I found the "hum"...

kde

Good news (for me)... I was able to track down a "hum" that has existed for awhile. The hum noise was a result of two Directv coaxial cables and one time warner coaxial cables being squeezed into a tight location between the walls. Each of these cables had connectors to extend the cables and therefore the metal pieces of the connectors were touching and causing interference.

Does anyone know of an existing product to keep these cables from touching? Otherwise... I'll likely just find some rubber sleeve to slip on each line. Hopefully the rubber will be enough to keep the interference away.

If you want someone to help seperate them build a zip tie loom. Something we do with spark plug wires all the time to stop cross fire. Zip tie the 2 cables togeather but leave it loose. Then add an additional zip tie buy wrapping it around the first zip tie in between the two wires. Pull everything tight and it will hold them apart at the intersection of the ties. The larger the ties, the larger the gap

post-55215-13819859527256_thumb.jpg

If you want someone to help seperate them build a zip tie loom. Something we do with spark plug wires all the time to stop cross fire. Zip tie the 2 cables togeather but leave it loose. Then add an additional zip tie buy wrapping it around the first zip tie in between the two wires. Pull everything tight and it will hold them apart at the intersection of the ties. The larger the ties, the larger the gap

Interesting...

• Like 1

I ran into a mechanically-caused hum a couple of years ago. I signed up for fibre-optic cable service that included a PVR. When I first set it up, the PVR was on top of the 35" CRT TV I was using then.

There was an odd hum that sounded like someone on another floor was vacuuming, even when everything was turned off. I finally tracked it down to the hard drive of the PVR, which sometimes spins even when the unit is switched off. Its slight vibrations were travelling down through the body of the TV and into the cabinet of the Belle that the TV was sitting on. The bass horn amplified the vibrations enough that you could hear the hum several feet away from the speaker.

I added some rubber padding under it, plus had the cable tech install different feet on the front so the PVR would sit level on the slightly slanted top of the TV. That fixed it, and when I replaced the CRT TV with a plasma unit, I reinstalled the regular feet and put the PVR in a separate cabinet, still on a thin rubber pad. No hum problems since.