Cap on data usage

Knorbu

I got an email from our cable/ Internet / phone provider ( Cox ) , that we went over our data usage " cap" last month for Internet . Evidently we average around15 gigs ,or more,of usage a day,and are "allowed" 250 gigs a month.

I have 2 teens at home who spend way to much time watching YouTube , Netflix, and online gaming evidently. I am streaming music wirelessly from a laptop to a Squeezebox for a few hours a day, and am guilty of streaming a couple of tv shows from amazon prime a couple nights a week. My wife piddles around on her iPad playing games.

I have changed the settings on Netflix to the lowest quality, and don't stream anything HD , told the kids to not download games, and left most cloud services set to off, in addition I hooked the laptop up to the squeezebox with a Ethernet connection( which takes the ipeng app away and totally bums me out) I have also looked at all settings on the wireless network and changed the passwords on wpa2 for the router.

According to the data usage meter on Cox's website we are averaging using 10 gigs a day now.....still seems like a lot to me. Other than us all getting a life and not using the Internet does anyone have any suggestions on what consumes so much usage? ..School starts in a couple of weeks so the kids usage will decrease , and football will be starting up, so that will be all I watch on tv ..evidently not on Cox's newly acquired ESPN3 tho.

it seems to me that having a 250 gig cap on usage is kind of retro in this age of instant everything and all the high tech gadgets.

If all Internet providers are doing this , then buying stock in the movie Studio's that release blurays and DVD 's is probably a good move , the streaming services are going to take a major hit.

Is anyone else going through this?

• Like 1