amp problems

davestef

I bought some deoxit D5 and tried it on the pots on my old pioneer amp. I also read online that people use it to clean the tube sockets on tube amps, so i did that. I always had more noise and rumble coming out of right channel, but after using deoxit on the tube sockets there is barely any sound coming out of the right channel. I can only hear a very faint sound coming out of the right channel when I put my ear next to the tweeter and squawker. I messed around with the speaker wire/terminal connections and that should be fine/not the problem. When i first turned the amp back on after the dexoit on the tube sockets the right channel was very distorted. I fiddled around with the phono/tuner/aux knob as that used to get rid of the rumble for a while, but this time the right channel just cut out. I'm not really sure what happened. Any thoughts?

Which form of Deoxit did you use? It's available as a spray, long tube applicator, brush, etc. How much did you apply? With the spray in particular it's sometimes possible to oversaturate the control into which it is applied. Did you also treat the selector switch? Have you tried jiggling the tubes involved with the right channel to see if the sound is restored? More info would be useful.

Maynard

In many cases with severely oxidized controls, switches. tube sockets and tube pins you should spray them once let them sit for a few hours to allow the Deoxit to do its duty loosening oxidization and then re-spray everything. It's also helpful when spraying the controls to work them through the entire rotation or action. With tube sockets plug the tube in and out a few time right after spraying.