New Cornwalls (31 years old)

Heritage_Head

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RF7 IIs are no match for Cornwalls, i.e. References don't compare to Heritages!

Yeah, I have read that from a lot of the old timers on this forum over the years but here in my house, it just has not gone that way. I chalk it up to a lot of the old timers that just don't like change, no matter what - they refuse to accept it. For some it's the placebo effect and for some it just may be nostalgia. It's almost a 100% chance that these same guys claiming this have never had the RF-7 in their home. Here in my house with my gear, myself and several friends could not pick a clear cut winner between RF-7's and Chorus II's and most people will tell you Chorus II's sound better than Cornwalls.

I remember years ago they had a Klipsch gathering of sorts at Klipsch, I guess in Indy and I'm pretty sure DeanG was there with quite a few other members. If I'm not mistaken they had RF-7's and Khorns in a room. At one point one of the engineers at Klipsch or some employee walked in and mentioned how nice the Khorns sounded, not knowing or realizing it was the RF-7's actually playing. That is what I always refer to as proof in the pudding. I may have that story a little mixed up but that is the gist of it. Someone that works at Klipsch thought an RF-7 playing was actually a Khorn. I'm not implying the RF-7 will out perform a Khorn or Belle just for the record. I do know it is capable of giving the La Scala, Cornwall, Chorus, Forte and so on a run for the money.

The very first pair of Klipsch I bought about ten years ago was RF-7s which I gave to my sister. And I will say again, they don't compare to Cornwalls!

It's almost a 100% chance that these same guys claiming this have never had the RF-7 in their home.

Closest match I have heard to a CW would be a either of the Chorus models or the KLF-30. Even then, turn them up, stand back a ways and tell me which one has bass that hits you in the chest....[:)] although, that may not be the sound you are after.

I sure miss my CW II's

I got my new x over today (type B) from bob. Pretty easy to put in. Just matched up the holes with the old x overs and was able to drill two holes in the new x overs to fit perfect in the same spot :). I do hear a cleaner midrange and top end. With less strain in the overall sound. Not that it was strained sounding but its even more refined and clear. Its such a high level already that your almost splitting hairs to make that even better. Needless to say I'm glad i got them.

RF7 IIs are no match for Cornwalls, i.e. References don't compare to Heritages!

Yeah, I have read that from a lot of the old timers on this forum over the years but here in my house, it just has not gone that way. I chalk it up to a lot of the old timers that just don't like change, no matter what - they refuse to accept it. For some it's the placebo effect and for some it just may be nostalgia. It's almost a 100% chance that these same guys claiming this have never had the RF-7 in their home. Here in my house with my gear, myself and several friends could not pick a clear cut winner between RF-7's and Chorus II's and most people will tell you Chorus II's sound better than Cornwalls.

I remember years ago they had a Klipsch gathering of sorts at Klipsch, I guess in Indy and I'm pretty sure DeanG was there with quite a few other members. If I'm not mistaken they had RF-7's and Khorns in a room. At one point one of the engineers at Klipsch or some employee walked in and mentioned how nice the Khorns sounded, not knowing or realizing it was the RF-7's actually playing. That is what I always refer to as proof in the pudding. I may have that story a little mixed up but that is the gist of it. Someone that works at Klipsch thought an RF-7 playing was actually a Khorn. I'm not implying the RF-7 will out perform a Khorn or Belle just for the record. I do know it is capable of giving the La Scala, Cornwall, Chorus, Forte and so on a run for the money.

Its that same reason that i bought a pair of corns (reading how much better they are over the last 3 years). I think me and you are hearing the same thing but like you said some are just really huge heritage fans and just being a fan can sway an opinion a little. With that said these corns do show up and perform at a really high level so with that and them being huge fans already its not hard to tip the scales a little.But I do think for 2channel music the corns seem to have more forgiveness to less than reference grade recordings. The rf-7ii cant stand lower quality stuff and we suffer for it lol. The rf-7ii also are more power hungry and need a good amount of power to get that chest pounding bass. The corns pound your chest with very little power. Its a win win for me i have both love both and do think they are worth all the hype they get and more. :)

Closest match I have heard to a CW would be a either of the Chorus models or the KLF-30. Even then, turn them up, stand back a ways and tell me which one has bass that hits you in the chest....Smile although, that may not be the sound you are after.

