Forte ?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well the pics do not match the speakers [:(]. Not sure when he took those pics or if those are the same speakers but the ones hes selling have black marks on the top of one and water marks on the other.

I talked to him on the phone and he said they had some marks on the tops so had him send me some pics. Had to pass so the search continues [:D].

I bought a pair of heresy 1's a year or so ago for the house im moving into with my friends. I have a pair of cornwall 1's. After replacing the caps on both and refinishing them as best I could they both sound and look better. However, I still could not get over the lack of bass response of the heresy compared to the cornwall. So I started looking into the forte 1 and 2. On a few older threads on other forums people recommended the original forte over the 2, so i was looking to get a set of originals. But then here you guys seem to like the 2's better. Anyway, Ive been looking on craigslist and ebay for the last few weeks. All the forte 1's are $$$, but I was able to find a decent looking pair for $300 local pick up off ebay after negotiating with the seller down from $400.

What do you think? Good deal, bad deal? I already paid for it, so it doesn't matter really, just curious what you forte users think.

My next issue will be if the house mates are cool with them being a foot or so away from the wall. It does have a footprint about the same as the heresy, but when you factor in the fact that they need to be away from the wall, the footprint isnt so small anymore. We shall see. I could always try to sell them if it doesn't work out.

I bought a pair of heresy 1's a year or so ago for the house im moving into with my friends. I have a pair of cornwall 1's. After replacing the caps on both and refinishing them as best I could they both sound and look better. However, I still could not get over the lack of bass response of the heresy compared to the cornwall. So I started looking into the forte 1 and 2. On a few older threads on other forums people recommended the original forte over the 2, so i was looking to get a set of originals. But then here you guys seem to like the 2's better. Anyway, Ive been looking on craigslist and ebay for the last few weeks. All the forte 1's are $$$, but I was able to find a decent looking pair for $300 local pick up off ebay after negotiating with the seller down from $400.

What do you think? Good deal, bad deal? I already paid for it, so it doesn't matter really, just curious what you forte users think.

My next issue will be if the house mates are cool with them being a foot or so away from the wall. It does have a footprint about the same as the heresy, but when you factor in the fact that they need to be away from the wall, the footprint isnt so small anymore. We shall see. I could always try to sell them if it doesn't work out.

Sweet looking pair! Nice find. My Dad lives in that zip code. That's where I was born.

You got a deal deal on those. ebay sellers can be a bit cranky with the price.

More like 18" away from the wall. However, you do have to keep them aesthetically pleasing for the Fung Shui of the room.

I do have my right front Chorus II right up against the wall.

Sweet looking pair! Nice find. My Dad lives in that zip code. That's where I was born.

You got a deal deal on those. ebay sellers can be a bit cranky with the price.

More like 18" away from the wall. However, you do have to keep them aesthetically pleasing for the Fung Shui of the room.

I do have my right front Chorus II right up against the wall.

I noticed that this pair I bought and the other pair that sold on ebay both dont have the raisers. Every other pair of fortes that I've seen has the raisers, so I thought that it was a standard thing for them, but I guess not?

peraonally I find that the riser has very dated look and they don't raise the speaker high enough, a four post 14 inch tall stand will get thecentre of the mid horn at your seated ear level which will let it stage and image best and the speakers will look excellent. Best regards Moray James.

post-46582-13819857891618_thumb.jpg

I've found that I prefer having the tweeters a fair bit above ear level. When my La Scalas were using their tweeters and squawkers, the tweeters were a few inches below ear level, and the effect to my ears was that all the musicians were sitting down. That's okay for folk, but doesn't seem right for rock, and diminishes the size of symphony orchestras.

When I converted them to JubScalas, and set the tweeters on top of the cabinets, it raised the tweeters 11 inches, and now the musicians sound like they're standing up. That sounds better to me.

Recently, I replaced the old La Scalas with La Scala IIs (I hope everybody isn't tired of me mentioning that yet), which are 4 inches taller, so the tweeters are sitting 4 inches higher, about 9 inches above ear level. If you measure from the midpoint of the squawker/tweeter combo of the cabinet, the Jubilee tweeters (which also function as squawkers, since JubScalas are 2-way) are 13 inches higher, so the mids and highs with the JubScalas radiate from a point 13 inches higher than you would get with a normal LS or LS2 cabinet.

The extra 4 inches of height provided by the new cabinets gives the sensation of a bigger presentation, and a bigger sound. I like it.

I've found that I prefer having the tweeters a fair bit above ear level. When my La Scalas were using their tweeters and squawkers, the tweeters were a few inches below ear level, and the effect to my ears was that all the musicians were sitting down. That's okay for folk, but doesn't seem right for rock, and diminishes the size of symphony orchestras.

When I converted them to JubScalas, and set the tweeters on top of the cabinets, it raised the tweeters 11 inches, and now the musicians sound like they're standing up. That sounds better to me.

Recently, I replaced the old La Scalas with La Scala IIs (I hope everybody isn't tired of me mentioning that yet), which are 4 inches taller, so the tweeters are sitting 4 inches higher, about 9 inches above ear level. If you measure from the midpoint of the squawker/tweeter combo of the cabinet, the Jubilee tweeters (which also function as squawkers, since JubScalas are 2-way) are 13 inches higher, so the mids and highs with the JubScalas radiate from a point 13 inches higher than you would get with a normal LS or LS2 cabinet.

The extra 4 inches of height provided by the new cabinets gives the sensation of a bigger presentation, and a bigger sound. I like it.

I couldnt agree with you more. When i listen to my cornwalls, I usually put a pillow on the floor in front of the couch and just lay back. The sound is so much bigger down there. One thing I dont like about the hereseys is that the sound is pointing up from below, they sound nice, yet so small in that aspect.

Also, the seller I bought those fortes from said that they do have the raisers for them, but they don't have the screws. Any idea what kind of screw(s) I'd need?

I have a dilemma. Those forte II's I bought on eBay are a mess. 1. One of the speakers only has sound coming through the squawker. The other speaker doesn't have any sound coming out of the tweeter. 2. The cabinets/veneer is a little rougher than I thought they'd be based off the photos.

I'm not really familiar with the forte 2 and how to get to the crossover and speakers. I'm used to the cornwall and heresy where you just unscrew the back.

I'm debating whether to pursue updating the crossovers and tweeters etc or just returning them saying that the item wasn't as described. Sucks that it cost me about $20 in tolls just to pick them up.

There is no point in removing the passive leave it alone. The crossover is attached to the terminal cup. For right now you can leave that alone and leave looking at that till after you check the commentions to the driver. The lead wires are soldered to the network so unless something is fired (and you would smell that) there is nothing for you to do there anyway. Pull the drivers one at a time starting with the tweeter and see if the lead wire are actually connected. If they are connected take a piece of tape and place it on the driver next to the colored wire which is the positive, the black wires are all negative. Cneck each connector to see it it looks good as in solid and clean. Take a meter and make note of the DCR of each driver. See if that gets you anywhere. You can test each driver with a low level of music just connect the speaker wire and see if each driver works. If all the drivers work (maake sound) reinstall and try again. If you still have issues then the problem is in the network. Since you were planning to install new networks buy them and you should be good to go. If I can't see it and hear it I at least want to buy it off a forum member. Good luck and best regards Moray James.