rb-81's an upgrade to rf-62's???

Uts

or is it pretty much a lateral move for replacing my 62 fronts?

i've been happy with my 62's since i bought them a few years back, but there's a pair of 81's on the local CL, & they have me curious.

i have 51's as the rears in my 5.1, but for my room size & placement theyre pretty good. the 81's would be overkill.

just really asking for opinions, as i've never really heard them, & didnt know how they'd compare.

also, what's the going price range for these on the used market? i havent found many up for sale for a comparison. the rf series doesnt really come up for sale in these parts often.

thanks for the advice ;)

Just by looking at the specs and considering difference in
bass between bookshelf speakers and towers I’d say keep RF-62.

Never owned any of these speakers, but used pair of B-3 as
fronts for a little bit in my 5.1 with pretty weak sub and later bought pair of F-3 and noticed huge improvement
right away. Keep in mind that I’m using my set up as HT only and my fronts set
to large (not crossed). I think RB-81 wont be able to deliver as much mid and low bass as RF-62.

Please note my comments regarding the CF3 are meant for a two channel system and will not apply to your HT set up as there will be a mismatch between speakers in the system. Stay as you are unless you want to change everything. I appologize for not reading your pos,t I saw your post title and went from there. moray james.

if you are going to switch make the jump for a loudspeaker with a larger horn as this will provide directivity control to a lower frequency with horns larger is better. the RF5 or the RF5 ll both use the same horn lens as in the RF7 and the RF7 ll. the other option which comes to mind would be to find a pair of ic series CF3 but those will take up a lot more room and will require a more substantial amplifier for which you will get much better sound and the largest horn available short of a k400 which will go lower but hot near a high. hope this is of interest. best regards moray james.

Bill,

The RB81 is a great speaker but the midrange of the RF62 will be more fluid and smooth with the 6.5 inch drivers as opposed to the 81's 8 inch driver. With HT it may be a lateral move at best, for music a downgrade IMO.

Bill

To the OP, keep the RF 62 since you will most likely need a stand for the RF 81's. The difference between major brands of speaker is mostly in the midrange. The preamp will have a lot of direction on how the midrange sounds. In the two way Reference line a lot depends on if you run the speakers full range or as satellites and the power of your system. The 8 in should not be a problem as far as SQ IMO. Use a sub and convert the entire system to a 3 way system, lol.[^o)]

You're saying that for music, the midrange driver shouldn't be too big? Will 8 incher pose a problem?

JTR speakers (212HT and 228) have 12 inchers & 8 inchers...and everyone loves them for movies and music.

jtr uses a pro style driver. Paper with a different style of surround. Completely different style of speaker. Much less mass to move.

i wasnt worried about the driver sizes. i was just curious to see if it was an upgrade. i know the sound would be different by a bit. i just was on the fence on whether i should pull the trigger or not. like i said above, the rf series doesnt pop up in the mitten often. i wanted to take advantage since they were fairly close :)

you can ask all you want but if you have no listening experience (of different size woofers) comments will likely be of limited use. Listening to an assortment of speakers and making up your on mind is going to be the best thing that you can do. Go listen to some RF floorstanders of assorted sizes and see what you think. Watch on CL and check out some Forte ll, KLF20, CF3, Cornwall or Chorus ll. Larger woofers will sound different and they will stage and image differently. What size works for you only you will know. This goes for two ways and three ways. Best regards Moray James.

you can ask all you want but if you have no listening experience (of different size woofers) comments will likely be of limited use. Listening to an assortment of speakers and making up your on mind is going to be the best thing that you can do. Go listen to some RF floorstanders of assorted sizes and see what you think. Watch on CL and check out some Forte ll, KLF20, CF3, Cornwall or Chorus ll. Larger woofers will sound different and they will stage and image differently. What size works for you only you will know. This goes for two ways and three ways. Best regards Moray James.

i think he was simply stating that just because we have heard lots of sizes of speakers and you may have not our opinion is just that. And that only your ears could tell you what you like and dislike. That's all. Moray has never struck me as a guy to jump at you and scold you. I'm sure his interests are only to help as all of ours is as well.