Shure M91E Vs Shure M55E

The Dude

I recently purchased two Dual TT, one of them had a Shure M91E, and the other had a Shure M55E. I found replacement styuses ranging from 12.00-30.00, the 12 dollar ones being from ebay, and the 30.00 dollar ones being from Ed Saunder whom I have purchased my V15 mark 3 replacement styluses from. Would either of these 2 be worth putting a new stylus on or since this table could end up being my main player should I take it up a notch on the cartridge. The main table with be the Dual 1019. If so what would you recommend, I know your going to ask whats my budget, ha that ever seems to go according to plan, so through them at me. But seriously now I will not purchase a cart that runs several hundred dollars or even thousands at this time so don't get to carried away. I would like to keep it under 300.00 and don't want to have to have a step up transformer. I was just thinking of looking for another V15 type 3 as that seems to be the big one used on those tables in the past.

The V15 is no longer being produced. The current top-of-the-line Shure cartridge is the M97xE, and it's quite good. It's a big step up from the M91E, and it's not expensive, listing for $89 and sometimes available for less.

Replacement styli for the M97xE are readily available, and cost $50 or less.

The V15 is no longer being produced. The current top-of-the-line Shure cartridge is the M97xE, and it's quite good. It's a big step up from the M91E, and it's not expensive, listing for $89 and sometimes available for less.

Replacement styli for the M97xE are readily available, and cost $50 or less.

Islander is right, the M97xE is a great cartridge and the price is right. [Y]

B&H Photo has it for $69 and Amazon has it for $70, if you are an Amazon Prime member, you get free shipping too. [<:o)]

Keep us posted,

Dennie

So what your basically saying is purchasing a older v15 from the bay for 200 and up isn't a good idea since the m97xE is more superior cart for under 80. Well then I will put one in my Amazon wish list. This is why I ask, as sometimes there is something that is a great product for not that much money. I did remember after I posted this that I bought a Shure m92e p mount for my technics table that barely got used, and it came with a universal mount adapter. So I will give this a try to try out these tables, once I get one of them up and running I will probably order the M97xE, I figured for the price where could I go wrong.

There's a bit more to it than that. Over the years, stylus wear is not all that happens to a cartridge. The suspension of the cantilever ages, and the magnetism of the magnets may decrease. Any V15 cartridge you buy will be years old, even if it's never been used and is still in its box.

The V15 was a great cartridge when it was new, but there aren't anymore new ones, so even if an M97 is not better than a new V15, it may be better than an old V15.

After six years of play, I replaced the stylus assembly on my M97, and the sound was noticeably improved, even though it had sounded fine, and it was unlikely that the stylus itself was badly worn. The deterioration in sound takes place slowly, so you get accustomed to the gradually increasing loss in crispness and detail.