Fabulous RF-7 modification!

Joepie

Use cord weatherstripping from Home Depot at $5 a roll 8 beads wide x 90ft x 1/8" thick. Here is the link.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/cord%2520weatherstripping?NCNI-5

Not caustic easy to form to woofer and horn frames. Can be peeled away if necessary. Use this on a refoam pair of 8" woofers for a friend and he told me the bass sounded better (without knowing why).

• 2 months later...

Sorry for rehashing this thread but this is the video that got me onto the Bitumex mod. I was wondering if there is somebody on the forum who has done this mod. My main concern is can this Bitumex stuff be removed again if the effect is not to my liking?

I'm having a rough time with this. Surely Klipsch would take this into account during the design testing phases.

Hehe so am I, that's why I'd like to make sure I can go back to stock. Bitumex costs a couple bucks so it's not expensive to give it a shot. But I don't expect much from it to be honest especially relative to an actual mod e.g. that kind you offer. :)

The harshness comes from the cones, there is some breakup and ringing around the crossover region. The woofers were modified in the later reference speakers to deal with it. Some don't notice it, it drives others nuts. When it's gone, it's really noticeable.

http://infinitysystems.com/tl_files/content_resources/infinity/white%20papers/cmmd.pdf

When I put the foam on the inside of my woofer basket spokes is when mine disappeared.

• 2 years later...
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2014 at 9:01 AM, Deang said:

I'm having a rough time with this. Surely Klipsch would take this into account during the design testing phases.

Looks like Klipsch has fixed this issue with the RF-III's, maybe there is something to it? At 1:54 he says the rubber makes the horn inert?

• 2 years later...
26 minutes ago, whatever55 said:

I know this is an old thread... but have you tried this stuff ?

Yes, and it works great.  It certainly deadens the "knuckle rap" test and makes the horn resonance lower.  I thought it helped to get rid of some HF harshness.

The proper amount for me was one 11 oz tube per horn.  Use the pure silicon caulk which is clear because it stays flexible forever.  The latex caulk gets brittle over time.  $5 per tube.  Be sure and put it into the horn throat.

Here is the pure silicon caulk applied asymmetrically to my CF-4 horn.  It takes 24 hours to cure, then re-install into the cab.

IMG_3776.JPG.7bf2f63a3ae39e3ab332a4ceda730f9f.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/15/2014 at 12:01 PM, Deang said:

You would think so, but apparently not!  Complaints about harshness of these tweeters are reported by so many, it's obviously an issue.  When I got mine, the first time I played them at a serious volume, it was noticeable right away, which is why I found this thread after a google search for "Klipsch RF-7 mods."

I called a friend who mentioned that warmer sounding amplifiers, especially tubes, sound much better on these.   I saw a youtube video of an even lower tier product line (RP-8000F) that had a huge suckout at the crossover region so there's a lot that can be missed for the lower tier product lines (see THIS VIDEO).

• 3 years later...

An audiophile buddy of mine and I performed this mod on his RF-7 Klipsch horns and it made a huge improvement in the overall sound. The high frequencies were just as detailed but it removed all of the fatiguing harshness, especially when listening to female vocals, violins or anything in the upper register.  Tried the spray material, but it didn’t do much. We then switched to a Bitumex-like tape, and that did the trick. He was connecting these speakers to some high end McIntosh amps and even when played at moderate volume levels, the overall sonic improvements were instantly noticeable. Klipsch must have recognized this design flaw because they now use some type of rubber composite material in their latest RF-7 III horns. 

Don’t think twice about it, definitely do this inexpensive mod!  Regardless of the musical genres that you listen to, you’ll be extremely pleased with the results.