RF-7's with Surround

slaterson

I've got a pair of RF-7's (that I think sound wonderful!) being powered by a 2 channel McIntosh amp. I'm upgrading the system to 5.1 surround sound, what are the best speakers to pair with the RF-7's?

This is what I'm thinking:

2 KS-7502-THX for the rear surround speakers (prefer to no have wall mounted and can't do in-wall in the room)

RC-64 II for the center channel

JL Audio F112 sub

Some audio shop guys are offering that Dynaudio Excite or Contour bookshelf speakers could replace my RF-7's, and to round out the system Dynaudio center and surround speakers would be used. I listened to the Dynaudio's, the Contour sounds nice but unfortunately I can't do a side-by-side comparison. I'm not convinced they sound better.

New 5 channel amp will also be McIntosh.

When I purchased the RF-7's and the amp (about 13 years ago) I was very focused on 2 channel audio only and music reproduction. I'd like to maintain focus on music reproduction with the ability to watch and feel movies the way they are supposed to be watched and felt.

rf7's all the way around if possible. always stick with reference do not mix the thx in there. it will sound ok but not optimum. at least the 1 in the center is a perfect front soundstage for any media period. Then reference surrounds for sure. you need large as possible reference surrounds to match your large rf7 main fronts. klipsch reference sound supreme 10 out of 10 with klipsch reference. klipsch reference are made for sound matching as are klipsch thx are made to match each other.

The larger the reference surrounds you go the better the match you will have in your surrounds. although small reference wont kill it just may not be as optimum. will work fine though . . .

I could not agree with scrappydue more. I have the jl fathom 10 and iv heard the all jl's and they are impressive but worth more to sell/trade than keep. Look at the svs subs or paradigm if you want bang for buck. velodyne have some killer subs as well. There is money well spent in subs but not with jl unless bought used and cheap believe me. I just bought a cerwin vega lw12 cause iv never owned cerwin vega and for about 200 used its a great sub. Im considering buying a second for a temporary project i have going on. They adjust very well, very tunable and can litterally knock stuff off the walls with just 1 i could not believe it for 250 shipped, used

I see scrappy has an svs and his is top of the line if im not mistaken but even down a few notches svs are killer. Id have to suggest svs as well, just for the fact they are what everybody in the world are buying right now, this usually means they are good lol. i have read reviews but have not heard one that i know of for sure although im almost certain i had and did not know . . . . with svs reputation atm you cant go wrong

There's a single RF-7 for sale by me for $299.

I was speaking with the seller and I almost bought that single RF-7 since the price was so good, and I was just going to hold onto it until I found a second one for a good price. Even with $100 shipping to Indiana, I thought it was a great price. But I ended up finding a good deal on a pair of RF-7's with an RC-7 center speaker.

If I had the right setup, I would have considered buying the single RF-7 and using it for a center channel, but a tower center will not work in my home theater.

To the OP: Have you considered the RC-7 for a center? It is a perfect match visually, and I believe it is also supposed to be a good match sound-wise.

The larger the reference surrounds you go the better the match you will have in your surrounds. although small reference wont kill it just may not be as optimum. will work fine though . . .

I don't use RS 62's and the RS 35 are great for surrounds. Running them as small I don't think a larger surround would be any better. I have never maxed out the surrounds looking at my meters on the amps that I have had on them. Extra power handling capacity that is not used or needed is just extra with no benefit. Even if I had the RS 62's I would run them as small like the rest of my system. Just one man's opinion. Put the extra money for a good sub, for more bang for you bucks. Also look at some passive subs like Chase or JTR for a lot of performance for the buck.

I understand and agree. I do prefer using 5 identical speakers all the way around. The system that tied me too klipsch was 5.1 using 5 kg.5;s anda jbl10 on an avr mark25II. Still to this day i keep this same system in a box in the closet xept for the jbl10. And yes i did re buy the system. My original avr25 was hit by lightening at the same time 1 week after i bought a toshiba 41 in scfreen 15yrs ago then my toshiba dual disc with 5 free dvds for 500. Anyhow the hkavr25's infered remote sensor burned out and my 1 week old 41" toshiba went green on both sides.

Ya know i unplugged it for 3 days and plugged back in and was fine, could just barely tell. that tv lasted til 5 yrs ago i gave to the neighbors and still works to this day, just slight green in top left hand corner.

So to the original posters content here i refrane on my prior statement and would like to say 5/7/9.1 ss etc . . .all speakers being same size yeild best results with reference series as well as 5 ls's, cw's, kh's or heck rb41's...in my opinion. same speakers equal same projection of sound rubs the silk in our ears better than just buy and mount on the wall. To use different speakers can take years to pull the meters to the green section.

I don't use RS 62's and the RS 35 are great for surrounds. Running them as small I don't think a larger surround would be any better. I have never maxed out the surrounds looking at my meters on the amps that I have had on them. Extra power handling capacity that is not used or needed is just extra with no benefit. Even if I had the RS 62's I would run them as small like the rest of my system. Just one man's opinion. Put the extra money for a good sub, for more bang for you bucks. Also look at some passive subs like Chase or JTR for a lot of performance for the buck.

Thats the nail on the head in the case of the rf7 by a klipsch production standpoint! please excuse me lol[:S]..no offense please. I am just stating my experience

I will say from experience of my rf7II's i prefer all identical(my screen hangs from the ceiling) and have owned most all configurations xept the thx2 ultra mix although i have heard them in a similar room as my own & they are very well sound matching to theirselves

Look in my signature in the "Media Room". Those are all of the best speakers to match the RF-7's. The RC-7, RS-7's and RSW-15 were made/designed to be paired with the largest towers in the reference line, the RF-7's.