actually turned it off and went back to my office to listen to the Lapai amp then ordered another on Amazon for my listening room. Once you hear the clear and amazing sound class AB just sounds dead and lifeless. I looked at the TDA 7297 but want something a more plug and play for now. I really want to get into soldering so I think I will keep these for now before building a really nice one. Do you have more info you can send on the TDA 3118? Also, do you think I could plug the Lapai into the switched output on my receiver and use my receiver as a pre-amp?

The ICE Class D amps were big news a few years ago. Considered some of the best of the Class D amps but there may be others I have not heard about. I do not keep up with Class D improvements too much. The cheaper Class D amps are amazing for what they cost. They are the only ones I have heard but there are members that have the better Class D amplifiers and maybe they will comment on their system. 

Check this on youtube and there are other examples with Klipsch speakers.

Very interesting. I wonder with amps this cheap, especially the $6 ones you can get on ebay that DizRotus mentioned, if you could make an economical tri-amp setup for LaScalas with them and an active crossover?

I might as well throw in my own chip amp purchase. It is my 4th t-amp over the years. This has been a great little amp so far and fairly powerful for t-amp at 50 watts aside at 4ohms.  It is also a headphone amp, has 3 inputs- a usb connection, digital coax and left and right rca analogs.  Can handle hi-rez music, digital volume, with a remote control.

http://www.amazon.com/Signstek-TP-32EX-Upgrade-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00EO0SEPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447795514&sr=8-1&keywords=topping+tp-32ex

• 5 months later...

Here are the diyAudio  links referred to above.

Wiener TPA3118

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/276508-wiener-group-buy-2-stereo-pbtl-editions-available.html

TDA7297

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/231988-what-heck-its-less-than-lunch.html

I've auditioned the Wiener.   It sounds tube-like when powered by 12.5 volts of rechargable batteries that are trickle charged by a solar panel. When time permits, it will be put in a case and see regular use for 2 channel.

post-6832-0-18560000-1463102038_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-37240000-1463102048_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus

Here are the diyAudio  links referred to above.

Wiener TPA3118

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/276508-wiener-group-buy-2-stereo-pbtl-editions-available.html

This was an interesting thread on how the wiener amp developed.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/267039-proper-tda3116-pcb.html

Lots of great builds (a few that I really liked below)  over on the DIY Audio site buried in those threads and it looks like several favor the CineMag input transformers.  I've also seen the Jensen JT-11P-1 input transformer used in conjunction with various chip amps too.  There a several really interesting options for the power supply too and I've read the wiener amplifier card can be run easily on 24V too.

post-36163-0-17080000-1463106542_thumb.j

post-36163-0-74600000-1463106553_thumb.j

post-36163-0-07160000-1463106565_thumb.j

post-36163-0-56880000-1463106576_thumb.j

post-36163-0-18600000-1463106591_thumb.j

post-36163-0-98560000-1463106608_thumb.j

post-36163-0-19880000-1463106622_thumb.j

post-36163-0-94400000-1463106634_thumb.j

post-36163-0-81080000-1463106649_thumb.j

post-36163-0-71520000-1463106660_thumb.j

• Like 1

I don't recall the specifics regarding the CineMags, but my recollection is that they're unnecessary in my planned application using the balanced output of a Pono player to run the Wiener and the sub amp in balanced mode, which I've not yet had the time to try.  For now, I've used the Pono player headphone output directly into the Wiener,  The volume is controlled at the Pono.  I plan to add a pot to the Wiener, at least experimentally, to see if the SQ differs in balanced mode,

I believe rhing advocates CineMags.  I'll see if I can persuade him to chime in.

