HDMI splitter? Pros? Cons?

dimanata2007

hello guys.

I'm using HDMI cable for video signal (goes from BD player directly to TV) and optical cable for audio (from BD player to receiver). Unfortunately because of optical cable transfer capabilities I'm not able to get True HD audio -it down grades to Dolby Digital. in my understanding I got only way to go -HDMI for both audio and video.

one option is to use HDMI from BD player to receiver and use second HDMI cable to connect receiver and TV.

second option is to get Y-HDMI splitter and run HDMI cables to TV and receiver.

I don't see much sence in sending video signtal to receiver and prefer to send it directly to TV because sometimes we prefer to watch movies without using receiver and direct HDMI connection in this case comes very handy.

will I loose or gain anything by using HDMI splitter?

I have the same problem, another way.

I want to split off the cable box to the TV and my BDP. To the TV so my gf doesn't have to push "8" buttons to make the TV work. To the BDP for when I watch TV/Movies/etc.

I'm thinking there will be major handshaking problems with a Y splitter. However, I'm no expert on HDMI cabling.

Will be interesting to hear from an expert on the situation.

I recently added a splitter for the same reasons., my receiver does processing to the video which kind of yucks up bluray's.

I got a Rocketfish powered switcher and have had zero problems.

On a side note....running my ps3 with an optical connection allowed disc's to be played via PCM . Other than seeing DTS or True HD on my receiver there is no upgrade in sound quality.IMO

• Like 1

No problem,, I think as long as its got its own power source the handshake issue goes away.

My receiver got some terrible reviews because of hdmi switching,( pita), so I was hesitant about adding a potential problem, but so far so good.

I hope it works well for you also.

• Like 1

No problem,, I think as long as its got its own power source the handshake issue goes away.

My receiver got some terrible reviews because of hdmi switching,( pita), so I was hesitant about adding a potential problem, but so far so good.

I hope it works well for you also.

what is "handshake"? distortion?

I'm planning to use regular Y-splitter, not looking to spend $80-100+ for a good powered splitter.

maybe I'm under "placebo effect" but I do feel defference between Dolby Digital and DTS and prefer DTS.

but DD True HD and DTS-EX down converts to regular DD and DTS due to connection type (at least according to my "googling") and I need HDMI to stream True HD and DTS-EX.

if I would hook up my BD to AVR by HDMI cable would I gain much better (notisably better) sound? Dolby Digital and DTS vs True HD and DTS-EX any significant difference, or optical connection just as good as HDMI in my case?

A handshake is when 2 components are hooked together, let's say, with an HDMI cable. There are other components which perform handshakes, also.

The handshake will be when the receiving component says "Hey, I am this component and I am expecting this type of protocol." HDMI protocol in this case.

Then the sending component says "OK, I will send you this type of protocol." Which will be HDMI audio and video.

It's a communication between the components to make sure they are on "the same page" with the protocol.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much.

Hooking up your BDP to your AVR with an HDMI cable is the best for you. Optical cable has limited bandwidth for the more advanced audio options.

Grab some Redmere HDMI's from monoprice.com Excellent cables for a great price.

+1 on this cable. They are very thin, and can make very long runs. I have a 75' one and have had no troubles.

+1 and +1

I have these and they are great! Inexpensive, ultra slim, great value.

Or, you can take out a second mortgage and get some Audioquests. They're perty.

thanks guys.

I've seen few articles about HDMI cables and also seen more than few users reviews stating that they've seen huge improvement in picture quality when they switched from cheap to expensive HDMI cable.

I found Microsoft branded cable at home- thick but flexible insulation, gold plated connectors, holographic logo -looks pretty fancy :) and already hooked it up.

anyway, first time ever my receiver displaying True HD and HDMI symbols on display! :)

we are watching "Revenge of Fallen" Transformers tonight and I'm gonna let you know if really changed anything.

I recently added a splitter for the same reasons., my receiver does processing to the video which kind of yucks up bluray's.

On a side note....running my ps3 with an optical connection allowed disc's to be played via PCM . Other than seeing DTS or True HD on my receiver there is no upgrade in sound quality.IMO

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=40821

good read for you. You are def not taking full advantage of the offered hd tracks on blu ray with optical

good read for you. You are def not taking full advantage of the offered hd tracks on blu ray with optical

My father was deaf, I am not..That's kind of a rude statement.

I have things ran with hdmi, that's why I have the splitter,,and to ME ..there is not a major difference running things as bitstream or PCM..

Thanks for the link...but I don't think it will correct my hearing.[;)]

• Like 1

My father was deaf, I am not..That's kind of a rude statement.

I have things ran with hdmi, that's why I have the splitter,,and to ME ..there is not a major difference running things as bitstream or PCM..

Thanks for the link...but I don't think it will correct my hearing.Wink

you took my statement completely wrong. I was simply stating by using a optical cable you are only getting Dolby digital or dts soundtracks. You are not even hearing the Dolby true HD or dts-hd. You are right about PCM and bitstream sounding the same because they do. But in this case you are getting 5.0 standard definition sound instead of 7.1 high definition surround sound.

HDMI Cables.....odd things....cable should be cable, just the quality of construction different but.....I had my ps3 hooked up with an hdmi cable, bought a new ps3 and got no pic, same cable. After some research changed cable, it worked fine, then tried the old again, no pic. I returned that ps3 and got another one, the old cable then worked fine on it. Obviously the ps3 had an issue with weak hdmi. Strange but proved there is some diff in cables.

That said I use a 50 ft hdmi from my pc to avr, ebay, $20 delivered, works great for years.

not sure if my HDMI cables are high end or not (one is 2-3 years old Phillips, another one is no idea how old Microsoft branded cable, both got thick insulation and gold plated connectors) but everything works fine.

we watched 2hd and 3rd part of the Transformers yersterday and even though I can't say that I felt huge improvement I sure love the DTS-HD sound and didn't see any degradation in vidio signal even tough some say that AVR receivers "crash" intensity of the black and darker colors.

I'd say surround effects are brighter and more defined but since I never watched these movies in BD and DTS-HD before I cant speculate about "huge improvement".