Subwoofer recomendations for La Scalas

Rusty Melton

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't know how in the world I'd fit two horn loaded subs in my room! That SVS is already pushing the size limits for me but I'd like to check that out sometime. I'm convinced that I'm not going to bother with one sub again. It will definitely be a pair. I want 2 channel... top to bottom!

I just don't know how in the world I'd fit two horn loaded subs in my room! That SVS is already pushing the size limits for me but I'd like to check that out sometime. I'm convinced that I'm not going to bother with one sub again. It will definitely be a pair. I want 2 channel... top to bottom!

It's really personal, I don't like ported direct radiator subs, while many people prefer them.

For myself they are adding extra bass that's not there and it's late.

In my opinion the Tuba LP that's the long 6 foot version standing on it's end behind each LaScala is the way to go.

They can be built in 18" x 16" foot print which is a sheet of ply sliced into thirds to make the panels and fitted with the Dayton Reference Series 12" Alloy Cone driver they are a nice match for the LaScala.

They can be positioned in the corner behind the LaScala mouth down raised 18" above the floor. The sound comes out around the sides and over the top of the LaScala and gives easy toe in adjustment for the LaScala.

I built a pair for my LaScala and they have the same spacious qualities the LaScala bass horn has and only produce low bass when there is low bass. I have time aligned the system with the Ashly NE8800 using 4 ART SLA-2 amps. It was an experiment to see how the 12" driver version compared to the 15" version. I have used both the Dayton DVC 15" and the Dayton Reference series 15" Alloy cone driver and my favourite is the 15" Alloy Cone Reference Series which reproduce clean cymbals and other high frequencies during break in testing even though they are sub woofers.

They are a much better match when compared to the KP-480's.

Well I finally got around to taking a few pictures of my basement-workshop stereo set up. As I said earlier I have it hooked up to a Scott 299d that Craig did for me a few months back and it's hooked up to a couple of Denon cd players and a Technics SL 1200 turntable. The receiver on the speaker is a Concept 11.0 that I use whenever I want to listen to the radio, but that's not very often.

And to everyone that's suggesting a horn loaded sub I'm on the process of having one of those built by my wifes brother as soon as I figure out which one to I'd like to try out. But I don't think this one will be going anywhere soon as I can use it somewhere else in the house if I like the horn loaded one better.
I hope these pictures turn out on here, I tried earlier and it cut half of them off so I resized them and hope it worked. Well I see it still cut off some of the picture but oh well, I'm not smart enought to post pics on here it looks like, lol.[Y]

0c5265fe-5a97-4314-9547-0cdf98017ec2_zps

005_zps3d5891c3.jpg

Looks good down there with all that wood! I like it. Well I hope you don't get rid of it. Horn sub won't be near as pretty to look at for sure. Although I'm sure someone is gonna post a pic of a high gloss black one that is pretty lol. Well I am glad either way this baby went to a good home. If you decide to do the theater room then this one can go in there if you like the horn better. Mine are all up and running and a review as well as a minor build thread is coming soon

Looks good down there with all that wood! I like it. Well I hope you don't get rid of it. Horn sub won't be near as pretty to look at for sure. Although I'm sure someone is gonna post a pic of a high gloss black one that is pretty lol. Well I am glad either way this baby went to a good home. If you decide to do the theater room then this one can go in there if you like the horn better. Mine are all up and running and a review as well as a minor build thread is coming soon

Oh the svs is not going to be for sale, it's a great sub! I have zero complaints with it and it sounds great with everything I played. And you are right it is a fantastic looking sub, the wood looks so nice. I'll take some better pictures of it this weekend because those pictures sort of suck, lol.

Yeah I bet that Carl guy comes in here and posts some pictures of his pretty black sub before long, that show off. Seriously though, that sub is the one that made me want to have one built, it's a stunner for sure. Carl why did you have to show that to me?[6]

Well I see it still cut off some of the picture but oh well...

If I right click on your pics and choose "view image" the whole pic shows up. The pics erally look great and show off all the beautiful wood in the room. Looks like that is an oak cabinet in the center of the room.. absolutely gorgeous!

Bruce

I had two KPT-684 (dual 18" Klipsch subs) powered by a Yamaha P7000S amp connected to my 6 LaScalas, and the sound just wasn't right. I simply couldn't make it work! Those subs will rattle your teeth and are way louder than the THT's (powered by a Crown XLS-202) they replaced.

Now I have the THT's put back, and the sound is seamless. Frankly it sounds as though the LaScalas can hit 22Hz. It is a complete different quality.

I had two KPT-684 (dual 18" Klipsch subs) powered by a Yamaha P7000S amp connected to my 6 LaScalas, and the sound just wasn't right. I simply couldn't make it work! Those subs will rattle your teeth and are way louder than the THT's (powered by a Crown XLS-202) they replaced.

Now I have the THT's put back, and the sound is seamless. Frankly it sounds as though the LaScalas can hit 22Hz. It is a complete different quality.

In a friends hotel as an experiment, I built three THTLP with Dayton DVC 15" kevlar drivers to operate as subwoofers below four KPT-684. They are packed together to make a mouth 24" high 54" wide. The low end is now ridiculous. Just the way we like it. Using a bridged Yamaha P4500 nominal 12ohm. crossover 70hz to the 684 then 110hz to eight KP-362's.

You will get more out of the 684's when you relieve them of below 70hz. The 684's become faster as the ports are not doing anything. Be careful of your ears with the transients. Wearing ear plugs has become the norm at my friends hotel, lol. It's the feel of the music that blows people away and has them talking, though, I find it necessary to leave the room for a body break as continually being squashed make you tired.