What subwoofer to match with Heresy I's?

davestef

Hi,

I'm moving out of my parents home where I have a pair of cornwalls, which i love and adore dearly. Me and some of the guys im in a band with are going to be renting a house and I wanted to keep that heritage sound, so i bought a pair of heresy I's off craigslist for a reasonable $275, the seller threw in a free pioneer sx 790 solid state receiver for free ( :D ). Cornwalls would be too big for the new house (not too big for me though). However after setting the new speakers and amp up, I'm left craving that fullness I get with the Cornwalls. So I set up the extra promedia amp i have lying around. It fills in the bass at low listening levels, but if i turn the volume up to even moderate levels, the promedia just cant keep up. My goal is to get a subwoofer that will compliment the heresys nicely, blending in with out being too boomy, something musical, and something in the $200-300 range. Ive been looking at the Klipsch rw12d, sub 10, and sub 12 (ive pretty much only bought klipsch speakers since I got my promedias back in college). Im not really sure how those compare with other subwoofers in that price range though. Any one have any experience with matching up a subwoofer with a pair of heresys?

Davestef,

Where are you located?

My goal is to get a subwoofer that will compliment the heresys nicely, blending in with out being too boomy, something musical, and something in the $200-300 range. Ive been looking at the Klipsch rw12d, sub 10, and sub 12 (ive pretty much only bought klipsch speakers since I got my promedias back in college). Im not really sure how those compare with other subwoofers in that price range though.

If it were me, I would not use any of those subwoofers mentioned. IMO, they are just not that musical.

Are you okay with used?

Any one have any experience with matching up a subwoofer with a pair of heresys?

I have used a Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature, a Paradigm Servo 15a, and my Klipsch RSW-10d. All sounded pretty darn good with the RSW-10d sounding the best, Servo 15a next, and then the Sunfire.

Bill

Hey Dave, if the Heresy 1's are original, they would greatly benefit from replacing/refreshing the crossovers. You are not getting the intended sound with old capacitors. I would do that before I bought a sub. You may find out you don't need a sub right now, once you get the speakers back up to spec.

Dennie

I have 20 pairs of Heresy I's to back Dennie's statement. But I never use subwoofer for 2-Channel listening anyway.

Hey Dave, if the Heresy 1's are original, they would greatly benefit from replacing/refreshing the crossovers. You are not getting the intended sound with old capacitors. I would do that before I bought a sub. You may find out you don't need a sub right now, once you get the speakers back up to spec.

Dennie

I have not replaced the caps. Theres one problem. I bought a set of new replacement caps from crites for my cornwalls almost two years ago and I haven't put them in my cornwalls yet... I don't know how to solder! I want to learn so I can replace the caps on both pairs of speakers, but one I'm not sure exactly what materials I need, two I don't want to destroy my speakers.

Also, I know the pioneer sx790 amp is a solid state amp, but do u think replacing the caps on the heresys would make them less shrill. They sound nice, but almost painful at the same time.

You know two days ago it was listed for $350 and I emailed them saying I've heard you guys have it on sale for $300 sometimes. And now it says $299.99. Sweet. But these guys got me thinking maybe I'd be better of changing the caps. A sub would be cool, but I don't think it would have the same effect as the cornwalls.

Dave,

To tell you the truth, I only experimented with the mentioned subwoofers(Sunfire, Paradigm, Klipsch) and have been running my Heresy I's without a sub in a 13 x 13 room for three + years and never felt they lack bass. As a matter of fact, after replacing the tweeters with the CT125's and refreshing the crossovers, I think the HI's sound just about perfect. The right amplification will also make a difference.

Bill

I own lots of mid 70s gear. Replacing the caps to get rid of the spam can caps should be done. However, in the past I have bought gear with the caps already replaced (though not realized by the seller)! So you need to be sure about whether or not your crossovers are truly originals or if someone already modded them. Soldering is easily learned, even if your first foray is messy. You will likely need to have some nimble fingers. If you have 2 left thumbs, enlist a friend to so this.

