Happy Canada Day!

Islander

Happy Canada Day to everyone! I just finished watching the Canada Day concert from Parliament Hill in Ottawa. Metric and Carly Rae Jepsen performed, but for me the highlight was Chris Hadfield, our singing astronaut, singing I'm Listening with a choir.

Chris Hadfield is the coolest astronaut ever! [Y][H][Y] No disrespect to any other astronaut, but seriously, a spaceman singing his own song about being in space? That really takes it, plus his time on the ISS was full of amazing and exciting broadcasts. Chris's in-orbit cover of Space Oddity was great, and David Bowie approved of it, even with Chris's new words. He also performed more than 130 scientific experiments.

I didn't see a YouTube clip of today's performance, so here's one of him performing it with Ed Robertson of Barenaked Ladies while Chris was still on the International Space Station. Ed and the choir are on Earth, obviously. Some YouTube clips appear to have the wrong name for the song.

Chris Hadfield & Ed Robertson - I'm Listening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTYbqStuFjE

Chris Hadfield & Ed Robertson in studio planning the song:

Wow, July 1 already. In 2001, my wife and I treated ourselves a harbor view room at the Empress in Victoria for Canada Day. Great place to watch the fireworks in a great city. We also made it to the Fourth of July celebration in Hyder, Alaska that year but then that's a totally different sort of experience.

Wow indeed. The Empress is still here, but I was living in Toronto in 2001, and I didn't get my La Scalas until 2006. It would have been good to move here sooner, and to get some La Scalas much sooner. I'd wanted a pair since the Seventies, and wouldn't you know it, the ones I found were 1974 models. And to add to that, they cost more in 2006 than they did in 1974!

I'm looking forward to watching the fireworks from my balcony in a few hours. It's interesting to notice that as soon as the first few shells burst, the seagulls and other birds all take off. I guess they can feel the shock waves in their hollow bones.

It's easy to believe that the 4th of July in Alaska is really different. Do they have 24 hours of daylight then?