Forte ?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

larger passive = lower distortion/noise and can push more air than a 12. if you love the K700/K701 then the Forte is for you. If you want a better mid horn try the Forte ll. as many like one as the other. both can be tuned lower easily by adding dead weight to the passive. neither has any bass depth extension advantage both can go as low. when you are looking don't over look the KLF20 and the CF3. the KLF20 does need a replacement tweeter diaphragm for the poly it used in its K79 motor and the Cf3 does need to be raised so that the centre of the horn is at your seated ear level. of the four loudspeakers mentioned the CF3 is hands down the best but it will require some power so if you want to use a small amp then the Forte or the Forte ll will be the best option. Prices vary way to much with location and only you know what is fair to you. Hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

KLF20 come with caveats, the stock poly tweeter diaphragms really must be replaced because they do not sound any good, phenolic is better titanium is the best by a very wide margin. KLF must be checked for loose baffles front and back and if sound that is fine but if not remove them and reinstall. This presents the oportunity to install brace work at the same time. The KLF20 will require a larger amp than a Fort or Forte ll but not as large as a CF3 does. The horn (mid) in the KLF20 is a better horn than eiither the K701 in the Fort or the mid horn in the Forte ll. The KLF20 mid horn is capable of being used all the way out to 20 KHz and it is in fact used as a tweeter horn in some pro Klipsch speakers. The horns in the Forte and the Forte ll are both limited in bandwidth to mid range duty only. I would not buy any new speaker which had a K701 in it, the Forte ll mid horn is a much better sounding horn in my opinion. These are my opinions and I am sure that you will find many who feel differently. You need to listen to all of them to decide which you like best because your opinion is the most important one. I hope this helps and I hope you get the chance to listen to all these speakers for yourself. If you are not really interested in modifying anything and you simply want to stick to a stock loudspeaker then bypass both the Forte ll and the KLF20 and make the jump directly to the CF3 but do raise them up so that the horns are at your seated ear level. Best regards Moray James

Looking at a pair of Fortes and was wondering if i should be looking for the Forte ii or are both really close.

IMO, the forte I and forte II sound almost the same. One advantage the forte II has over the forte I is off axis listening. The forte II with the tractrix midhorn is not as placement specific and offers a smoother response when your listening position is not ideal.

Bill

Jason: curious to know if you ever ran the CF3 raised up so that the centre of the horn was at your seated ear level? I am also curious if you can describe how the Forte or Forte ll sound different from the CF3? Do you hear much difference beetween the K701 and the Forte ll mid horn? Which horn of those two do you prefer and why? Do you still have the CF3 to listen to? Thans I very much appreciate the input. GBest regards Moray James.

moray james

I spent quite some time shopping for speakers ( 6 mos) when i picked up my Chorus II's, the Forte II's were my second choice at the time. I remember auditioning the Klipsch lineup at the time and did not like the CF line of loudspeakers myself. Since then i have heard the CF2's briefly in a friends basement while playing cards and remembered why i passed on the CF purchase. Kinda harsh, gritty, and missing something compared to the Quartet's, Forte II & Chorus II's. The La Scala's and above were out of my price range at the time unfortunately.

2 of my friends own the Forte series speakers one the Forte and one the Forte II, i have spent more time in front of the Forte models myself as just about every other weekend we hang out and jam some Vinyl either by his place or mine.

I'm still very happy with my 2 klipsch loudspeaker systems and probably will not change a thing though recently picked up a new to me turntable and am very happy with the purchase and the price.

ive got KLF 30 forte II and chorus I in my listening room. forte II has the better all round mid range. Though i feel the mid horn on the chorus I / forte I might image a little better when in the sweet spot. The KLF is good, especially in the bass, but in the mids they tend to be more shouty than either of the mid horns on the forte/chorus I's and II's.

i've never had the forte I setting in my room, but have heard it. It sound just about like the forte II. and really the chorus sounds about the same as well. The KLF sounds the most different, but even then pretty similar except for the peaky spots in the upper mids. Not really a big fan of the KLF mid horn because of it.

all of the comparisons are with Ti tweets.

if you can score forte ii or i for a good price, do it, throw in the Ti mid diaphragms and tweets, raise em up about a foot and enjoy a great sounding speaker.

While I haven't made a side-to-side comparison, I think I like the Forte I the best. In fact, I had a pair of Chorus II and when I replaced them with Forte I, it seemed like there was a noticeable improvement. That was a bit of a surprise. Either way, both of the Forte versions are great speakers and perform outstanding for their price.

I went from a Heritage speaker to KLF and the KLF midrange is not very good in comparison imo. It was like the electric guitar was turned down in the KLF. But some people like KLF for the reason the midrange is not as forward. Being a guitar player though I want the midrange forward so I can hear the guitar better.

I've been wanting Forte too, and have also been wondering about Forte I and II midrange. Is the tractix more or less forware for things like electric rhythm guitar (100 - 200hz)?