RS3 or RB5 for Rear/Surrounds?

alynmar

I would appreciate some advice on rear/surround speaker selection. My receiver is 5.1 with DTS and Surround and I listen to a lot of CD's via a Toshiba DVD player. Current speakers are KLF-10 mains, C-7 center and KSW-10 sub. I don't have the space for another set of towers and would guess that the RS3 would be a good all around match for TV movies,and DVD video.

How would the RS-3 be for CD music or would the RB5 work with all applications?

Thank you,

Alan

------------------

Alan, DTS suggests using direct radiating rears and Dolby suggests side-mounted multi-pole rears. If you are picky, for music listening the direct RB-5's would be better. I have the RS-3's side mounted and they sound very nice for both DTS and multi-channel music listening. If you have the chance try both at home and see which you prefer. Also the RS-3's are available in white, but often have to be ordered. The RB-3's are available in real wood veneer where as the rest of the ref line is black vinyl. I cannot and should not make a clear suggestion other than to listen to both. I do believe that you cannot make a bad decision between the two.

Good luck and happy listening!

JT

I appologize for my typo up top on the "RB-3's" which should have read "RB-5's". Doug has a very good point. You could "A/B" the rears, but it could get a little pricy. Another thing to consider is your listening position. I really cannot use RB-5's for rears because my couch (aka. Home Theater Throne) has to be against the rear wall. It would be very hard to find an acceptable mounting position for the RB-5's, where as the side mounted RS-3's work out quite well. DTS suggests that the listening position be several feet from the rear wall and the rears should be toed in to the listening position. Although there is not a large difference, I prefer DTS to DD, but I am stuck with DD's positioning suggestion. I really shouldn't say "stuck with" because I am very pleased with my Klipsch speakers. I hope this has been of some help.

JT