Another H2 to H3 Conversion question

Skelt

If the kit is OK for the Heresy's, it it suitable for the Tangent 400/500's?

I am the original owner of a pair of T-400's and even with all of the negative publicity, I have a desire to keep them going. My biggest question is that if I were to replace the K-24 woofer with a new K-28... would the ports still be the correct size? The ports are 2.75" Dia. X 5" overall length now. The specs sheet says the low end frequency response is 38 Hz. The Forte has a very similar size cabinet. It is also a bass reflex design, but via a passive radiator and it goes down to 32 Hz. The K- 28 woofer is a correct replacement for the Forte's K-23. So either of those woofers should work in either a ported or a sealed or ported cabinet, right? Can this T-400 cabinet be tuned down to 32 Hz or lower by changing the ports? I really don't know much about speaker building, so any help would be very appreciated.

the k28 is a definite improvement on the k24 since it is a 4Ohms woofer -[Y], I recently got a pair - so the testing is done -the bass is up - I dont know how to measure it - but you can feel it right away - strong and punchy -

-the Tangent T-400 is a stretched version of the heresy by almost one foot longer -so it will deliver even more bass than a H2 to H3 comparison -

-the k23 is also a 4ohms woofer but I have never seen or tested one-

-take care -

I would buy them separately if needed. I should have stated that I have put k-23's in place along with forte crossovers. I also changed the tweeter to a k75 and installed Crites diaphragms. so basically it is a T-400 cab with forte electrics. I believe the bass is stronger. perhaps some what deeper. These woofers seem at least to me to move a lot of air though the ports. Sometimes i can feel the air gush 4 or 5 feet away. I'm just not sure if the port size matches the cab/woofer combination any more or if it can be tuned lower. Maybe I need to go with k-28's, or the problem could be the room. I get reverberation at loud levels on some songs and it is not even around the room. I have experimented with various amounts of toe-in, long wall, short wall with only moderate success.

I get reverberation at loud levels on some songs and it is not even around the room. I have experimented with various amounts of toe-in, long wall, short wall with only moderate success.

That's a room problem, not a speaker problem. Moving the speakers around won't fix it. Look into getting bass traps for your corners.

• 2 weeks later...

I get reverberation at loud levels on some songs and it is not even around the room. I have experimented with various amounts of toe-in, long wall, short wall with only moderate success.

That's a room problem, not a speaker problem. Moving the speakers around won't fix it. Look into getting bass traps for your corners.

Ok made bass traps bought new drapes for the big window big help with the reverb, but the question still stands.

If a Heresey lll conversion kit was put in a Tangent 400 cabinet would the ports still be correct for this woofer/cab combination?

do you have access to some H3 conversion kits which include new K28 woofers? The new conversion kits as far as I know no longer include the K28 woofer with the kit. So lets say you have some K28 woofers and you drop them into your Tangent 400 cabinet you can directly compare with the stock woofer if you have them. If not and this is simply a drop in of a K28 into a Tangent 400 cabinet then you can decide if they work for ou or not. if there is too much vass you can shorten the existing vents and if there is not enough bass then you can lengthen the vents. Its is not a very difficult thing for you to do. Does this help? Best regards Moray James.

I would think the t/s parameters would be different on the different drivers which would make the cabinet/port requirements different also. How much different? Who knows, I don't think specs are published. You can however play with the port length as Moray described.

over the weekend I was looking at some flared ports but the sizes would require cabinet modification.

a car audio guy suggested that I could heat pvc tubing with a deep fryer and stretch it over a pattern to make a bell mouth. then machine it to refine the shape and meet needed dimentions.

having a small lathe I went to work right away. I used 3 in schedule 80 tubing because it has a .300 in wall thickness. Had to look in electrical dept. at the hardware store for this size is used for conduit.

wound up with 4-3/8 flange diameter and 10 over all length, flared flanges on both ends. made in 3 pcs so i can adjust lengths. this will take some back and forth to find the right length.

keep in mind that this t-400 cab is loaded with forte componets .

First impressions........ bass is deeper, stronger and clearer. comparing it to a forte with the same upgraded xo I would say the bass is tighter. my daughter says it is deeper than the forte. Everybody tells me the tangents sound better than the fortes even though they have the same drivers and xo's.

I'm sorry, I couldn't get these pictures to upload, so you can use these links to see them. For some reason, it will not work in Internet explorer, but if you have Google Chrome on your computer, it works. I don't know about Firefox or any other browsers, though.

file:///G:/DCIM/100DSCIM/PICT0016.JPG.......... file:///G:/DCIM/100DSCIM/PICT0017.JPG............file:///G:/DCIM/100DSCIM/PICT0019.JPG

post-59181-13819856861046_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

file:///G:/DCIM/100DSCIM/PICT0016.JPG..........
file:///G:/DCIM/100DSCIM/PICT0017.JPG............file:///G:/DCIM/100DSCIM/PICT0019.JPG

these are links to files on your physical hard drive or camera. One way or another you have to get them uploaded to the internet before you can link to them. Chrome is just displaying them locally to you.

Will do, or you can save me time, how much is the kit, each & what comes with it?

I got mine 2 years ago so I don't know if anything has changed. Steve Phillips has a handle on the Heritage stuff and was a great help... I hope he is still around.

I think they had a situation where some came with the mid horns and some came without. These kits aren't sitting around all put together waiting to ship. Someone has to put each individual part on the order and then someone else pulls each individual part to build the kit. Since I was fixing up boxes that somebody had emptied I ordered mid horns. When the upgrade hit came I wound up with extra horns which I later sent to a forum member in need.

just talked with klipsch today. the kit comes with woofers,mid range driver,tweeter and xo all for $290 ea + shipping. all you need is a cabinet with rectangular input cup. it would fit heresy 2 , tangent 400/500 or even some forte 1's for that matter, but the wires might not be long enough.

since I have been changing port sizes it seem to be shorter length ports are louder and punchier. longer are somewhat deeper but not as loud.