RF-7 II and Rc-64II Hz

ryder

Hey guys i have rf-7 as front and surround rc 64 for center have jl fathhom 113 subwoofer.

Have emotiva umc-1 processor and xpr 5 for power when i use calibration umc 1 set hz set like this

Front rf-7- 40 hz,

rc 64 Center- 80 hz,

Surround Rf-7- 130 hz,

so is it normal or i need to set all them 40 hz what u think

just myself with that power amp there is reason to set the cross at that high , I'd set them just above the roll-off point of the speaker

30 for the 7's

60 for the RC64

I'm not a expert in any way here ,

but I am a firm believer that using the woofers in any speaker to their fullest extent is best . In a HT I like to have that bass coming at me from all directions instead of just from my subwoofer .

the point of having a power amp is that you can use the all the bass from your speakers & not have to cut them off well before where they roll-off

setting @ 80 or higher & passing off that to the subwoofer is a rule that I myself don't agree on

I agree. Maybe run the calibration a few times. I have the RF-7 II and RC-64 II I have them all crossed at 60 hz, perhaps in your room that is what the processor thinks is best. Power should not be an issue for you, so you may play around with settings and see what you think sounds best.

From a power management stand point, I favor a higher xo, I use 80 Hz for everything even though I have 200+ watts external amps on the front and center speaker. I would not xo the center lower than 60 Hz. Some people feel female vocal get a little bassy with a low xo and , it does nothing for male vocals. I paid good money for my subs so I let them do what the do best, play the bass. Speaker distortion start to rise 10-15 Hz above what the manufacture states for the frequency range. I love the sound of the 7's full range in my 2 channel system so, high xo or low xo will most likely sound good. As far as speaker roll off, a real low xo is not necessary for proper blending with the sub if the autocalibration is done correctly. A good sub can go dow to 20 Hz which mean it is the best bass producer in the system.

I would experiment and see what sounds best to you....since you have a good amp I would set the RF-7 IIs to full range and RC-64 II to 60hz.....Try that then set it back to 80hz.....listen to some music and watch your favorite scene in a movie to see which sounds better to you....For me running the 7s full range sounded way better but your results may vary....experimentation will be your best friend

If your subwoofer is in an optimal location, I would also try 60 Hz as a happy medium between the 40 Hz your RF-7s can do and the 80 Hz before the bass gets localized. As others have mentioned, there is no one "correct" answer but imo your sub is going to hit those lower notes more cleanly and give your speakers a little more Headroom to hit above the crossover point at loud volumes.

..Surround Rf-7- 130 hz, so is it normal or i need to set all them 40 hz what u think

Oops. Missed this--There is no way I would cross RF-7s above 80 Hz. I run RF-3s as side surround and Audyssey (or more correctly, Denon) set the crossover at 40 Hz and I also raised them to 60 Hz along with my RF-7s.

I think a lot of forum members like a xo of less than 80 Hz because the roll off of ported towers with and 80 Hz xo can sound bloated with a lot of avr's. Most avr's use a 2nd order HPF which is designed to be used with a sealed speaker. and combined the roll off is a 4th order 24 db slope which is what most subwoofer will roll off .for the LPF. Ported speakers have a lower f3 or 3 db down point which mean some frequencies are a little higher in the midbass. Setting a lower xo mean less bass is getting into the mid bass and may sound a lot cleaner. This is just my guess.[:)]