RP 5's...how much are they worth?

Bowen

Good morning. I found 2 RP 5 floorstanding speakers in the attic of my new house. They are brand new. I have no idea how much they are worth. Can anyone help? I am brand new to the Klipsch world and to the world of high-end audio equipment so have no clue what I have here!

With sincere thanks.

Bowen

Welcome to the forum.

I found 2 RP 5 floorstanding speakers in the attic of my new house. They are brand new.

That is very cool.

I have no idea how much they are worth. Can anyone help?

I don't know what they are worth either(don't pop up for sale too often) but this guy may buy them.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/175885.aspx

Bill

They're worth about $150 but I will give you $200![H] Lol. J/K. I owned a pair and they sounded awesome. Those built in subs do a GREAT job. I would think that brand new $600-$800 would not be unreasonable, I think, and others can correct me, they retailed in the $2k a pair neighborhood. A lot of times, especially in the stereo world, its not so much what its worth as what someone will pay! You should consider keeping! Killer pair of speakers!

You should consider keeping! Killer pair of speakers!

I actually agree with this sentiment. If you at least have access to a decent reciever/amp as well as a playback source, it certainly would be worth to hook them up and try them out.

I did a bit of searching around. Here is the Product Page from the Klipsch site on the speakers. Did a quick "google" on RP-5 review and found this piece on EnjoyTheMusic.com. Seems they indeed initially went for around $2K/pair. They are fairly rare (I've never actually seen/heard a pair myself), so I am guessing the $600 to $800 would be about right. Since the ones you found are brand-new and still in the original boxes, you may be able to get that upper $800 for the pair to the right buyer, perhaps even $900 if somebody is really willing to pay.

Still, definitly at least hook them up and see if they indeed work (they should), and at least check them out and see/hear how they sound. You just may end up keeping them. [H]

Thanks for these helpful replies! After some soul searching I have decided to reach out to the previous owners to make sure that they are aware that they left these behind. These are too nice...especially for a novice like me! I'll report back but definitely plan on plugging them in this weekend just to see what I have been missing! Thanks again to all for your time!

• Like 1

After some soul searching I have decided to reach out to the previous owners to make sure that they are aware that they left these behind.

Bro,

That shows you have a real conscience and awesome character. A little easier to sleep at night.

I'll report back but definitely plan on plugging them in this weekend just to see what I have been missing! Thanks again to all for your time!

Yes let us know how things turn out.

Bill

Thanks for these helpful replies! After some soul searching I have decided to reach out to the previous owners to make sure that they are aware that they left these behind. These are too nice...especially for a novice like me! I'll report back but definitely plan on plugging them in this weekend just to see what I have been missing! Thanks again to all for your time!

That is cool that you are doing that, and I would most likely be inclined to do the same (although, those speakers would at least have gotten a check-out via my Cambridage Audio Azure 640A integrated 2-channel amp. [H] ).

Well, if the previous ownders of that house comes back and tells you to just keep them, it may be worth hanging onto and at least enjoying them for a little while. Beyond that,you may realistically get that $800 or so out of them.

those speakers would at least have gotten a check-out via my Cambridage Audio Azure 640A integrated 2-channel amp. Cool

How do you like your CA 640A? Came close to picking up an 840A to match my 840C.

Bill

It has been a really good unit. I like how it sounds - pretty smooth with a good amount of detail. I picked it up dirt cheap on liquidation when Tweeter went out of business (paid $300 for it). For the time being, it is used to power the outdoor speakers until I can get my basement back in order to setup a dedicated two-channel rig down there.

So, I know you have all been on pins and needles waiting to learn the outcome of this little mystery...ha! I heard back from the previous home owners and they did indeed leave the speakers behind on purpose...hard to believe! I feel better knowing this.

I have not had a chance to plug them in yet but plan to do so...I may still try and sell. I will definitely advertise them on this site first though. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Thanks again for your helpful replies!

Trey turned me on to the RP 5 several years ago and they were really nice because the powered subs worked great for a straight low frequency channel in a home theater set up.....I sold the pair to a friend for $600 when I upgraded to some LS II's and bigger HT system. I can't say anything bad about them and at times wish I had kept them for my son, you will really be happy with them especially if you do a home theater..... the subs will really be a nice surprise when you watch a movie and the RP 5 kicks in and makes that deep bass really pop..........Steve

So, I know you have all been on pins and needles waiting to learn the outcome of this little mystery...ha! I heard back from the previous home owners and they did indeed leave the speakers behind on purpose...hard to believe! I feel better knowing this.

Wow! That is one hell of an item to leave behind on purpose! I guess they decided they did not want to deal with them or did not have room at the new place and just decided to leave them behind.

Well, looks like you are now the proud owner a new pair of Klipsch RP-5s. I would indeed definitly suggest you at least hook them up and give them a listen before trying to sell them.

The rp5's are space savers. The sub eliminates the need to run wires across a room for an actual sub. The subs in those bad boys are no slouches either. They can go low and pound your head. Pleanty of highs amd mids but it all balances out very nice. They are thin so placement options abound! Let us know what you think when you fire them up!!

• Like 1