speaker wire discussion for non believers

Guest " "

I'm a cable guy, no doubt about that, however on the Klipsch loudspeakers I have, the effects of cable changes do not have a huge effect for some reason. Don't get all excited however, they still sound better with solid copper than with stranded cable, I'm not giving that up.

P.S. I'm putting a 1000 dollar a meter, interconnect cable on e-bay next week. Yes, I can hear the difference, it just wasn't the direction I wanted to go.

Yikes, how many meters are you selling?

tube fanatic,

thanks for the link on cable piers trestles.

In comparison i've found that i much prefer using the old glass telephone wire insulators. The sound improvement is pretty much the same, but since they have been in service for decades holding wires loaded with telephone signal, they do not require any break in period whatsoever. Just use them and right away you are getting all you can get out of keeping your speaker cables off the floor.

lol

Didn't PWK recommend whisky bottles at one point? Perhaps for balancing networks components?

Zobel termination is a good practice that is not snake oil. The Zobel is nearly always placed at the load end of a cable and will be most effective where capacitive and inductive reactance is present, i.e. crossover network.

yes...I wondered which end of the Monster M-2 cable has the zoble...hopefully not both...because I'm thinking it would be better on the speaker end....but the M-2 cable does not have any markings to dictate which end goes where. But basically, my point was that some of these cables have gadgets on them that make them sound different. All too often that point is missed and we wind up talking about the russel website wire of the same guage is wire of the same guage rules, just buy lamp cord....etc. so if I were to zoble network some coat hangers could we tell the difference?

Agreed that purposefully built cables can change performance and sound. Yes.......we can all hear that.

The question is: Why do it in cables or in the wiring and pay a fortune when it probably is not even "right" for a given setup? Just seems like the WRONG way to approach an issue that an audiophile might feel needs to be dealt with.

Meanwhile, you have "hairlike" miniscule gauge of wiring in the speaker coil and in the networks........and you insert a "bump" in the line between the amp and all of that. It's a funny picture to me. [:D]

Yeah........I hear the difference, but I just aint buyin it. [:D]

so if I were to zoble network some coat hangers could we tell the difference?

Coat hangers are so good that they don't need Zobels.Big Smile

I reckon I could get coat hangers to actually reach between the 402's and the amps. Great suggestion I have a few that are temporarily decommissioned.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was going to keep one of the best kept secrets in audio to myself, but what the heck:

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TREST-CL

Think I had too many beers.............

tube fanatic,

thanks for the link on cable piers trestles.

In comparison i've found that i much prefer using the old glass telephone wire insulators. The sound improvement is pretty much the same, but since they have been in service for decades holding wires loaded with telephone signal, they do not require any break in period whatsoever. Just use them and right away you are getting all you can get out of keeping your speaker cables off the floor.

I found two large boxes of those--green glass telephone wire insulators--15 years ago in an outbuilding of a house we bought 15 years ago. Carted them from Indiana to Georgia. Wife made me throw them away--100 of them--two months ago at the dump. Never imagined there was a use for them for speakers! I should have asked!

[

I found two large boxes of those--green glass telephone wire insulators--15 years ago in an outbuilding of a house we bought 15 years ago. Carted them from Indiana to Georgia. Wife made me throw them away--100 of them--two months ago at the dump. Never imagined there was a use for them for speakers! I should have asked!

I guess you didn't want the $2-$5 each they are selling for :-)

put me down with the non-believers...I'll use what Monster Cable I have been fooled into buying 22 years ago, by a Klipsch dealer, and the 1 cable for a center I bought CHEAP...or, got FREE...

and I spent a little on Bananas for convenience, since I seem to be changing speakers often...

so if I were to zoble network some coat hangers could we tell the difference?

Coat hangers are so good that they don't need Zobels.Big Smile

I reckon I could get coat hangers to actually reach between the 402's and the amps. Great suggestion I have a few that are temporarily decommissioned.

Don't forget to put coats on the hangars....gotta dampen those evil vibrations [;)]