WTB - 3 channel amplifier --bought--

christ1

I am interested in buying a 3 channel amp with at least 100 W/ch to drive my RF-83s and RC-62. I am curious to hear the differences between my receiver and using separate amplifiers. I am looking for an Acurus, Adcom, Parasound, Rotel, Marantz, etc. for $300 or less. I would be fine with a pair of identical stereo amps.

Might keep your eyes open for a dbx BX3. It's configurable between 2,3 or 4 channels. When in 4 channel mode, I think it's 100 or 125 watts/channel.

I don't remember.

I am however, currently using one in a stereo-biamped situation and it works very nice. I enjoy having a single amp powering all 4 sections instead of having to use 2 amps.

Also has variable inputs so you can adjust the gain to match things.

I will look into the DBX amps; I have not heard of them before.

Thanks for the CL link, I will look into that.

And PM replied.

Is there anything a 200 W/ch amp gives you that a 100 W/ch does not (other than volume headroom)? Will a higher power amp sound better than a lower power one? What is the point in having a huge amount of headroom if all that headroom is too loud? Since Klipsch speakers are so efficient, wouldn't a 50 W/ch drive them to a distortion free loud volume in my open floor plan 20'x20' living room? The RF-83s are rated at 100 db @ 1 W which is quite loud.

Is there anything a 200 W/ch amp gives you that a 100 W/ch does not (other than volume headroom)?

3 dB more volume.

If we are talking the same amp topography from the same mfr, yes I do think you would benefit more from the higher power amp. More headroom equals better ability to drive the lower frequencies to the volume you desire. More punch, better seperation, more detail in most cases. As Michael(Youthman) often equates, a Corvette with a big 405 HP V8 engine will have an easier time getting to 140mph than the Malibu with a 145 HP 4 cylinder. Both may be able to get to 140mph, but the V8 will do it without sweating.

On the other hand, a high quality 100w/channel amp with ultra low impedence driving capabilities, will perform better(in most cases) than a low quality 200w/channel amp that is barely rated to 4ohms.

Bill

Also, if you can swing more than $300.00, take a look at this.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/3917776107.html

Seller has listed this amp many times and I think you should offer him $600.00 and see if he bites.

I have owned two of these amps and they have performed beautifully driving my RF-63's.

3E13Lb3I35G95H75qfd76afeb9c6544111311.jp

Bill

I have a B&K Reference 3220 3 channel amp with 200 w/ch I would sell for $350. I've been using it to drive KLF 30's and a C-7 center.

Excellent amp at a great price.[Y][Y][Y]

You better grab it before someone else does.[:D]

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I have a B&K Reference 3220 3 channel amp with 200 w/ch I would sell for $350. I've been using it to drive KLF 30's and a C-7 center.

I bought the B&K 3220 from talmadge. The transaction was without issues (talmadge had good communication and I never had any reservations) and the amp arrived in great condition and sounds really nice. It definitely has greater clarity, depth and power over my receiver.

I hesitated in posting here because I was afraid someone would offer something just outside what I wanted to spend, and I would be enticed to spend more than I wanted to. Of course this is exactly what happened but I rationalized it to my wife that it was a good enough deal on a great amp.

Thanks talmadge.