Remote control for vintage stereos?

philly0116

How 'bout a passive preamp with a remote control? That would only work if you don't need phono, your sources have a high enough output and the amp has high enough input impedance. I don't know what those numbers are supposed to be but I have tried with nice success and also failed where the highs were getting rolled off. Also, short cables are important.

I have used a creek obh22 for just this kind of thing but they don't make it anymore.

Depending on the year of your stereo some of them had remote options. My '72 marantz 4270 had an optional tethered remote that put the volume and quadrophonic positioning on a little silver box to drag around the room. I never purchaed one even though they pop up time to time on ebay. What exactly are you looking to control?

You might have better luck training your dog to do this for you... of course the knobs might get a little slobbery.

(note: The passive pre is not ideal but might work for you. I just keep the volume up high on the passive and lower on the amp.)

I have a Jolida unit that would do the trick. Used it to add remote volume to a couple of different integrated tube amps, work fine Currently on sale on Agon ( https://app.audiogon.com/listings/tube-jolida-jd59a-preamp-control-unit-2013-08-23-preamplifiers-45069-west-chester-oh ). PM if interested, would sell for $250 shipped.

I usually listen to CDs or Music stored on computer. The CD players all have remote output volume, as does the computer. For anything else I have to get my Lazy b b b b butt t t t up and adjust the volume. Unless I happen to be sitting close enough to the receiver in living room to make adjustments from "MY" chair in which case I control everything,except for TV channel. Wife bought the TV, but all the stereo items are MINE!.........................Taz