Surround for RF 83 and 64

botelerc

I am going to pick up this set up, this weekend. In the future I will be looking for some surround speakers. What speaker will match this setup the best. I really want something on small end. am thinking Mirage odm 5's. Has anyone else tried these with a similar set up? Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks,

Chad

Don't mix speaker brands. It will work but, since you are getting a Flagship setup, why not one of the RS surrounds? The RS 64 will complete the set. Due to a smaller size than the RS 7 I am running RS 35's in my family room and they look great with the rest of the speakers. If you want small speakers the RS 83 HT is not the one, lol. The RS 42 and 41 will work better than the Mirage.

Mirage is now built by Klipsch, but I don't know how different they sound. I don't really care about the actual woofer/tweeter size so much as the actual speaker size. I want a small speaker, preferably one that is a bookshelf type or on easy to hide, or just pleasent to the eye. That is why I like the odm 5, epecially in the rosewood.

• Moderators

The RS 64 will complete the set.

If you are looking for a smaller speaker, the RS-64 would not be a good choice as you can see, it is MUCH larger than the RS-62. One of the smaller surrounds would be the RS-42.

Although surrounds get much less information than your front three, they still play a significant role in the overall envelopment from a movie. You don't want to skimp too much in that area.

klipsch-rs-64.jpg

• Moderators

Looking at the Mirage vs Klipsch, you would get much more dispersion out of the RS-42 than the odm 5. This helps prevent the localization of the speaker. The RS series are designed to disperse the sound in such a way that it "surrounds" you. Just my thoughts.

The RS 64 will complete the set.

If you are looking for a smaller speaker, the RS-64 would not be a good choice as you can see, it is MUCH larger than the RS-62. One of the smaller surrounds would be the RS-42.

Although surrounds get much less information than your front three, they still play a significant role in the overall envelopment from a movie. You don't want to skimp too much in that area.

klipsch-rs-64.jpg

Sign me up for that RS-64 please! [:o] I'll take two...

I've got RS-62's to go with my rf-83's and rc-64 and am very happy with them. They probably are a little overkill for surrounds, but it's nice having the head room just in case. I also suggest RB-61's for rear surrounds if you start looking for those as well. Wouldn't trade either for anything unless I hit the lottery and get a room full of jubs and/or khorns.