I sure miss my CW II's

I would disagree on the klf-30. Unless you upgrade them they cant touch an rf-7/rf-7ii. I have not had them in my room for an a/b but i have heard them and they are not in the same class as an rf-7ii or a cornwall in over sound. I do know they pound really good bass though.

The very first pair of Klipsch I bought about ten years ago was RF-7s which I gave to my sister. And I will say again, they don't compare to Cornwalls!

It's almost a 100% chance that these same guys claiming this have never had the RF-7 in their home.

Well if you have owned both then i respect your opinion. I have read others that have owned both that agree with you so your not alone. My comparison was with the newer RF-7ii version. That might not matter but just saying. By the way your an awesome brother to give your sister the 7s. Wish my sister would give me some klipsch speakers lol. :)

Fat chance!

Wish my sister would give me some klipsch speakers lol. :)

What bother me is that her husband is a conductor and thinks the sound of Bose is better then Klipsch. Personally, I have no respect for Dr. Bose and I think he's a gimmick!

keep in mind that both the KLF20 and the KLF30 have factory installed poly tweeter diaphragms in their K79 motors. The poly diaphragm is an awful sounding diaphragm and should be replaced with a Crites ti diaphragm. A second caviet is that the KLF20 and the KLF30 mid horn (identical units) has very thin walls which flex under pressure from the woofers when played hard. I brace and damp my mid horns and the problem goes away. These two thing have a significant impact upon the performance of both these loudspeakers. The third point to keep in mind and which is something very few owers ever other to check for is baffle adhesive problems. I have owned three sets of KLF20 and all of them have had baffle issues. This was a factory issue due to defective adhesive. If the baffles on a KLF20 or a KLF30 are coming loose then the speaker will not sound right. The only way to establish if youy speaker has loose baffles or not is to remove the drives and check by hand or with a rubber mallet. Short of a propper check there is no way to know past poor sound.Best regards Moray James.

I swapped out the k-77 tweeters, the crossovers, and the woofers in my Cornwalls with all the Crites gear and the audible difference was noticeable. I may be crazy but it sure sounds like my Cornwalls are more efficient now and they sound great. That and they are ready for another 50 yrs of pounding great tunes!!

Spider Talk....

I thought that I should mention something I used to do years ago when
playing with full range drivers, that is to add damping over the
spider. The spider or inside lower cone suspension is that corrugated
orange or brown fabric material which connects the cone (where it joins
to the voice coil) to the basket. Most people do not realize it but the
spider all by it self can and does make a lot of sound (read noise). I
have found that two layers of 1/8 inch SAE rated F-11 felt cut into a
doughnut shape and installed to lay flat over the spider will damp out a
significant amount of "spider talk" (the noise the spider makes). This
has a most impressive impact on the quality of sound your woofer makes
and it also improves articulation as the noise the spider makes tends to
smear transients. With very large heavy cone woofers most of the
spider talk is suppressed but with high efficiency (light cone speakers)
the cone material is light and thin and any spider talk just shouts
right through.

While we are here a layer of Dynamat on the stamped steel basket will
also help suppress basket ringing. Again most folks figure this is not
necessary but I can assure you that once you try it you will hear easily
the difference of with and with out. If you have a bass cabinet which
is not braced in any way these mods will likely be lost on you for the
most part as the box talk will drown out the spider talk and basket
ringing.

These are easy simple to install and inexpensive mods to do which
will help to take your speaker (any speaker) to another level. Best
regards Moray James.
PS: I use three layers of 1/8" thick F-11 felt on all such installs now.