Wood Wave Horn Tweeter Driver Klipsch K-77 replacements

cheric

I saw those on Ebay the other day. They look great, but I don't want to be the first person to pull the trigger on one. Looking and sounding great are not related, and there is a lot more to making a horn than cutting one on a CNC machine. I am sure they sound fine, but I don't want to be the first person to take him up on the 7 day return guarantee. I wonder why he didn't get involved with Bob Crites on this project. Crites drivers are the best, and he could compliment them with the prettiest tweeter horns. Bob's tweeters are a lot more expensive than the APT-50's ($160/pr compared to $50/pr), but he painstakingly matched these to the Heritage speakers. I have no idea what the seller of these horns' credentials are or how much effort went into the design and testing with the LaScala. I would love to hear reviews of these! thanks for the post.

unless he posts some testing &/or plots it's a crap shoot to the 1st buyers

Maybe someone could explain that to him & he agrees to offer up a samples to be tested .

If they test well they will sell to members here , they do look nice BUt as stated above looking nice dosn't mean they sound nice & sound comes 1st

edit ; I sent a fleabay message to him asking about if he has any testing info

here's my question to him & his response ;

Dear
kindred_images_and_creations,

can you provide some testing info
on how the response is .
they look nice ,but looking nice & sounding
nice are two different things .

his answer ;

We did test them in a friends studio a couple years ago when I made the first
pair and they had enough of a range to replace the k77. But didn't think I would
market them and didn't print it off.

To be honest I have all kinds of
speakers with a flat response but I always end up listen to my la scalas and we
both know they don't look very good on paper lol.

What these tweeters do
you won't see on paper, you have to hear them, everyone I talk to says the same
thing, they are less harsh, and sound silky smooth in comparison to the k77.
Some even say improved imaging but I don't hear it.

I'll give you two
weeks with these bad boys if you don't like send them back in the same condition
I'll refund your money. I don't want you to be disappointed with these, I'm not
marketing them for a career if I was if still them for a lot more money. I'm
marketing them because I love the way they sound and want others to enjoy as
well.
I will work on a new graph soon.
Thanks Jesse Lowell

-
kindred_images_and_creations

I invited him over to this thread ,

myself I running 2 ways at the moment & have no way to try these out

I'm interested but I have to hear back from someone on the forum who would have these in hand & try them

I am thinking of having my speakers as a 2 way & 3 way thru a switch that ALK has as a option for his system on his networks

that is down the road some for me as I'd have to get the tweeter part of his networks to even try these

they would match my Eliptrac-400 but looks are not a prime importance to me .

What I do find concerning is his mounting & the apprent tube before the horn actually starts .

any way will see how he responds :) they are interesting to say the least

I wonder if he would just sell the horn minus the driver ?

The APT-50 that I use is the original APT-50. When Eminence did the new APT-50-2, I tested it and found it just not good enough to use. Eminence agrees that it should only be used with in an active crossover situation. It's response curve is pretty bad. Anyway, I went to the orignal manufacturer of the APT-50 in Poland and now they make it for me.

Here is a link to the response curve of the new APT-50-2: This is the one they are using on the wooden horn.

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/APT50.pdf

Here is the curve for the original APT-50 that I use:

http://www.critesspeakers.com/apt50.pdf

The APT-50 that I use is the original APT-50. When Eminence did the new APT-50-2, I tested it and found it just not good enough to use. Eminence agrees that it should only be used with in an active crossover situation. It's response curve is pretty bad. Anyway, I went to the orignal manufacturer of the APT-50 in Poland and now they make it for me.

Here is a link to the response curve of the new APT-50-2: This is the one they are using on the wooden horn.

Wow, Bob . . . had not seen those graphs before. Pretty clear result. Makes me like Poland even more! Have your experiment with a wood horn lense associated with your CT125 development? Love my pair of your CT125s . . .

Holy cow Bob! The APT-50-2 response curve looks awful. Good thing you locked onto the manufacturer of the original APT50.

• 4 years later...

Opening an very old thread here..

Anyone know how to get hold of a horn like this?
I bought a pair of La Scala that came with a pair of Eminence APT-50. I think that they sound ok but I would like to have them installed inside the speakers as original. Mine are mounted on top.

It does not have to be these fancy wooden horns, I just want them look original.
Any ideas? 26ba41d972a3560494897548ca995153.jpg

Skickat från min XT1635-02 via Tapatalk