Forte ?

There is no point in removing the passive leave it alone. The crossover is attached to the terminal cup. For right now you can leave that alone and leave looking at that till after you check the commentions to the driver. The lead wires are soldered to the network so unless something is fired (and you would smell that) there is nothing for you to do there anyway. Pull the drivers one at a time starting with the tweeter and see if the lead wire are actually connected. If they are connected take a piece of tape and place it on the driver next to the colored wire which is the positive, the black wires are all negative. Cneck each connector to see it it looks good as in solid and clean. Take a meter and make note of the DCR of each driver. See if that gets you anywhere. You can test each driver with a low level of music just connect the speaker wire and see if each driver works. If all the drivers work (maake sound) reinstall and try again. If you still have issues then the problem is in the network. Since you were planning to install new networks buy them and you should be good to go. If I can't see it and hear it I at least want to buy it off a forum member. Good luck and best regards Moray James.

Too late, took the passive woofers off. The one speaker that has sound coming through the woofer and squawker, but not the tweeter looked OK to me. I didnt see any loose wires and the connection at the tweeter was intact as well as the other end of the wires going from the tweeter to the crossover. This is the first time ive seen a forte crossover and to me i couldnt see anything wrong with it.

However, the other speaker that only had sound coming through the squawker had part of the crossover broken off some home. Im guessing when the speaker fell or something. That speakers has a pretty chewed off lower corner. Heres a photo of the crossover. Oh, the connections at each speaker were all intact.

Also, one of the passive woofers has a pushed in center part of the cone. Im not sure if thats something to worry about.

I'm going to email the seller letting them know that it doesnt work as described, since they said they worked fine. But my real dilemma is if its worth replacing the crossovers in a set of fortes that have G - cabinets. Replacement crossovers cost $213, the crossover repair kit (sonicaps cost $63). I have experience (barely) after replacing the caps on my cornwalls and heresys, but ive never replaced whole crossovers. Some guy had a really nice set of forte I's for $500 and i opted to go the cheaper route as these were just for my house with my friends. That, plus the fact that the heresys i have set up at the new house are starting to grow on me are making me feel like I shouldn't have bought these. I cant even turn them cause then i'd be the jerk selling busted speakers.

post-34038-13819858094348_thumb.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you did not say if you had checked the drivers individually to see if they worked. My guess is that the drivers are all fine. The inductor has to be slodered back in place for the woofer to run. Check the drivers one at a time connected directy to the amp playing music at a low level just enought to see if they play. My guess is they are fine. If you cannot repair the crossover get Bob to do so and you will be fine and have a good sounding set of speakers that are just a little rough on the physical edges that 's all. See if you can get the vendor to give you ar partial refund for your trouble and move forward. So long as all the drivers work a new network is money well spent, the speakers will sound better than new. Best regards Moray James.

150 bucks for some forte bones isn't bad at all. i'd check the driver motors make sure they aren't pinching the voice coils of the mid/tweeter diaphragms. though generally when that happens you will still get some sound out of them.