As for the sub, I held back on getting subs until after Hurricane Katrina. I have K-horns and LaScala's. So I thought subs would be a waste of $$. Although Barry White's vinyl tracks might have been laid down by the audio engineer in the 1970s for 2 channel stereo, there is no doubt that with my subs, babies can be made. The difference is night and day. I actually was shocked by it and I am therefore a firm believer in subs. Mind you, I have dual 18" pro audio subs, and I love my very bass heavy system.

You need to match the subs to the size of your space (in cubic feet). Some rooms are hard, some are acoustically soft. So figuring out your true needs can be a tricky part. If you attach bass shakers to your furniture, you might be able to reduce your sub needs too. (My main room is about 9000 cu ft and I can use up to 6 18" drivers in 4 different subs. However, I usually only run 1 dual cab sub and I do not have bass shakers).

I also have a Parts Express sub from when I had a small separate apt. It is not only the size of the sub, but to me and more importantly, the quality of the bass from the sub that is important. Otherwise the sub will earn the nickname, Mr Chuffy, from the horrible vibes.

As always with this gear, used is cheaper. You can always buy used Prof Audio (PA) gear. However, the sub might not meet the wife approval test. My Behringer single 18" subs are certainly not pretty, but they were inexpensive. I added separate sub amps from Parts Express some time later when the amps went on sale. You can drape such subs over with thin cloth to make them more appealing too.

Just my 2 cents....

My dad's old pioneer sm-83 tube amp some how decided to start working. The heresys were originally hooked up to the sx790, solid state. The different is night and day! The ear fatigue is gone, the shrill/harsh midrange is gone. But the kicker is that the bass is smoother/warmer. I actually dont feel the need to add a subwoofer. Gotta love tubes, i know heresys do. ;)

Dave,

Although it will cost you some money, the Pioneer SM-83 should be looked at. If it hasn't been gone over by a competent tech, it could be a disaster waiting to happen. I use my Heresy IIs with an older HK430 amp for my tv audio only. The bass is great and I've not felt the need to add a sub.

If I had to get rid of my LaScalas, I could happily live with the Heresy IIs. If you have original Heresy speakers, the crossovers could be refreshed (as you are doing with the Cornwalls), and a small adjustment can be made that will bring down the mids slightly, and provide a little more balance to the tone. This will sound like the bass is louder/fuller.

Here's a link to the thread covering the Heresy crossover mod. For grins and education, read the whole thing, because the mod changes a bit through the thread.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/21971/178900.aspx#178900

Bruce

I have 20 pairs of Heresy I's to back Dennie's statement. But I never use subwoofer for 2-Channel listening anyway.

Dennie

Ditto, except I don't have 20 pairs of Heresy 1's. Its funny upstairs I have a 18" sub with my Corns that I use mainly cause its hooked up to the system I use up there. But down in the basement I have a single pair of Heresy 1's, with no sub and I think it sounds wonderful.

Guess I'm another exception to the rule. I miss the last octave of music and don't like listening to my Heresys or Lascalas without a sub. There's too much missing.

Maybe if we pretend the last octave isn't there...

thats why its so hard to go from cornwalls to heresys [:^)]

I have a set of Plywood Heresy 1 as do most of my friends from my recommendations back in the 70's.

Place them in the corners of the room and you will increase the size of the speaker by 8 that's eight times due to the corner loading.

Back in the early 80's we had a pair inverted in the rear ceiling corners of the recording studio and they were used to mix down. People referred to them as the amazing big speakers. All the recordings turned out with a excellent results and sounded great on all the clients home and car systems.

If you need a small sub after that then and isobaric coffee table is my suggestion with the basket of one driver hanging out between the legs and the second driver mounted face to face with the first with it's basket inside the box. You only need half the sealed box size recommended for one driver but you need twice the power to get the same db level. Choose a driver with a very low fs.