Edited by DizRotus

Here is rhing's post on diyAudio forum regarding his use of CineMags.  For once my memory is accurate, the CineMags appear to produce a "balanced" input for the Wiener.  I believe the balance output from my Pono player makes them unnecessary in my planned use.  He, rhing, certainly does tidy work.

rhing posted to diyAudio on 4th July 2015, 04:12 PM

The input transformers convert the single ended output from my tube line stage amp into differential inputs for The Wiener amp. It also reduces noise at the inputs. In my system, the benefits of the sound quality improvements (lower noise, larger and deeper soundstage, greater separation and detail) outweigh the additional cost.

post-6832-0-60400000-1463229248.jpg

Edited by DizRotus

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't chimed in here. I moved from the West Coast to the East Coast for a great career opportunity, and we finally moved into our new home last month. I now have my new listening room set up and I am still using my Weiner TPA3118 Class D stereo amp with the rest of my system. My latest toy is a mint condition stock McIntosh MC240 6L6 push-pull amp. This is an amp I've wanted for many years and I finally got one.

Anyway, I am still a proponent of using 1:1 input transformers for converting unbalanced, single-ended RCA inputs to the differential (i.e., balanced) inputs of the TPA3118 amp for the same benefits I mentioned before. With a larger listening room, I can really appreciate just how good this amp works with my Crites-upgraded Forte II's. With my ARC LS7 line stage, the sound is warm, rich and detailed. My preference, of course, is to use my McIntosh tube power amp, but every time I switch back to the Weiner TPA3118, I am really impressed how great it sounds. It doesn't sound like a typical Class D amp with a hyped up treble, but instead presents a very musical reproduction of my vinyl and CD collection.

In the last Weiner group buy on DIY audio, I picked up a pair of gmarsh's Weiner 2 PBTL amps. I still have to build them, but these boards can accommodate the rather largish CoilCraft output inductors. I plan to use input transformers with these amps and possibly some film and oil caps for a velvety-smooth sound. I'm sure someone reading this post might think I like a syrupy, lush tube sound. I just like music to sound real, and great sound is not dry, edgy, grainy or distorted, but very organic with presence. I was listening to King Crimson's "20th Century Schizoid Man" on vinyl earlier today, and the Weiner amp did such a great job reproducing Fripp's chords with the horns blasting.

I've said this before, and I will say this again. With these highly efficient Class D amps, the quality of the power supply is everything. I modified an Astron RS-12A regulated linear power supply I bought locally in California through Craigslist for $20. Using a cheap wall wart switching supply will only go so far, but for these TPA3116 or TPA3118 amps to really sing, get a nice high-current, regulated power supply with some adequate reserves for transient response. Additionally, use some good, efficient speakers like Klipsch Heritage series speakers or some classic Altec Lansing horns that have excellent midrange response.

post-38086-0-79720000-1463862499_thumb.j

Edited by rhing
  • Like 1

That is correct. You might need to adjust the impedance at the inputs depending on the output impedance of the Pono player. The TI data sheet for the TPA311x amp IC describes the relationship between the input capacitance, gain and input impedance of the amp. If the Pono player is your sole source, this should be an ideal connection for a balanced source with a balanced amp.

• 1 year later...

I ordered this SURE digital volume control years ago, but put it aside without doing anything with it.  I'll soon be putting the "Wiener"  TPA3118 Class D amp (2nd photo) into a case.  After experimenting with the SURE unit, I think I'll put it in the case  Perhaps I'll do so in a way to easily bypass it.

Without it, I the headphone output of my Pono player is connected to the TPA3118 "Wiener" so that volume can be controlled by the Pono.  With the SURE unit in the loop, the line-out from the Pono connects to the SURE which connects to the amp.  The ability to control the volume is greater using the SURE.

Now that I think about this, using the SURE will defeat the ability to connect balanced outputs from the Pono to balanced inputs of the amp.  I suppose I could get a second SURE unit to keep the two balanced outputs discrete, i.e., eliminating a common ground.

Has anyone used one of these SURE digital volume controls?  My experience with other SURE products has been excellent.

IMG_2087 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2088 (Medium).JPG