Forum member makes good

Arkytype

Klipsch forum member Greg Roberts (best known for his V-trac horn and Klipsch restoration projects) should be proud. The September 2013 issue of Stereophile features his beautifully executed Vittora loudspeakers. Art Dudley's Listening column has nothing but praise for the Vittora's all horn-loaded design. The review is not on the www.voltiaudio website yet, but you can get a look at the gorgeous models Greg has built.

Here's a link to an interview from June, 2012 which gives us insight into Greg's design process.

http://dagogo.com/an-interview-with-greg-roberts-of-volti-audio

Lee

• Like 1

Very nice article, but it is sad he isn't staying in the Klipsch upgrade business. He does some of the best looking cabinetwork I have ever seen on speakers. Greg is a man who is truly following a passion. A true success story.

Congratulations Greg!

• 2 months later...

Someone just sent me the link to this thread. I haven't been here in a long time, geez it looks really different around here. Had to jump through a few hoops to get back into the mix.

Thank you for the kind words guys. I've been working my butt off to try and make Volti Audio into a real business that might someday be sustainable. It's hard.

The review in Stereophile worked out great. Art Dudley is such a nice guy. There wasn't another writer/reviewer in the industry better suited to reviewing the Vittoras than Art. I was very fortunate that he came into my room at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in 2012 and was quite taken by the Vittoras. I'm very pleased with the review of course, but what totally shocked me was the Class A rating in the October issue of SP. That is REALLY cool.

Still recovering from RMAF 2013. We made the best sound we've ever made there. A lot of credit goes to Gary Dews of BorderPatrol Audio and his fantastic 300B amplifiers.

My most recent newsletter if anyone cares to read it http://www.voltiaudio.com/newsletter/NL25.shtml

I'd like to say that I'll be hanging around here more often, but I'm just so busy lately. I'll try to check in now and again.

Greg

• Like 1

Greg, I was just wondering if you were ever going to get around to thanking the people here that made this possible? Al K, Bill Martinelli, John Warren, and to the guy that suggested the drivers to you. I read the review and was somewhat disappointed to see no mention of this forum and the indispensable help you received from it. I still remember Al taking the time to teach you so many things, including making you remove the putty you had added into the transition area of the throat of the V-trac - a design you could not have pulled off without Al K, JC (James Cullison), or Bill. I wish you the best, but please don't forget from whence you came.

I have never heard a Volti, but I can say this. The thing I love about his speakers is the craftsmanship and the beauty. Greg may have been helped a lot at this forum, but unless this forum also taught him woodworking, fastidiousness, and art, this is not from whence he came. True, he should mention the people who helped make it happen. Starting with his mom, his music teacher in the 9th grade... I think you expect a bit too much. Coming down on him for your colleagues not being mentioned is a bit harsh. I for one am glad he is back, and would hate to see him get run off the day after he returned.

Sorry Dean, but I think this is one of those times where you are being a bit harsh.

• Like 1

This isn't about taking anything away from him (he is an amazing woodworker). It's about him giving credit to those who made it possible. I'm not being harsh at all - even PWK said he stood on the shoulders of giants. So, what is that bass horn exactly, and where did that 2" Tractrix come from? What about those drivers - where did that idea originate? Are you really going to force me into posting the threads? I'm only saying out loud what at least a dozen have told me in private after reading the review. The normal reader can only be left thinking that he is a top notch designer of horn loaded loudspeakers.

I know what you mean, and I also know that those people deserve thanks. His passion brought him to this forum just like my passion brought me here. Just about everything I know about audio I learned from you all. I am very thankful for this forum and regularly tell people who have audio interest to come here. I don't know of a single person who has, but it really means a lot to me. I doubt at Greg's age you are going to do anything to influence his humility. Perhaps in the next interview he will acknowledge those who were influential in his technical growth and those who helped design his flagship. Bringing these things to a public forum may be a bit harsh. If he is here, then a private PM may be a bit more pointed and a lot less accusational. You are great at what you do, and I know you regularly mention those people like Al who have been instrumental in your personal growth into what I think is a great mind for audio and electronics. What can I say, I like ya.

• Like 1

Cancer changed me. The clock is always ticking and I can always hear it. I was always a "to the point" kind of person and as transparent as possible without leaving myself too open. I'm not as nice as I used to be. Bob says I'm "grumpy", Deb says I'm "ruthless". My boss recently told me to "cut the other engineers some slack". Tick tock tick tock -- there is no time for that. People need to wake up, and I mean that in the most literal way possible. I'm tired of the silly games, the manipulating, the flat out bullshit that passes for acceptable behavior in this world. You know, I do nice work too, but as you noticed, I've always given the credit to those who made it possible. I'm applying an acceptable standard to Greg, and he's had ample opportunity to do the right thing. When he has had the opportunity, he has deflected (see his response in the letters section at Stereophile's website). So sure, a PM (he would probably have ignored) might seem more appropriate - but that doesn't accomplish that which I'm clearly trying to accomplish - doing that what he should have. It's okay, I have to do that now all of the time everywhere I go - at home, at work, at church, and yeah - here on the forum too. When it finally sinks in that you might not have a lot of time left, you quit working within the framework of processes - but events. I'm actually happy for Greg, it's awesome - and thanks to Greg, a Klipsch Community effort was brought to fruition, put on public display, and then given the highest grade possible. Something that never would have happened without Greg's skills and resources. I'm not publicly flogging Greg at all, but just trying to reign in that massive ego a little. I just think everyone here deserves to know that this thing wasn't completely created in a vacuum.