Water rings

vnzbd

I picked up a set of KG 5.5s last night from the local CL. They are "Light Oak" and are in great condition except for small water rings on both of the tops. Are there any known ways to remove the rings?

Thanks!

Gee, this topic comes up frequently.

If the ring is white then the finish was probably either oil or lacquer. It can be removed by rubbing with a light abrasive such as a paste made from baking soda and water. Do google search and you will find more specific instructions. Keep in mind, depending on the degree of damage, this will not be a perfect cure (refinshing would be required for that).

Good luck and enjoy your "new" speakers.

When my post appears you will notice I had the same problem. Mine were on the dark side soI asked advise from a Polk Club member who just happens to be a wood worker as a profession.Ther are some steps and need to be followed in order. This of course is depending on how severe the stains are and mine were.

1.Use chemical stripper to remove any old finish and varnish.2. Steel wool using 00000 gu 3.After dry apply Oaxalic wood bleach on primarily the stains not to wet saturate the batch so not to warp the wood.(carefull the dry crystals cause sneezing fits) 4.Vacumum off then tack rag clean. 5. Sand to your hearts content w/ 150 grit or higher sandpaper then lower the grit till that baby butt feel.6. Again tack cloth clean then use finish of your choice and after that use either a satin or gloss poly.

I just did my Polk SDA-2bs w/ Light Oak tops and now they are Walnut...... be very careful

some of these recommendations are calling for some aggressive actions. These would in turn require a new "finsh" to be applied. Do you know what the current finsh is( lacquer, oil etc)? Some finishes can not be mixed (eg applying oil over a lightly sanded lacquer).

A lot of good ideas. I only know the finish is called "light oak", no more details are provided on the website. I think I will start with the baking soda since I have it here. I have enough other projects going on so that I don't want to open the can of worms!

Thanks again everyone!

You have to do some homework first.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/watco/rejuvenating-oil as you can read on that link, rejuvenating oil is for a finish that is oil in the first place.

Is there a sticker on the back of the speakers with initials like OO oiled oak, or LO. It will give a hint as to what finish you have. Let us know and someone can decode.

My guess is that you have lacquer. Oil will darken oak and if it is light oak my thought is that it is not oil.

Don't use a chemical stripper to remove lacquer (if you must remove it). Lacquer thinner or acetone (nail polish remover) will melt it, if it needs removal.

WMcD

Well I have read through the posted specs for the KG fininshes. My guess is that it changed as the series progressed.

KG 1,3, and 4 are listed as "Oak Oil"

KG 1.2, 2.2, 3.2, 4.2 and 5.2 are listed as "Oak, Oil, Oak Clear" my guess is that somehow the comma between Oak and oil is misplaced and it should read "Oak Oil, Oak Clear".

KG 1.1, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, and 5.5 are listed as just "Light Oak". On all finishes for the 5.5 there is no mention of an oil option.

Maybe a call to Klipsch is in order?

• 3 weeks later...

Well just an update on the water rings. I went with the Howards "Restore-a-Finish" followed by Howards "Feed-n-Wax". They now look great. I also did a set of Chorus IIs in "oak clear" and they came out amazing as well. Again all, thanks for the tips!