Searching for the "warm" sound that I want back...

kde

I started with a Pioneer Elite receiver pushing the THX Ultra 2 package and, then tested an Onkyo that felt "cold" (quality - just not my style). Ended up with the Emotiva UMC paired with the Emotiva UPA 7 amp. I liked the Pioneer sound a bit better. I believe that I have enough power as I don't push the system too much. I don't think I want to update to the Emotiva XMC whenever it's released...so starting to look at other options. I would hook back up the old Pioneer but it doesn't have HDMI and it would add cables to my rack (but it could be done -- sell UMC and use Pioneer to pass some time and old unit is just sitting in a box). Or the Marantz AV7005 is avail for ~$800 online and I hear that it would have a good chance of having the "warm" sound I am looking for.

Not to get into a receiver / processor discussion... but also looking at one of the year old Pioneer Elites (to save money) and using some of the power to push the surrounds while using the amp for the mains. Then I'd have the Pioneer sound. Not sure how much different the Marantz processor would be.

Lastly, I could get the new model Marantz with 4k ability (future proof - don't have 4k tv) but not really looking to spend $1,600 for a minor upgrade.

Starting to ramble... so... I'll stop here...

I was looking at the NAD T 187 processor (didn't even know they made receivers).

I have been using an NAD T175HD pre/pro for about 1.5 years and have been totally satified with the performance and reliability. The NAD and my Acurus amps have taken my RF-63 system to a level I could not have imagined. At least in my system I would not consider the NAD to be "warm" in the sense of vintage 70's "Marantz warm" but slightly on the "warmer" side of neutral. This allows for a very detailed midrange with crisp not sharp highs and a very soothing sound that could be listened to all day.

I have never owned any NAD receivers with HDMI but do own an older flagship T773 receiver that is powerful, reliable, and was used for 1.5 years as a pre/pro before I found my T175HD.

Bill

kde, here are some Newer Pioneer Elite avr's from $500-800. They have the power, and connectivity options that you are looking for. All these avr's offer some really nice features.http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SC-61-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B008530P7W

I saw the Pioneer SC61 listed in a few other threads. May lean that direction. When I made the "switch to separates"... I didn't think I would return to the world of receivers so quickly. I am having trouble rationalizing why the Marantz AV7005 is the same price as the Pioneer receivers. Some of this is just in my mind... brand, advertising, etc. Does Marantz not have a good following in the Klipsch forum? In our local shop... they push the Anthem brand and state the Marantz is a re-modeled Denon (I may have missed some key points and don't want to infer a solid statement that I can't back up). For some reason... I feel that if I stay with processor vs receiver... the Marantz is a safe bet.

I am having trouble rationalizing why the Marantz AV7005 is the same price as the Pioneer receivers. Some of this is just in my mind... brand, advertising, etc.

Because the AV7005 is not the current model, the AV7701 is the newest pre/pro. The original price of the AV7005 was $1499.99.

You can get the AV7701 for $1099.99.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARAV7701/MARANTZ-AV7701-7.2-4K-3D-AV-Preamp/Processor-Networking/1.html

Does Marantz not have a good following in the Klipsch forum?

Of course the Marantz brand has a good following on the forum.

In our local shop... they push the Anthem brand

Anthem pre/pros are considered by many to be the standard by which other pre/pros are judged.

and state the Marantz is a re-modeled Denon

I don'tknow how true that is but some of their models do share some of the same parts and functionality but with each own's subtle tweaks.

r some reason... I feel that if I stay with processor vs receiver... the Marantz is a safe bet.

Jeff Tubbs(jtubbs) on the forum bought a Marantz AV7005 this year from A4Less and has been totally satisfied with the performance, reliability, sound quality, etc. He is using it with McIntosh, Anthem, and NAD amps with his RF-7 system.

Bill

Anthem is more of a boutique type product because it's can't be broght in as many places. They are good solid products. I have heard several of their models but, I would still give the edge to a good Pioneer Elites. The Elite sound is just clean, powerful and detailed. Denon has a nice sound and of all the avr's I would say it is the one I equate with a warm sound. So, Marantz is most likely similar. Almost all of the brands have a loyal following.

HK is the only one mentioned I would call warm. Of course NAD is as mentioned maybe warmer than neutral.I have a old Marantz stereo receiver from the mid 70's, the pre pros do not have that sound by a long shot.........

• Moderators

I began my audio journey with an older HK and it was very "musical" and had fantastic separation of musical instruments. Moved to a newer Onkyo and didn't like it near as much for music. Then went to Yamaha and it was ok, then to UMC-1 (good sound but never could get the EQ dialed in right), then I finally decided to go back to my first love, my current HK and I couldn't be happier.

Truth is, our ears hear differently and it's easy for us to make recommendations but what sounds "warm" to me might sound "neutral" to you. I'm not even sure what "warm" sounds like anyways. [:P]

Best thing to do is demo as many brands you can. If that isn't possible, you might be best to go back to the sound that you know your ears will like

It terms of power... I use the Emotiva UPA 7 (~100 watts per x 7 channels = 700 watts). I have 7 speakers hooked up to it... so assume ~100 watts per speaker. If I add a receiver with 100 watts per channel (7 channel receiver x 100 watts = 700 watts)... and use the amp for the mains -- does that mean I have 700 watts from the amp divided by 3 (left, center, main) so ~233 watts per speaker plus the receiver for the 4 surrounds (700 / 4 = 175 watts per speaker)? Is this correct?

Does it matter if the amp is class A/B and the receiver is class D? Does it matter than the mains will have more power than the surrounds?

You'll still have 100 wpc unless your receiver has a method of direction unused power (doubtful) to the mains.

It doesn't matter how much power you have going to each speaker as you'll be calibrating the system so the output is the same from all channels. Some channels will have more headroom though.

Based on what you stated above... is it correct to assume that adding a receiver to the mix would not add any more power than just sticking with a processor (with zero power)? Everything would just stay connected to the amp.

• Moderators

I don't believe channels can borrow power from unused channels. If you have a 7 x 100 amp and only are using 2 channels, you won't get 350 x 2, you will get 100 x 2 and 5 channels will just be unused. That is my understanding of it.

In your setup, adding a receiver will not add any additional power. You can either use a receiver as a prepro to save some money or you can use a dedicated prepro.