Lightning Strike--Tree Shrapnel

BEC

So Bob....may I ask what else you sell besides speaker parts and trailers? Got any shine over there?Big Smile

No shine yet, but could I interest you in a battery charger for your electric fork lift or your electric golf cart? We sell a thousand or so of the battery chargers per year.

http://www.critesspeakers.com

http://criteschargers.com

http://critesautosales.com

Wow, glad you are all O.K.

So your surge protectors did no good (re: the components you listed)? Does a warranty cover that? Didn't I hear Mr. Lee of Monster Cable talking about that kind of warranty, or is lightning excluded?

Part of our Family Myth is that my great grandmother was struck by lightning, bitten by a cotton mouth (not at the same time) and lived through both. I'm guessing that the lightning merely struck nearby and she got the spill-over. For the cotton mouth, she used a butcher knife to cut out the flesh where the wound was, and poured some whiskey over it. She went on to have several children, lived into her eighties, and one of her kids lived until 103. It always seemed to me that they all had a sort of electrical sparkle.

The heat from the lightning also vaporizes the moisture inside the tree causing the expanding gas to go outward any way it chooses.

That is correct. Considering a typical lightening strike could be as much as 5 million volts, and it will instantly heat up something 50,000 degrees. More than likely the sap in the tree pretty much flashed to steam in an instant and all that steam pressure all at once and we can see why a tree like that would explode apart.

Several years ago, while hiking/swimming at the river here in town, got caught in a thunderstorm. Lightening struck a tree about 50 yards or so away from where I was standing. You'd think I was Jesus the way I got across that water as I was cought out on a small island and then hauled serious *** up that hill to get back to my vehicle! Had to check my shorts after that one!

I have a 90ft radio tower behind my garage that serves (among other things) as a nice lightning rod - keeps the house, trees, and directv dish nice and safe. It usually get's hit at least once during real storms. it's the weirdest thing to be at the center of a strike and hear the thunder roll away from you instead of towards. glad everyone is safe!

This is kind of a weird thing I found awhile back.....If you notice a lot of static in your house or a hotel room or wherever your sleeping for the night. When you get in bed and shut the lights off, let your eyes adjust for a minute or 2. Then as your laying in bed separate the comforter from the sheets and watch for small lightning in-between.......I've had some spectacular results from doing this....weird I know.......but when it works......It's amazing!!!...