HDMI splitter? Pros? Cons?

dimanata2007

I recently added a splitter for the same reasons., my receiver does processing to the video which kind of yucks up bluray's.

I got a Rocketfish powered switcher and have had zero problems.

On a side note....running my ps3 with an optical connection allowed disc's to be played via PCM . Other than seeing DTS or True HD on my receiver there is no upgrade in sound quality.IMO

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=40821

good read for you. You are def not taking full advantage of the offered hd tracks on blu ray with optical

My father was deaf, I am not..That's kind of a rude statement.

I have things ran with hdmi, that's why I have the splitter,,and to ME ..there is not a major difference running things as bitstream or PCM..

Thanks for the link...but I don't think it will correct my hearing.Wink

you took my statement completely wrong. I was simply stating by using a optical cable you are only getting Dolby digital or dts soundtracks. You are not even hearing the Dolby true HD or dts-hd. You are right about PCM and bitstream sounding the same because they do. But in this case you are getting 5.0 standard definition sound instead of 7.1 high definition surround sound.

Scrappydue, you are correct about me not understanding your statement, I was way off base and pretty defensive with my response. I would like to apologize for saying you were rude, when in fact you were trying to be informative. The only thing rude in our exchange was my response. I am sorry.

• Like 1

It's all good. I was in a very good mood this morning so it didn't bother me at all. Smile

Good for you, evidently I wasn't .

I have a question regarding the output from bluray's..I run a 5.1 system,ps3 set to bitstream (using hdmi [;)] ) .

On discs such as The Hobbit, the audio is DTS -HD MA English 7.1 .

Since I am only running 5channels , my receiver is modifying the 7.1 to 5.1 correct? then on discs where I cannot change the audio menu to 5.1 my receiver is just deciding to send the 4 surround channels into 2, right? So am I missing the HD sound by not having surround backs?

sorry for the run on sentences .

• Like 1

I'm using 5.1 too. in my receiver's setting if "No" is selected for the rear speakers and "ON" or "AUTO" selected for the 7.1 to 5.1 convertion than rear speakers audio signal will be mixed with surround L and R signals.

but if "NO" is selected for the rear speakers and "No" for 7.1 to 5.1 convertion these rear audio signals will be not be played at all.

I guess we are not missing much, we just hearing 7.1 through 5.1. in my opinion most important thing about True HD and DTS-HD that they are less compressed higher quality sound format and 2 extra SRS speakers not really important.

Am I wrong?

HDMI splitter: I am using one from monoprice. $24 and works great to split the receiver output between the projector and TV.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=2

HDMI cable: I use the regular ones from monoprice (not their cheapest, but the thicker gauge), one of them a 30-foot run. Works great.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024005&p_id=3963&seq=1&format=2

It's all good. I was in a very good mood this morning so it didn't bother me at all. Smile

Good for you, evidently I wasn't .

I have a question regarding the output from bluray's..I run a 5.1 system,ps3 set to bitstream (using hdmi Wink ) .

On discs such as The Hobbit, the audio is DTS -HD MA English 7.1 .

Since I am only running 5channels , my receiver is modifying the 7.1 to 5.1 correct? then on discs where I cannot change the audio menu to 5.1 my receiver is just deciding to send the 4 surround channels into 2, right? So am I missing the HD sound by not having surround backs?

sorry for the run on sentences .

im not 100% on this one. My down stairs is 7.1. But living room is only 5.1 capable. I assume that my avr knows what it is supposed to be doing with the extra channels. Even though mine is 5.1 receiver it plays the true hd tracks just fine. Obviously only shows 5.1 on the little speaker diagram on the display. I definitely would not go into the menu and pick Dolby digital over the true hd and miss out on the lossless soundtrack. [:)]