Blown fuse on Klipsch Synergy Sub12

SRN

Hi,

Disclaimer: I am not an electronics expert.

I have a Klipsch Synergy Sub12 subwoofer (almost 7 years old). Recently the fuse blew on it. I have replaced the fuse with a 3.15A 250V slow blow fuse from radio shack. This is the recommended fuse model. However, the fuse still keeps blowing when i power on the sub-woofer. I hear a short grinding noise and then the fuse blows.

I called the Klipsch service line and was told that I need to replace the electronics in the sub-woofer. They quoted my $165 for an electronics part. I was also told that it is a very easy install.

Does this sound right? I am looking for some advice on if i should buy this part and attempt to install myself OR buy the same sub on Amazon (available for $299). If i buy through amazon will i get the manufacturers warranty on it? I believe Klipsch has stopped making this product.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

I don't disagree with the previous two posts. However, IMO, this is a good sub for the price (I paid $160 3 years ago) considering that you have it for 7 years. Don't throw it away just yet. Check the original fuse and make sure that the new fuses are the same. It also happened to me. The original fuse blowed about six months ago. I replaced with what I thought a slow-blow fuse. Three blown fuse and some clicking sound that pointed to the plate amp. I opened up the amp and check the circuit and found nothing. I checked the new fuses against the old and it turned out that they are not what RS claimed.

• 3 years later...
On 7/29/2013 at 5:21 PM, SRN said:

Hi,

Disclaimer: I am not an electronics expert.

I have a Klipsch Synergy Sub12 subwoofer (almost 7 years old). Recently the fuse blew on it. I have replaced the fuse with a 3.15A 250V slow blow fuse from radio shack. This is the recommended fuse model. However, the fuse still keeps blowing when i power on the sub-woofer. I hear a short grinding noise and then the fuse blows.

I called the Klipsch service line and was told that I need to replace the electronics in the sub-woofer. They quoted my $165 for an electronics part. I was also told that it is a very easy install.

Does this sound right? I am looking for some advice on if i should buy this part and attempt to install myself OR buy the same sub on Amazon (available for $299). If i buy through amazon will i get the manufacturers warranty on it? I believe Klipsch has stopped making this product.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Hi,

A recent power surge caused my Klipsch Synergy sub12 to not power on.  I think the blown fuse is the cause.  Can you point me to the location of the fuse?  TIA

7 minutes ago, dinh19 said:

Hi,

A recent power surge caused my Klipsch Synergy sub12 to not power on.  I think the blown fuse is the cause.  Can you point me to the location of the fuse?  TIA

If i recall its right above the power cord, if not it should be located somewhere on the amplifier plate.

7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

That's the spot but the new fuse will most likely blow.  The Sub 10 and 12 are notorious for that and it's always an amp issue.  Good luck.

CECAA850:

Last question... is this the correct fuse?  -->  "Bussmann GDC-3.15A 3.15 Amp Glass Time Delay, Low Breaking Capacity Cartridge 250V UL Recognized"

I'm going to try replacing the fuse this time.  If it blows again, then it's time to upgrade!

Thank you.