KlipschTape, Vol. II - now out!

Amy

It's delightful. Its not often I get recordings with sound out past 20k. And this was recorded in 1955.

The quartet sounds like its in the room. The drums are a little loud so you can tell that PWK did nothing other than try to place the mikes and set good levels. Fascinating!

I would love to know what the pros in the forum think about this.

BTW check out the Howard Hanson, An American Romantic from Albany Records also at High Definition Tape Transfers. Like myself he loved a place called Chautauqua where he owned a cottage on the grounds of the Institute. I was in his old cottage last summer and saw the black and whites taken with him and Sergei Rachmaninoff. I had never heard of Howard Hanson before so when I saw this recording I jumped on it as I had never heard Howard Hanson's work.

I mentioned this a few days ago in the "right this minute thread" and was excited to get started listening!

I bought the FLAC version and while listening my wife asked me what that song title was. I looked at the title and said "September Song" to which she replied, "No it isn't!" I thought, yeah, you're right! At further inspection we found that at least a few of the songs were mislabeled. I emailed (HDTT) High Definition Tape Transfers since I figured they would want to catch this soon so they didn't release too many with the mistakes. He got right back to me to thank me and let me know they would look into it. Turns out about half a dozen titles were either swapped or wrong.

My wife is pretty good with these old song titles so she and my mother-in-law helped me listen to each one to identify each song. There were a couple we didn't know but someone else found those titles. We spent a couple of hours last night going through it all. I sent my list to HDTT and he sent a list back that was from another customer and didn't agree 100% with mine. Some of our titles we were completely sure they were correct but the other customer got a couple that we hadn't. I guess it took more than just a few of us listeners but it got straightened out. They now have the songs listed correctly on the web site but at this time the incorrect songs are still on the PDF file containing the CD cover and liner notes.

Bob with HDTT was very gracious and quick to respond. He was going to get it fixed as soon as possible. I can't help but wonder when the mistakes happened... if it was wrong for all these years on a yellowed label on the tape reel box?

Usually mistakes like this are a pain but this one created kind of a fun challenge for me and my wife!

NOW, ABOUT THE MUSIC... This is a great recording and a fun listen!

EDIT: The downloads have been changed to the correct titles.

Please explain why.

Primary reason is that it's the only digital format that can be transcoded to any PCM format without dithering as 2.8 or 5.6 mhz divide essentially evenly into all PCM rates.

Besides that, it's the only one besides 192/24 that I've found utterly transparent. Vinyl I've recorded on my Korg was completely transparent as to source in an A/B test I conducted using the Virgil Fox Crystal Clear DD LPs, which are arguably about as good as vinyl gets.

Those are the main reasons.

Dave