Connecting bare speaker wire.

davestef

Hi,

Can some one point me in the right direction. I've had my speaker wires just wrapped around the screws at the out put of the amp and input of the speaker. I went to radio shack to see if they had any better solutions. They had some crimp on spade lugs, but i thought i'd run it by my fellow klipsch people first to see if yall have any advice. I looked up a few older threads, but they were a little confusing.

Crimp on lugs are not the best solution. If you're going to use lugs, they should be soldered to ensure a proper electrical as well as mechanical connection. Wrapping the wires around the screws and tightening them firmly is a fine way to make the connections. You can enhance the conductivity by putting a very thin coating of Deoxit on the wires before attaching them.

What tube fanatic said...It probably makes little or no audible difference but if you like the convenience of lugs or banana plugs..go for it. Otherwise, as long as you have a nice, tight connection, you can rest assured that bare wire works as well or better than anything you can crimp or solder to it - simplicity rules!

With Cornwalls and Heresys, the screws always come loose with bare wire. The back of the cabinet is the target of a considerable amount of vibration.

The idea is to get a gas-less connection if possible, and all things being equal, a good crimp is as good as a solder joint. With the right tool, it's easier to do too. Also consider that a good crimp is better than a cold solder joint. You can't mess around though, you need a real crimper and some quality spade lugs (I use Panduit). For small quantities (and I've never understood this), AutoZone carries higher quality small electronic parts and wire than Parts Express. I used .0000 steel wool and denatured alcohol to clean the parts before I crimp or solder. Use small locking washers and bear down hard enough for the screw head to dig into the surface of the spade.

• 2 weeks later...