Subwoofer recomendations for La Scalas

Rusty Melton

I was hoping for some help on picking out a subwoofer for some La Scalas. I was using a Sunfire mkII and it's woofer bit the dust last week so I guess I'm in the market for a good sub. I'd like to keep it around the 1500 dollar make if at all possible, but would like to get something good enought that I'm not looking to upgrade to soon. I use them with a Scott 299d most of the time but sometimes I use a bryston 4b and I'm afraid they might leave some subs in the dust when I'm using it. Any personal experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for and advice,
Rusty

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sub was plans that i built off of but there are people who build them also.

There are quite a few different models and brands to choose from.

Bill Fitzmaurice, Danley tapped subwoofer, JBL, and others.

My Tuba matches perfect, i could not ask for anything better to compliment my LaScala's.

As you probably heard already horn loaded drivers sound different and if you like what you have stick with it.

Rusty, I run a 18" sealed Dayton DIY sub (4 cubic feet) powered by a EP4000 with my LS. I'm not sure if you are into DIY or not. I've found that my sub plays nicely with the LS for movies and music. However, my listening area is not that big, so a single 18 does the job for me. Horn loaded subs are definitely something I'm considering for my next DIY because their distortion is low and power requirements are low. Yet, they put out a tremendous amount of bass. Just my personal experience. Good luck!

A bit out of your price estimate and if your not into DIY then the JTR Orbit Shifter (horn loaded) could be an option but an expensive one. I see they are on sale at the moment for $1699 but then youd need to find an amp to go with it as its passive. Needs to be powerful (up to 4000 watts) so a pro amp fitting the bill would add at least $600 to that. I cant say it would pass WAF but performance would not be an issue ever again.

This is a horn loaded sub I build to go with my Lascalas. It's roughly a 18" cube. Sounds great. It's in a room that's about 19' by 21' and has no trouble keeping up even though it has an 8" driver. I cross it over at 70Hz.

The finish on your sub is fantastic. Is there a thread about the build?