KPT-100's restored and ready to ship

mustang guy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mustang guy.

It appears Never wet is no good for long term use. Lots of vids on youtube to show how the coating loses its effectivness in minutes. Of course it's only youtube but I wanted to let you know.

It's hard to say. I already spent the money, but I did it to get free shipping from Summit for another order. I did the speaker like I said. The cone looks light blue now. I also coated the horn. Through the grille, the light blue driver and horn look kinda cool.

I opened up the speaker and coated everything inside with either paint or this never wet. I removed wires and used deoxit on all connections.

I think I have made this speaker as weatherproof as I can. I removed the foam from the inside, just because I figure it is like a sponge. Frankly, my ear cannot tell the difference with it out, so I think for weather reasons is best kept out. I suppose one could use a fiberfill stuffing as a replacement if they wanted to tune it to stock specs. I'm not going to bother. I took pictures and was going to upload some, but I can't find my cell phone. I had insomnia tonight, so I don't want to go all over the house looking right now cause I may wake everybody up.

Here are some pictures of the waterproofing I did on the KPT-100.

Driver horn and network before

Image00001.jpg

After:

Image00007.jpg

Screws before:

Image00003.jpg

After:

Image00004.jpg

Cabinet painted:

Image00005.jpg

extra paint at screw holes:

Image00006.jpg

Waterproofed speaker next to plain speaker. See the blue drivers through the grille....

Image00009.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Got em today via FedEx. Can you say "holy packing!" Thanks Craig!

Two pair! Nice, how are you going to use them?

Very carefully! :-). Honestly they are still in their boxes until I get time to turn the family room into our theater room! They will be the surrounds.

Heh heh... They'll be awesome surrounds.

ProTip™: The mounting brackets set the speakers away from the wall ~2 - 3 inches. If you want them closer to the wall than that they can be cut down.

ProTip™: The mounting brackets set the speakers away from the wall ~2 - 3 inches. If you want them closer to the wall than that they can be cut down.

Or my almost-flush mounting method (page 2?): speaker bolted to half-inch plywood, plywood hung on the wall using metal french cleats.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...