new wood tweeter horn

ZombieWoof

that looks to be a off the shelf adapter with short tube into a 4 bolt hole flange/mounting plate that he whacked over hanging sections off .

seem that just a 3/8 thick material that is threaded to the driver size so the opening of the driver meets the start of the horn is needed

IE; how ever deep the threads are on the driver's neck then that would be how thick the material would need to be ,if you catch my drift .

I was thinking eliminate the adapter altogether and use a bolt on driver.

Hi Dave et al,

Any idea what type of horn (conical,expotential,tractix) this thing is? Or does that not matter with tweeters? It sure looks neat, but........

I think you will need a tweeter attenuator if you try that DE 38 (or a DE 10) for that matter.

So an eliptical tweeter lens to go with the eliptrac squawker lens?

babadono

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Bob or someone that has tried this posts up. I too like the looks of this wood elliptical horn.But will it balance out with my stock Cornwall mid horn? I have CT-125 and new Crites Type B networks. Major improvement in the treble with CT-125 over my K-77 Alinco. I did not notice in that auction site if he sells just the wood horn? I am NOT sold on this yet vs what I do have. This $$ could go towards a new phono pre/amp and amp for the analog side of my system. .... Retired and have to watch my $$ and save up for music mods now.

Guest David H

Hi Dave et al,

Any idea what type of horn (conical,expotential,tractix) this thing is? Or does that not matter with tweeters? It sure looks neat, but........

I think you will need a tweeter attenuator if you try that DE 38 (or a DE 10) for that matter.

You are correct, would need attenuation for either driver.

I believe the horn is question is Conical.

I am not recommending this horn/driver combo to anyone, because there has been absolutely no testing. I just think it is beautiful work.

I will stick with my ContracT and DE-10, I know what to expect from that combo.

Dave

Hi Dave et al,

You are correct, would need attenuation for either driver.

I believe the horn is question is Conical.

I am not recommending this horn/driver combo to anyone, because there has been absolutely no testing. I just think it is beautiful work.

I will stick with my ContracT and DE-10, I know what to expect from that combo.

Dave

he calls it a wave guide ,

the attraction is the drop in factor & just how nice it looks,

But Dave is right until there is any testing done , it is just pretty to look at [<:o)]

Bob , I'd just be curious to how they preformed with your driver as they do look like a Eliptrac-400 horn

the draw back is the Eliptrac is a painted horn & those are a cool wood grain

but in a real world , I would have a better sounding horn/driver over Just a cool & pretty looking horn any day

& your CT-125 sound very good to me I still have 4 of them

when I start on a changing my current 2way set-up into my planned 2way / 3way switchable set-up

I will use your CT-125's again those drivers I will keep always

"when you have something good you stick with it " is my mantra .

My bad I thought he had a CT-125 hooked up to this wood horn. If would fit without a adaptor I would have painted it black to match my black Cornwalls if it imaged any better.

My Cornwalls are Piano Gloss Black veneer and all my electronics are black. Shame to spray paint the nice looking wood but it would not match for my look.

I am about the sound anyway and the CT-125 just like it is with Bob's new Type B networks on the nice looking cedar boards (no I did not paint them) they are hiding inside the cabinet :-) sound SOO much better then my old Alinco tweeters. Those wood horns are just Bling to me.

Louis

I had to re-read these posts and remembered Bob has a different horn on the CT-125 (Poland APT-50)and the source in Poland has a different way to mount. It needs a different adaptor to make this wood horn fit. Eminence APT-50 China made clone APT-50 has a different mount for horn. IIRC... from what I read about the CT-125 when I purchased a used pair for my cornwalls. Thumbs UP.

I can understand Eminence wanting the horn threading to be changed, as it opens up the possibility of using a variety of different horns. Switching to having them made in China was probably totally due to cost. OR the company in Poland didn't want to make the changes in the front casting.

Bruce

If I were this woodworker, I would try to make the Polish APT-50 thread into the horn directly. I'm not sure if a CNC can make threads, or if there is such a thing as a wood cutting die. Then I would collaborate with Bob Crites to test it. Bob knows what is good, and could distribute these things if they are.

I can understand Eminence wanting the horn threading to be changed, as it opens up the possibility of using a variety of different horns. Switching to having them made in China was probably totally due to cost. OR the company in Poland didn't want to make the changes in the front casting.

Bruce

Bruce,

I think there are several reasons. The thread was not a problem since Tonsil already had an adapter that changed to the standard 1 3/8 thread. One problem (I thiink this one is typical of lots of European companies) is that they shut down completely for a month or 2 during the summer for holiday. During that time, you cannot contact them at all. That is by email or phone or any other way. They are just plain gone. Also, Tonsil does not want to deal with Polish customs. They want to produce an order then set it on their dock in Wrzesnia, Poland and let their customer handle it from there. So, I have to hire a thrid party to handle the shipment all the way from their dock to me. Eminence is so big that they think they can dictate terms to all their suppliers but Tonsil did not go along.

Also, Tonsil does not want to deal with Polish customs. They want to produce an order then set it on their dock in Wrzesnia, Poland and let their customer handle it from there. So, I have to hire a thrid party to handle the shipment all the way from their dock to me. Eminence is so big that they think they can dictate terms to all their suppliers but Tonsil did not go along.

I can appreciate that. Dealing with customs in many other countries is a pita.

Your drivers still have the original threading? I know USSpeaker still has the adapters for those listed. I may get some while they are available in case I was to try these on some other horns. I've got two pair of the original APT-50 drivers.

Bruce