Option advice for RSW-15 placement

ajoker2c

Hey guys,

I just acquired an excellent condition RSW-15 for I think cheap (400) and had a friend pick it up and I'll get it next friday, when he returns to town. In the meantime I'd like to get your consensus of what my options are to place it my apartment livingroom / ht set up. The room is 22L x 13W ft. I've included a pic of front wall, but did some measuring and appears I can't place it along there as it is to tall for my pull down screen. The only 2 options I see are beside my 2 channel set up, but that partially blocks my R Quartet and blocks even more the satelite, media player/blu ray shelf. Other option is in back left corner of room and 7 ft from front of sub to main sitting area. I cant put on leftside of screen as it would block the entrance to room if I pulled it out far enough to avoid the screen when down.

If I were to be able to fit it in the front wall would it be ok to set my RB-81 on top of it?

I think I'm specifically asking if putting in back of room would work and things I would need to look out for by doing that, or if there are other options I'm missing?

I have the rt-10d and love it , but couldn't resist the urge to pick this rsw-15 up after reading your great reviews on this sub and testing it out. If it doesn't work, I can store it for when I move into a bigger place or flip it or the rt-10 to subsidize a rf-83 or 63 purchase if and when they come available up here in Canada.

Thanks!

Congrats on the great find. There's nothing wrong with having yourself in the rear corner

Thanks Youthman! I couldn't resist and acted quickly to get it done. My buddy was right beside me when the seller responded to my response with phone number. He said he received a lot of email inquiries but I was first and he was very helpful to get it done.

I can't wait to get it in here.

If I put myself into the rear corner I'd have a ton of room for it....lol

I hope it can work out back there though!

Steve,

Congrats on the RSW15 find. You will love it.

Other option is in back left corner of room

Other option is in back left corner of room

My buddy has his RSW15 in the rear right corner just behind his second row of theater seats and it shakes not only the seat right next to the sub but all 8 seats. His theater is 18W x 24L x 8H and this sub does pressurize the room. I think your RSW15 will complement your RT-10d very well.

How is that Acurus 200FIVE treating you?

Bill

• Moderators

Thanks Youthman! I couldn't resist and acted quickly to get it done.

I did the same thing when I bought mine. The seller had it listed for $750 on CL. I emailed, asked for a few pictures and at the time, I had dual velodyne HGS15's. I REALLY didn't need a 3rd sub and had no idea how it compared to an HGS15 so I was taking a gamble at buying it. I offered $350 which was what I had available at the time. He said thx but no thanks. Next morning, he texted me and said if I wanted it, I could have it for $350 cause he needed the cash more than he needed the speaker. It was a 3hr round trip but just like you, it was a no brainer. You RARELY see them below even $600 so $400 is a steal bro! I'm pumped for you because I know how great this sub sounds.

I hope it can work out back there though!

There is no doubt it can work back there. Granted, each room offers different bass response in different areas so you may get more or less bass response in the back of the room. Even with less, it will probably be closer to your listening position so it might work very well there. You won't know until you test it there.

Here is a thought as well.....try swapping it with the RT-10d just to see how it performs in it's place. You might find yourself selling another speaker. [:P]

what flavor, black or cherry

Don't forget Maple too? [:D]

congrats on your new sub, 400 bucks, gimmme a break. your neigbors ain't gonna like it.

what flavor, black or cherry

Thanks, it was actually 450 when I tossed friend 50 bucks to do it.. No neighbours here living above a storefront and an 75 yr old deaf man under me in rear and no where near my living room. It is a Maple one. My buddy who picked it up is a an old cabinet maker and said he can reglue a peice of veneer that's slighly pulled off and use some sort of iron to remove 2 scratches on side.

Steve,

Congrats on the RSW15
find. You will love it.My buddy has his RSW15 in the rear right corner
just behind his second row of theater seats and it shakes not only the
seat right next to the sub but all 8 seats. His theater is 18W x 24L x
8H and this sub does pressurize the room. I think your RSW15 will
complement your RT-10d very well.

How is that Acurus 200FIVE treating you?

Bill

Bill, thats very encouraging to read, thanks! The Acurus is thumping right along smoothly. Replacing my RF-35's with RB-81's hasn't reduced anything really and the 81's are working great so far as L&R with the Acurus feeding them. I thought I'd miss out some midrange with just the 1 8" woofer, but I'm not hearing it.

You RARELY see them below even $600 so $400
is a steal bro! I'm pumped for you because I know how great this sub
sounds. Here is a thought as well.....try swapping it with the RT-10d
just to see how it performs in it's place. You might find yourself
selling another speaker. Stick out tongue

Don't forget Maple too? Big Smile

I'm pumped as well [<:o)]

I'd
like to try swapping it ,but it wont work in my front as it's too big
and wont allow my screen to pull down to where it needs to be unless I
move my screen forward about 10 inches, which I think would be too
awkward.

Thanks TDK, that's good to hear too.

Congrats on the RSW 15. I don't know the best place to put it but, keep the sub with the best HF performance near the mains and run it with the xo all the way up. I have used multiple non-identical subs over the last few years and like the synergy. The reason I said to keep the best HF performer close to the mains is for blending. The second sub if needed can be xo at a lower point to help it not be localized. Even though the rule is to defeat the sub xo, at times, cascading filters of the sub with the avr can cleanup the sound and be a real plus. Let us know how everything sound.[:D] Something tells me this should be a nice combination.

keep the sub with the best HF performance near the mains and run it with the xo all the way up.

The second sub if needed can be xo at a lower point to help it not be localized. Even though the rule is to defeat the sub xo, at times, cascading filters of the sub with the avr can cleanup the sound and be a real plus.

Let us know how everything sound.Big Smile Something tells me this should be a nice combination.

Thanks Derrick, so if I this correct, with my UMC 1, I would set the UMC-1 with bass XO at 120, then set the RT-10d to 120 (or off) as it's the one at the front. Then set the RSW-15 to around 60 (or around there) to fill bottom in but not too loud as to localize it?

I get it Friday when friend comes back to town and will certainly take pics and share my thoughts and possible questions.

I am not famailar with the UMC 1. The speaker can be xo at 80 Hz and defeat the sub by turning the xo all the way up or off. You can also defeat the 2nd sub but, if you can localized it then try the 60 Hz xo. The sub close to the mains will be more difficult to localize. If the UMC 1 has a separate LPF for the sub, the set it to 120 Hz. Remember that these xo are not brickwalls.

Derrick, I understand what your explaining, thanks. The UMC-1 doesn't have a LPF, but I believe I can globally trim the subs frequencies through EmoQ (if it's working properly) I have the rt-10 dialed in pretty good now with very little localization in this room and the RB81's RC64 front. I'm hopig it stays that way and the RSW-15 will pick up and fill up the low end that the rt-10 struggles to get to.

I think I'm explaining that right or have the right principles in mind.

I have my RSW-15 in the left rear corner behind me and bought a smaller RSW-12 to put in front on a side wall in front of a (unused) fireplace. Both are in less than an ideal place and sound AWESOME together...I don't notice that I have subs and the sound seems to emanate from the speakers.

Library Rear

With that size room i see why you don't need a amp :).

Walked into my office at work this morning and lo and behold look what greets me!! My friend said it was Maple but this one looks like the Cherry. Either way it looks in very good shape. Ill be throwing it into a cab tonight taking her home. I won't be able to test it out for a few days as I'm on a long stretch of consecutive days working. I'm using iPhone to post this so hopefully the pic I took posts.